5 speed manual trannies - How many of you were lucky enough to get one? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5 speed manual trannies - How many of you were lucky enough to get one?

Between me and my family we have had a
'91 XL, '94 XL, '96XLT, '00XLS, '03 Sport, all manuals. For a short time you could get Manuals in a 2002 or 2003 4Dr but 2WD only. And they are extremely rare. After 2001 you can't get manuals in Sport Tracs anymore, and they were 2WD only.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its disappointing that we can't get manual trannies anymore. I had to order my '92 to get a manual. The salesman said only about 10% were made with the manual, and that was in 92. I have only seen 1 or 2 manual Explorers in the past 12 years.
I guess people are buying them as family vehicles and the guys always say, "My wife won't drive a manual", but most guys I know don't drive a stick either.

Ford did the same thing with the Escape, no manual except in the 2WD version.

I guess if you want a manual, you have to get a Ranger, or go to another brand. Is demand for manuals really that low?

Bob

Yeah unfortunatly demand is that low. Explorers in the last 5 or more years were the only mid size SUVs you could even get manuals in at all. And from the sound of it you may not really be able to really get a manual in a small SUV, and forget about full size SUVs. There haven't been manuals in full size in decades. People these days just don't want to shift I guess. And most people have no idea of the advantages that manuals have over automatics. People are just lazy I guess. :(

i've got the 5 speed in my 94 sport. i want to get the manual transfer case some day.

a we bit off subject...

My wife just recently bought a Jeep Liberty with a stick
I know it isn't my X but midsize SUV's with a stick are rare. We live in CT and had to go to VT to get it.
A bit torqueir (sp?) than my X (4L OHV) but I think my X has better get up and go on the highway. Both have 3.73's, mine 4L, Liberty 3.7L
Not a bad vehicle, but a Explorer it is not. :)

..plus it has 4drs, I love my Sport!

My '91 XLT has a 5-speed manual. I had to special order it as I couldn't find one on any lot. It's the Mazda tranny and went out at about 60K, no abuse, no towing, etc. I now replace the tranny fluid every year. And wifey won't drive it !

Bad Slave Cylinder

WoW!! I am surprised there are so many fans!! I have a 97 Sport with a 5-speed and I hate it. It suffers from the typical premature slave cylinder failure. I have been told that there are a couple different styles of slave cylinders for it. I was told that Raybestos makes a redesigned slave cylinder that has the throw out bearing incorporated in it. The dealer said that they think that theirs is the same style. (However, they still sell the throw out bearing separately) I heard that the failure of the slave cylinders is due to a defective lip seal. Does anybody know? Since the transmission has to come out and I want it fixed right the first time. If anyone has replaced their slave cylinder, I would love to hear about thier experience. I know there are some TSBs on this. Thanks

I had to order my 93 Sport also to get the manual tranny. I had to replace the slave cylinder once at about 112000 miles, but since I was using it for business the company paid for it so I didn't do it myself.
Its surprisng that even the Super Duties are amost impossible to find with a manual tranny. I've been looking all over for a new or low miles used one with the six speed and manual transfer case, forget it. I was told I would have to order it.

I have an automatic transmission with an electric transfer case. The funny thing is when I bought my Explorer, the original dealer sticker was in the glovebox, even though I'm the third person to own it. The original owner chose the automatic transmission as an option.

My 2002 Explorer XLS is a 5-speed. I bought it this past September with 15,000 miles on it. I really like it! They don't seem to be very common. I think they only made the new body style with a 5 speed in 2002.

'91 XL 2 door with a 5 speed......

Previously owned a 91 4dr 4x4 Eddie Bauer with a 5-speed....ordered it from the factory that way.

My 93 limited is a auto. Anyone ever seen a 5 speed limited? I used to drive a 5 speed chevy beretta, but now that I drive transport trucks all day. I don't think i would want a 5 speed daily driver.

I've got one and I love it. It's the only way to fly!:eek:

with mine it's a love/hate relationship. I've gone through 6 transmissions and just blew up my 10th clutch on friday. I wouldn't have it any other way. It's fun to get in arguments with people over whether or not it's a 5-speed.

it is my understanding that an auto is one of the standard features on the limited package, but as anything else, with enough money one can do about anything. WHEN i get back into the 4x4 market, that will be my project: 5-speed limited.

as for manual trannys in general, my cavalier is a 5-speed and i'm the same was, i wouldnt have it any other way...especially so with dual fart cans (yeah i know i turned ricer, but i will be back into the 4x4 market when i finish school)

bluestream said:
I think that 91 was the only year you could get an Eddie Bauer with a 5 speed. I almost bought one, but it would have cost $2400 more than my XLT, and the only option I would be getting extra was the premium sound system. I didn't think the beige paint trim was worth it. I would not think there would have been many sold.

Is there any way of getting sales figures from Ford?

I'm heading to Nebraska this weekend to pick up a 92 EB with 5 speed, so its not just 91 model explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My new ranger has a 5spd:D

Back