95ExplorerLtd

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Hymera, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited 4x4
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could use some of that T-304 stainless flexible exhaust tubing, get a single inlet/dual outlet Flowmaster 50, run a straight piece of stainless or regular pipe next to the stock pipe as long as possible, then get a length of this flexible stuff to Y it offin front of the axle (with hangers to support it of course) and then a length of regular pipe with a tip at the end to come out the back. Do you think this would work? I think it would be alot cheaper than getting normal pipes bent, which I dont want to have to do. Plus I think it would be fun to install. Any opinions?

Thanks alot,

Grant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never seen the flex tubing before... but shop around.. i bet you can find someone that will do it on the cheap. Is there even room to run 2 pipes? Hmm...I though it was pretty hard to get 2 in there at least.

You might want to check your state inspection laws on flexible exhaust tubing. It's illegal in some states, and perfectly fine in others.

Any pics of this tubing? Got a link to a site that has it? Kinda curious to see what it is.

i know that you can get some flex exhaust tubing at autozone in the dfw area. i'v never used it though, but if it did work that would be nicer that spending $200+for exhaust.

i've used flex pipe a number of times over the years:

a couple of trick/tips i've learned are:

1) run it so the twist counter clock wise to the rear - i don't know why but it seems to have a tendancy to unravel when it's clock wise

2)since you really can't weld on it - use muffler tape on the solid pieces to create a buffer/gasket that will seal off when you clamp down on it - other wise it will leak badly

Is this stuff like dryer tubing?

I saw it in a JC Whitney catalog. They arent the ones who make it, they just carry it, I believe. It would only be about a 5 foot length, since I'd run a regular pipe as far back as possible (but far enough back that the flex pipe doesnt have to angle off too much), then the flex pipe to get to the driver side and over the axle, and then a stainless straight pipe with maybe some minor bending back from there. I wouldnt want to be running 12 feet or so of this flexible pipe all the way back :p Just enough to sort of 'cheat' my way to the other side.

:cool:

Another thing to consider: Should I run a different size pipe on the left side so that the exhaust comes out a the same rate on each side? My dad pointed out that if I run the same size pipes, the left side is going to have the exhaust exiting at a slower rate or something, since it has more bends and is longer. Should I run a larger pipe to make up for the difference? Thanks!

Dont worry about the pipes running a longer distance and not having even flow. Dont know why but I cant tell any difference on mine even in the winter when you can see the exhaust flow. One of the wonders of nature.

Isaac

the flex pipe is junk,, it's fine for a qwick fix in places that allow it for inspectoin,, but like the other guy said it IS Illiegal in some states, and just because its for sale doesnt make it legal,, they sell it all over here, but it's still illeigal.

I'll second Isaacs comment. It can't maintain shape so it can't hold itself up off the ground - normally all your exhaust hangers works as a team and depend on the rigidity of pipe between them to hold everything together.

Service life of exhaust flexpipe is almost none existant - I've never seen this stuff last more than a couple of months before it becomes a headache.

Best advice is to bite the bullet - spend the bux on a decent system at a reputable muffler shop taht can bend tubing. Insist on the "good" pipe - many of these places try to save money/maximize profits using henskin pipe leaving you with a system that will suffer an early death.

I third that

I own an exhaust shop and the s*@$ sucks. I've seen some creative uses but trucks are not one of them. If you insist on using it. If you runing a straight length swist it counter clock wise. if you have to make a sharp bend twist it clock wise. If you can have it tack welded before and after every bend and it will hold its form a lot longer.

Ok

Would I be better off then to buy my own pipes and muffler, and just take it to the shop and have the pipes bent, or to have them use their own pipes? Would there be much of a price difference, or does it vary greatly from shop to shop? I have a couple more questions also:

1) Should I replace the stock pipe also and get a different size? I want to run stainless pipes from teh axle back, so if people crawl under and look at it, thats mostly what will be easily visible.

2)If I replace all the pipes, would I be better off with 2" or 2.25" pipes? I looked at a tip I have today and the inlet on it is 2.25, and it looks huge. I dont want to lose too much backpressure and lose power.

I figure I can save money on the installation by doing it myself, with help from my dad. He's installed exhaust systems before, so he'd be good help for a first-timer like me.

Thanks alot everyone for your help!

Grant

Hey guys, how solid is this tubing? Do they make it in 3". I was thinking that this might work for a custom intake deal? hmmm

Grant, you can get a ready to bolt on flowmaster aluminumized system from Dead Link Removed delivered to your door for about $190. Here is the link: Flowmaster Exhaust . I had one of these on my '92, and it worked very well. It only takes a set of socket wrenches and a hacksaw to install (hacksaw to ease removal of old rusted stuff :D).

Just my .02

Back