Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't been following at all. I'll have to fix that ;)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I haven't been following at all. I'll have to fix that ;)

It's worth watching. If you haven't seen a sail boat go nearly 60 miles per hour, you should watch.

Some America's Cup pictures because I haven't been home to work on the Explorer;

The Adela
IMG_20130911_141256_073.jpg

The Adele
IMG_20130911_141337_218.jpg

The Oracle, Team USA
IMG_20130915_133926_288.jpg

The cup
IMG_20130908_113502_010.jpg

I'm confused...Your going to put solid axles under it, paint it yellow, swap the front end clip for a newer one, take it all over, break ****, move to KY. sell your big tires for bling rims then give up tare it all apart and start over???

Not one of your better ideas...

I think you have been out in the ocean air to long:eek:

We'll see you at T-haven next month and get you back on track

We're here to help;)

aefd056b-50a4-88c4.jpg

Stylin' :eek:

He's on this board, too.

AND, If it's who I think it is.. He came out to truckhaven and had cooling systems issues after coming down one of the big hills (parts hit other parts under the hood).

~Mark

No, chuckleheads, I like his SAS setup. I was thinking about mounting the coilover shocks as far out as possible on the axle, like he did. He has a radius arm / coilover setup with lots of flex.
Thanks for support. With friends like you...............................

:afro::biggthump

School me on coilovers!!

On Monday, I am going to drain my bank account ordering parts. Then will work on the rear disc brake swap.

I am looking at the FOA coilovers. Great price. I know you get what you pay for, but for the amount of use I get out of the Explorer, I think they should work fine. Daves Offroad is having a special on the shocks with springs.

I sent him a information request and got this;
"Brian Kennedy,

This is an auto-generated email from an address that does not accept replies.

The case number 123 has been updated.
You can check this case status by visiting this web page: http://davesoffroadsupply.com/crm.asp?mk=ljivwrlrpx-123

(Hotmail users may need to copy/paste this link into a browser manually.)

Important: If you have a "this is not spam" button in your email program, please click it to ensure you receive our next email when a representative responds to this case.

Ticket status: New

Department: General

Subject: FOA coilovers

Brian,
For the FOA's I would recommend going with the light/medium compression and firm rebound. I have sold that set up to quite a customers who use their rigs on the street or for high speed and they have had really good luck with them.

For the spring rates it is a little more involved than that. If you could follow this link and you will have to get some numbers on your current set up. http://vipercoils.com/calculator.html This should give you a very good baseline for where to start with spring rates. If I had to guess I would bet you will be around 200 over 250.

Thanks, Dave

Sincerely,
Daves Offroad Supply"

What spring rate should I start with??
You think light/medium compression and firm rebound sounds right?

Most of you know how I wheel, but for those of you who don't:
Like the narrow twisty trails, some rocks, but also street and high speed wash driving.

My spring rate and valving is radical compared to most because of where my coil overs are mounted. Spring rates are 450-650 which isn't going to do you any good...

I'm far from an expert but i'm running 200/250 on my Fox's and it seems just about right. I wouldn't be surprised if it's dead on for you or at least really close.

You could always contact Wayne at Alltech, he's out of Menifee. One of the main parts of his business is tuning suspensions and really knows his stuff. Over the phone he'll only get you close with spring rates and valving. If you get in on one of his tuning sessions out at the Hammers, he can revalve and if necessary respring too if he has them on hand.

Mine are 250/350.

Do you like that rate? Are you running a winch and heavy bumper up front, and does it matter?
What kind of off roading do you do?
I know how DB1 wheels.
I was thinking about going with a 250/300 setup so it would be just a little stiffer than DB's (I don't like body roll, I mean I really don't like it).
How about the compression and rebound recommended by Dave's Offroad (light/medium compression and firm rebound)?

Go back and find out what Jefe had...and don't get that! It flexed great, but body roll was so bad that he would rub tires on the top of the fenders turning at some speed in the washes:eek:

Do you like that rate? Are you running a winch and heavy bumper up front, and does it matter?
What kind of off roading do you do?
I know how DB1 wheels.
I was thinking about going with a 250/300 setup so it would be just a little stiffer than DB's (I don't like body roll, I mean I really don't like it).
How about the compression and rebound recommended by Dave's Offroad (light/medium compression and firm rebound)?

Mine probably hasn't been broken in enough yet to give you an honest answer. It honestly seems stiff to me at times on pavement, but maybe I was getting too used to the Bronco 5" lift coils (which was pretty much like driving a boat). Body roll doesn't bother me that much though, so I may not be the one to ask. I do have a winch/steel winch bumper up front. Most of my wheeling is in the rocks or your basic trail riding. Not real sure what to tell you about the compression/rebound, but that sounds like a good set up.

Mine probably hasn't been broken in enough yet to give you an honest answer. It honestly seems stiff to me at times on pavement, but maybe I was getting too used to the Bronco 5" lift coils (which was pretty much like driving a boat). Body roll doesn't bother me that much though, so I may not be the one to ask. I do have a winch/steel winch bumper up front. Most of my wheeling is in the rocks or your basic trail riding. Not real sure what to tell you about the compression/rebound, but that sounds like a good set up.

Thanks.

Go back and find out what Jefe had...and don't get that! It flexed great, but body roll was so bad that he would rub tires on the top of the fenders turning at some speed in the washes:eek:

No kidding. I was behind him on the pavement in Big Bear and he was goofing off by swerving back and forth. Scared me just watching that crazy dude. I miss having him around, he was fun to watch.

Holy S&*t! I just spent 3107.93 on shocks, wheels, radius arms, T-bird brakes, track bar, misc. brackets and mounts....
My target cost is still looking pretty good. I still need to cut down the axle and get a new long shaft, and all the internals.

Back