5 speed manual trannies - How many of you were lucky enough to get one? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5 speed manual trannies - How many of you were lucky enough to get one?

oh how i wish i had the 5-speed in mine!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have one!!!

Just bought a 94 sport and drove about 160miles round trip to get a nice 5 spd. Runs great and wouldn't have it any other way. Gary

I've got a '91 sport with a mazda 5-speed and auto transfer case and hubs. Bought it with 81k on it and replaced the clutch at 85k...that bit. I love the 5-speed but it gets annoying cruzin around town delivering pizza's since i end up shifting every 20 seconds.

I have a 5 speed in my '91 too... Manual trans, manual t-case and manual hubs :)

I have a 5speed in my 98 sport. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Newest reports...

Autotrader.com showed a private owner, 2002 4 door XLS with a stick. But the kicker is that it even had Control Track! Wicked! How I wish I had enough cash.

The for sale forum had a pretty nice '93 Eddie Bauer 4 door stick, with Touch Drive and auto hubs.

AlaskanJack said:
So let's see who on here has the 5-spd manual tranny and the manual shift t-case with manual hubs on a 91-94 Sport?

Mine does, 91' sport, manaul tranny, manual case, and manual hubs.
got 212K on it now, zero issues..
The all manual setup was the selling point.

And FWIW, the 5 speed is different from the ones in the trucks.
ex's go the M50OD-R1 and trucks got the M5OD-R2

saw a sport 5-speed 4x4x aith auto tcase and auto hubs for like 600 bucks the other day...too bad my cash advance line wont cover it. it was basically the same as what my truck started out as, same color and all.

I love my 5spd 2002 Sport.....zoom :)

love my mtx

i really enjoy driving my 95 sport 5 speed awd...and off road its great in first gear and the transfercase in low range.it really crawls!!!

You dont have awd man! :rolleyes:

I have a manual.

5-speed manual tranny

I got my 5-speed '02 XLS in Sept. of 2002. It was the last one in the midwest. I actually searched the inventory of dealers in IL, IO, WI, IN, KY, and OH. Got it from a central IL dealer. Whew!

I have a '99 Sport. I bought it about a year ago and I wouldn't have settled for anything else. It took a couple months to find one. I really lucked out, b/c it had low mileage and was in great shape. However, mine shifts a little rough. If I'm revving pretty high, it scrapes a little from 2nd to 3rd. Kinda hard to get into 1st gear sometimes, too. Any ideas? Other than that, I'm really glad I have one. I love Fords, but I've never been impressed with the auto. trannies.

Manual Trans

When my '02 XLS was new, until about 5k miles, it would 'ping' when shifting from 1st to 2nd - like gear teeth hitting each other very lightly at their tips. The dealer's tech said it was the synch gears and that most 5-speeds were like that. It went away after about 6k miles. The specs say these are Mazda transmissions. I've had no other problems since. I plan to change lubes in the gearbox, tranfer case, and differential when I hit 10k. Just wanna get rid of any filings in there.

Manual Trans

Auto trans don't do it for me. I think my 'chip' is better than Ford's. Love to engine-brake and re-accelerate from that lower gear. I'm not deep on trannies but you might wanna have your gearbox opened up by a good tech if reasonable. How's your clutch, pressure plate?

Ever thought of putting ALL that crap in one post? Jeez..

Try this first

paul99explorer said:
I have a '99 Sport. I bought it about a year ago and I wouldn't have settled for anything else. It took a couple months to find one. I really lucked out, b/c it had low mileage and was in great shape. However, mine shifts a little rough. If I'm revving pretty high, it scrapes a little from 2nd to 3rd. Kinda hard to get into 1st gear sometimes, too. Any ideas? Other than that, I'm really glad I have one. I love Fords, but I've never been impressed with the auto. trannies.

Paul, if its hard to shif into first, it may be time for an overhaul. I had that problem in my 92 at about 150,000 miles. The synchros wear out. I like my Ex so much that I went for the overhaul (big bucks). After about 1-1/2 years (this summer) it started getting hard to shift again. Oh, no! Well, nothing to lose so I tried draining the trans oil (ATF) and replacing it with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. Took it around the block and at first it was worse! Next day it was better and now it shifts better than before.

I have no technical explanation as to why changing to syntheic oil "fixed" it. Maybe the synthetic is more slippery or maybe it helps the transmission run cooler.

So, just try replacing the trans oil before you do anything more drastic.

Bob

I have one 92 Sport, here in Paraguay S. America

1992 Explorer XL 2WD
4.0L V-6
5 spd Manual Trans.
Manual Windows
Manual Locks
No Rear Defrost or Wiper
No Power Seats
No Mirrors in Visors
No MapLights

Strip down model, at best!

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have one of the rare manual explorers of the first gen, but the 4x4 is all electronic push button. With the TTB, power windows and doors, moonroof, rear defrost, cruise control, A/C and have 4 cup holders, a mystery to many.

And another rare thing I was recently told from the ford dealer that Sports (2 door) which I also have, will no longer be made for the explorer. After 2004 and definately no more manual transmissions.

Back