5 speed manual trannies - How many of you were lucky enough to get one? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5 speed manual trannies - How many of you were lucky enough to get one?

I have a 92 Explorer Sport with manual transmission Mazda M5R1 I guess
(and I buyed another one "Just in case..." but this one is for a 4x2 vehicle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97 Ford Explorer 4x2 Sport

I've got a 97 Explorer with a manual. I have yet to meet someone in person who has one. Glad to know I'm not alone. And all of you are right, I wouldn't be happy if it wasn't a manual. Any got any recommendations for clutches. Mine's starting to slip and I can tell its about time to replace it. The only clutch I've replaced anything on is an old CJ 5. ANy help would be great.

i just ordered a centerforce dual friction one... i think its supposed to be one of the best performance wise for our trucks but if you just want a standard clutch kit i think you can goto http://www.dialaclutch.com/ and get a whole replacement kit.

SHaggy2d_77 said:
I've got a 97 Explorer with a manual. I have yet to meet someone in person who has one. Glad to know I'm not alone. And all of you are right, I wouldn't be happy if it wasn't a manual. Any got any recommendations for clutches. Mine's starting to slip and I can tell its about time to replace it. The only clutch I've replaced anything on is an old CJ 5. ANy help would be great.

Get a LUK Pro Gold complete kit from DialAClutch.com. I got mine from them and it works great. Price is good too.

BenS said:
Get a LUK Pro Gold complete kit from DialAClutch.com. I got mine from them and it works great. Price is good too.

How does this compare to the centerforce dual friction?

Originally Posted by paul99explorer

I have a '99 Sport. I bought it about a year ago and I wouldn't have settled for anything else. It took a couple months to find one. I really lucked out, b/c it had low mileage and was in great shape. However, mine shifts a little rough. If I'm revving pretty high, it scrapes a little from 2nd to 3rd. Kinda hard to get into 1st gear sometimes, too. Any ideas? Other than that, I'm really glad I have one. I love Fords, but I've never been impressed with the auto. trannies.

Paul I would take a hard look at the slave cylinder first. These concentric designed slave cylinders POS don't last. FORD has know about this problem and has helped some owners. They have redesigned them at least three times. If the fluid level looks good try to just have the system bleed. They are notorious for trapping air too.
Good Luck

Have a 5-speed on my '91 Navajo. Shifter starting to get a little sloppy at 210K.

Back