91-94 Explorer XLT W/6inch susp lift& 35" tires. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91-94 Explorer XLT W/6inch susp lift& 35" tires.

ryanexplorermods

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, CAN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Having looked around the site I am finding alot of great information. Some of you fellers have some awesome suggestions and knowledge.

Not being a mechanic by trade (yet able to do most things). I am now getting into the swing of things.

What I am looking for right now, are some specific details as to what I should do to a stock explorer before I add the 6inch lift(susp) and 35 inch tires.

I have the lift and tires already. I really want to stick to this items.

What engine mods will be worth getting, before the lift/tires.

What work is ABSOLUTELY NEEDED to support this kind of susp/tires.

What other mods would you guys do, that might not be neccesary, but you Personally feel would make this a capable, and long lasting rig; that gets driven 80% off road...and ALOT!

Thanks for the imput and have fun!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off welcome to the forum. I personally would suggest gears. At least4.56 would be best in my opinion. I have 4.10's with 33's and wouldn't mind having the 4.56's. No engine mods are really worth it to me, just take good care of it and you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck.:thumbsup:

A gree with cculter that all you need is gears. Although, if you're 80% off-road, I'd go with 5.13s. I have 35s with 4.56 and it's just not quite low enough even in 4lo on the trails.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

I would personally get some bigger bore exhaust pipes if I was doing mods as well as the rest. You will find some minor improvement on performance with glasspack muffler(s) also, besides that nice throaty sound. (Cherry Bomb lover) :)

The only mod you'd NEED to run 35s is new gears. Gears: 4.56 (street) - 5.13 (mostly off-road). As mentioned by the others 5.13s will give you great off-road performance (but at a cost of increased gas consumption (and top end) at highway speeds).

Things that aren't necessary but would be nice:

Wheel and Spindle bearings... How old are the ones you have? 35s are at the upper limit of a D35 axle. As such swapping out high mileage bearings maybe worth while. Same for U-joints; typically U-joints last 100k or so, but if you're rig is going to see lots of off-road action then you might want to replace them now before you explode one with 100k+ under it's belt..

After that I would look into getting an open cone type air filter like a KKM.. It will allow the engine to breathe better and being a few inches higher than the OEM air box will help prevent hydro locking when hitting some deep water holes. I would also run extended axle breather tubes as the stock breather (D35) is way short and can allow water to get into the axle.

What lift are you putting on and does it have extended brake hoses?

Back