Colorado Color Run 09/2018 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Color Run 09/2018

What dates in Sept Do you all want? Let us know what weeks you would like for the gathering.

• 09/08 - 09/15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 09/22 - 09/29

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah I have been looking at them also. I like the fact of having a shower available.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll keep contemplating all options. Havibg a shower close is nice, but the "primitive" campsites werent all that much cheaper than the RV sites LoL

The primitive sites are rather large. I think this one is #38

campsite-jpg.jpg

Remember guys... Trip of a lifetime!! Here is my O2...

This is not the cheapest vacation you will have, not by a long shot. We are trying to save $$ by camping, but this also allows us to experience the outdoors in a group as well, and part of it. This is one of the reasons we start planning so far out, so we can save, wrench, and do what it takes to get here, and enjoy ourselves. If it was easy, and cheap, we would be there once a month. Cutting corners and not saving properly is just taking the experience away from yourself.

The most expensive KOA in the country, is the one in Ouray. It is also one of the nicest in the country. Primitive or RV sites, it doesn't matter as this IS the cheapest option in the area. This is a tourist town. This is still tourist season. ;)

I personally wouldn't attempt to remote camp anywhere in this area unless I was in a large group, armed to the teeth. Vast amounts of People & Hungry Black bears are main reasons. Back in 09, 8 bears had to be shot while we was there, due to a lady feeding them. One day, she ran out of food, so they ate her. Then they started venturing further than her home, looking for more food. Rangers stepped in, and trapped them, shot them, and hung around for a long time, as nobody knew how long or how many bears she had fed. This was in town, just imagine what it's like up in the wooded Mtn sides around there.

KOA is a perfect choice for a group such as ours, IMO. Great location, close to town, nice grounds, large sites, supplies sold in the store, even has a nice Breakfast diner. You can rent a small cabin if you dislike tents or don't have a camper.

Beautiful photos. I will probably have to watch via internet on this one. Maybe something could be drummed in and around the Arkansa, Missouri, Tennessee up for us Southern Folk in the future :)

I did all the math last night and had pretty much decided to stay at KOA and leave the camper behind, using the big tent that Greg put on permanent loan to me. The camper reduces my fuel mileage from 15 to 10, and (worse case scenario) would be one more thing I'd have to pay to have towed back if something went wrong with the Explorer. I'm told the tent actually has two rooms so if there is an individual that wants to go and needs a place to stay, let me know.

Well, I got the funds problem taken care of. Applied for and got a full time job working at a day service center for the Developmentally Disabled. (Probably overqualified but hey... its a job). Now.. Ironically... though I'll have the funds, I'm not sure I'll be able to get the time off! LoL We shall see.

That's awesome. I'm still working on getting a transfer case for my 5.0. But still planning to go.

Asked about time off so soon after taking a new job. Was told it wouldn't be a problem, just give them my schedule well in advance. Its obviously not paid time off but wasn't expecting that anyway. So its looking good!

still watching this thread with hopes-

The entire San Juan Forest is closed right now due to a huge fire in the area. We all need to be wishing-praying-suggesting rain!!!1

Um Last night Colorado Springs got hit with a HUGE hail Thunder storm. Was pretty bad. I know its not in the area where we are wanting to go BUT wow it was pretty bad. Some of my buddies had windshield damage and car damage and Home damage. So Yeah we are having fun here in Colorado now. Was told it was the worst one Colorado has seen in a VERY long time.

Yeah well who ever decided to pray for rain did it to good LOL.

I have VERY minimal damage. My Expensive car is in the garage my toy and toy hauler are out side and I was told a couple dents.

Monsoon season is coming. Things will be opened back up, but let's hope the fires stop well before hand, and we still have the landscape left.

Sorry to hear about the storm damages. Get your no soliciting signs up, cuz the door knocking chasers will be relentless there for months.

@gmanpaint You are funny sir. We have a No Soliciting sign at my work and they still come in.

Yeah when I went to work this morning saw all kinds of branches and leaves on the ground. Got up north and the roads and every thing was dry as if nothing happened. The weather here in Colorado can be silly at times LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear that Gregg. I know you were looking forward to it :(

Back