MAF to Throttle Body Intake Tube First Generation Explorer - Build Your Own | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAF to Throttle Body Intake Tube First Generation Explorer - Build Your Own

pughman

Reaction score
City, State
in a galaxy far far away "MISSOURI"
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
using 3" abs drain pipe and some Elbow's, 45º and 90º, and some flexible Coupler's, you can make a maf-to-throttle body intake tube.

you will need a:
3" to 2" flexible Coupler
vbgarage.php

3" straight flexible Coupler
vbgarage.php

3" 45º Elbow
vbgarage.php

3" 90º Elbow
vbgarage.php

a 12 to 20 inch piece of straight 3" pipe
vbgarage.php

the 3" to 2" flexible Coupler goes on the throttle body , 2" side to the throttle body . then the 3" 90º Elbow goes on the 3" side of the 3" to 2" flexible Coupler , then there is a length of the straight 3" pipe cut to the size you need , i used the old tube as a guide , but yours might be a tad longer or shorter than mine. then goes on the 3" 45º Elbow, then a smaller length of the straight 3" pipe cut to your length. last is the 3" straight flexible Coupler that goes on the maf , it looks like this after it is all done..
vbgarage.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the how to thread. I set you up with 3 months of Elite membership.

nice build!!

hey what is that canister in your AC line?

410Fortune said:
nice build!!

hey what is that canister in your AC line?

That's the filter for his breather hose.

The little pink filter is so cute. What are you doing to your truck, Pughman???

Rhett said:
That's the filter for his breather hose.

The little pink filter is so cute. What are you doing to your truck, Pughman???
No i beleive he is asking about the black canister that is next to the breather hose in the AC line.

Christobal65 said:
No i beleive he is asking about the black canister that is next to the breather hose in the AC line.

D!@#. I didn't notice that. What is that black canister anyway?

Are you the one that has a 3" body lift or is that on a stock explorer?

whats the benefits of converting it to pvc tubes?

bumpin it up

Do you have a body lift? Curious cause it seems like clearance is tight under there.

Awsome, works well in my truck....problem was I had to remove the black foam stuff from the underside of my hood to get it to shut properly.

3" flexible straight coupling fits perfect on a mustang 5.0 MAF housing

so you got the 3" pipe to fit and you don't have a bodylift? Tell me more about your maf too...

Any noticable difference in power with this over the stock pipe?

snocross1985 said:
so you got the 3" pipe to fit and you don't have a bodylift? Tell me more about your maf too...
no lift...here's the MAF housing

74-9508.jpg

it was very tight, at first the whole assembly was sitting on my fan shroud. In an effort to get it off the shroud I had to cut the side of the 90 deg elbow that enters the 3" to 2" coupling about a 1/4", bring the whole thing closer to the TB.

Nothing noticeable yet....but then again I just did yesterday afternoon

edit: the maf I found is for a '94 mustang

btw thanks for the write-up pughman

What housing are you using (year, model, and engine specific)? Are you using the explorer electronics in the maf housing?

I pulled the housing (seen above) out of a '93 or '94 Grand Marquis - the yard had "93 5.0L" written on the side.... but after some researching I found that the '94 Marquis 4.6L used the same housing as the 94 Mustang 5.0L click here

The sensor I found was missing from the housing so I added the stock one and it fit perfectly, since yesterday it's been running fine...I can't say there's any noticeable change in performance (yet) I'll know more while doing the drive to work this week, I'd also like to see if there's any change in consumption (but I doubt it)

OK, tried doing the intake tube thing today with 3" piping. Didn't even come close to fitting. My hood was resting on top of the pipe and was not even close to latching and this is without the insulation pad on the hood. Gonna have to scrap this idea for me, back to the drawing board.

snocross1985 said:
OK, tried doing the intake tube thing today with 3" piping. Didn't even come close to fitting. My hood was resting on top of the pipe and was not even close to latching and this is without the insulation pad on the hood. Gonna have to scrap this idea for me, back to the drawing board.

You should have talked to me, I posted pretty recently about doing this, and I too WAS NOWHERE close to fitting a 3" tube under my hood.

I guess there are different tolerances in the space there, but it's nowhere close to fitting in mine.

couln't you just use 2" pipe and then use the 2" to 3" coupler at the MAF? :confused: Then maybe the hood would close? no? :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is that a hose clamped suction filter on your A/C?
it dosen't leak? :eek:

Back