Check out my latest fiberglass adventure | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check out my latest fiberglass adventure

Like it or Don't like it that is the question.

• Sweet, I like it!!

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • It sucks.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • "Looks good, but not my style"

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters
You got my vote for the most creative idea for 2003.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I give it:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Cant wait till its painted or carpeted...

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I hooked up the sub, and it sounds pretty good for being only one 12 and getting half the power.

The problem I'm facing now is the sub is SVC and 8 ohms. So its not getting the same power it was when I had both subs wired in parallel to get a 4 ohm load on the amp.

Suggestions???

Anybody ever use a resistor to simulate a speaker load?

You'd need a pretty good resister, but it should work.

Or....you can build another enclosure on the other side :)

i would seriously pay money for a set of those if youd ever be interested in making em. Do you have any pics of it carpeted or painted? do any wires show?

Not done yet

It's not done yet. We still have the cosmetic stuff left to do to it to make it blend in with the rest of the interior.

And to answer your question, the wires are no where to be seen. They are run through the bottom of the enclosure.

amn thats tight.....seriously would yall consider making me some, say around august? but i want one for both windows. would yall ever do that?

Depends

IT all would be depend on how much time we had and how it turns out at the end.... The only downfall I could see would be that we would need the truck to guarantee that it would fir perfectly and blend it in with the rest.

yea thats tru....but yall could probally match it up to any 99 XLT. I have all stock interior, so im pretty sure i can get it matched.

Congrats for all the work and creative solution. But...Can you say F**KING BIG BLIND SPOT? You could hide quite a lot there.

Blind Spot

Other than maybe backing I don't think I ever look out those side windows. I have my mirrors setup so that I can see a vehile in my rear view until he gets close enough, then in my side view, then in my perifial view, then he's in front of me. I see NO blind spots except for when I enter the highway I need to look out my drivers window.

Maybe when entering the higway from the left side would I look out that window

Props man, you have solved the problem of losing cargo area. I applaud you for trying it.

that looks pretty sweet bro, cant wait to see it finished. do the other side too ;) :p

Sweet fiberglass enclosure.

That said, the resistor thing won't work. The resistor drops the ohm load, just about doubling the amplifier's output, but then the resistor is taking half the power, anyway, so the sub gets the same juice.

Another thought...the resistor would make about half as much heat as a hairdryer. How would you dissipate that?

Yeah I did a little more reasearch on the resistor its a bad idea. So I'm just going to look into getting a new 4 ohm sub or I swap with my wife and take her Infinity Kappa perfect 12.1 subs and give her my MTX.

DroppedKamelion - Out of curoisty, If I could build you a set of these enclosures. What subs would you be using?

ok.. i'm not an audio guy or streeter. but i admit.. that is pretty dang neat. if you had it cleaned up and the fiberglass smooth and painted... it would be really cool. put one on the other side and youve got something i've never seen in a pic before. its very different and creative. that's part of the coolness. great job.

i dont know yet. maybe some kicker solo barics or some pioneers.....but now that i think about the blindspot part.....i dunno but how much would you cxharge out of curiosity

Well assuming that this turns out as good as I hope. Building another one or two wouldn't be cheap. I've spent roughly $100 on materials for this one enclosure alone. You would still need to account for labor and shipping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a thought. Instead of useing the side windows use the area where the spare tier goes with a ported band pass box and the right sealent it works like a champ. the down fall is you would have to relocate your spare onto your rear bumper. Just a thought . i have done it myself with two Punch 12" 's. You can then hide the amps under the rear windows. I will get some pics and post them in a week or two.

Back