MAF to Throttle Body Intake Tube First Generation Explorer - Build Your Own | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAF to Throttle Body Intake Tube First Generation Explorer - Build Your Own

NOt to be out of line, but man I wrote an article about this way back in may or june and submitted it. Never heard back? I said how easy it was with intercooler pipes, cheap fittings, and a mustang 5.0 MAF

P5100152.jpg

P5100153.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the PVC pipe mod a while back. I did remove the insulation. Mine just barely fit. I have to slam the hood down pretty good to get it to close. Another issue I had was that the pipe would push down on the fan shroud, causing it to interfere with the fan. I just took some material off the elbow peice. I will probably be putting in an electric fan soon so that should help the hood closing situation.

Didn't have any clearance issues with that unit. The flex couplers allowed enough play to fit without interfering with the fan or hood. Jo

if you can weld you can build one from 3" exhaust pipe. 3" exhaust pipe is alot closer to 3" OD than the 3" pvc with and OD of ~3.5". You can also "flatten" out the tube alittle in the tight spots if you need to, making it more of an oval.

I made one long tube from the filter to the TB. Integrated the MAF sensor into my housing/tube. Its been working for 30k with no check engine light as of yet. As to if it helps performance???? come on its a 1991 explorer with 230k on the ticker.

So as you would expect from any super low cost internet mod, this sweet little hunk of metal gave me about a 75HP gain at 9500 RPM. Everything else is stock though, so the engine will blow before this thing can make its full power:D

So as you would expect from any super low cost internet mod, this sweet little hunk of metal gave me about a 75HP gain at 9500 RPM. Everything else is stock though, so the engine will blow before this thing can make its full power:D

75 hp gain from an intake?

why a mustang 5.0 MAF ?
what are the benifets of doing that

why a mustang 5.0 MAF ?
what are the benifets of doing that

When you are building a intake it can only flow as good as your smallest passage. on an explorer the MAF is very restrictive. So if you use the MAF off of a mustang it makes it so the MAF is no longer the smallest passage.

In an explorer the most restrictive parts are the stock air box, MAF, air filter, and the throttle body. The air tube is not restrictive unless you have a cone filter, mustang MAF, and 66mm throttle body. So if you have a stock MAF, Stock air box/filter, and stock throttle body, then you wont feel a gain with the PVC intake. BUT if you have spaire time to build it AND you plan of getting Larger MAF and throttle body then go for it. I would have one but i have one of the explorers that doesent have the clearence. once i get my bodylift i will slap the intake i made on there and beat every ricer and GM i can!!!!

thanks bikeboarder i got a 92 thunderbird with a HO5.0 just siting hmmm will it give me better mpg? will the throttle body fit the 4.0 from the 5.0? or is that a after market part?

the T-bird actually might be the same as the 4.0. but maybe not the 5.0 because i bought a MAF off of f T-bird with a 5.0 and it was the same size. as the 4.0. if it is not the same though you will notice a slight(haha) size differance in the inside. The larger MAF should give you better mileage but if you cant keep your foot off the floor because of the power gain then it will suffer. As for the throttle body i am pritty shure that it doesent match up. although that would be cool if it fit.

Is the 5.0 going to find its way into your explorer one of these days?

probly not unless i blow up the 4.0 i think i might put it in a international1310 1 ton 4/4 flat bed it has the old 345 in it and gets realy bad gas milage and is a nightmare to start

I found an 87-93 Mustang 70mm TB... would that fit, or do I have to buy an Explorer specific one?

no you just have to take the black electronics off the big one and the electronics off the explorer one and put the explorer electronics on the big one.

Awesome... in that case I'll try to pick it up tommorow... $130 though... oh well...

Awesome... in that case I'll try to pick it up tommorow... $130 though... oh well...

If i were you i would not pay that much for it. i got mine off of a V8 explorer @ a junkyard for $5. i would look around for at least an hour at a junk yard. when i found mine i was looking for a mustang. i bet you could get one off of a 99(ish) 4.6 F-150 for less then $50 at a junk yard, call around and ask. try to save the rest of money for gas or a BBK throttle body:thumbsup: .

If i were you i would not pay that much for it. i got mine off of a V8 explorer @ a junkyard for $5. i would look around for at least an hour at a junk yard. when i found mine i was looking for a mustang. i bet you could get one off of a 99(ish) 4.6 F-150 for less then $50 at a junk yard, call around and ask. try to save the rest of money for gas or a BBK throttle body:thumbsup: .

Sorry, I was referring to the TB... I still need to pick up a MAF though...

I'd like to add a little note here... I know a lot of people are having problems with the thickness of the drain piping, and it's been recommended to use intercooler or exhaust piping, but I was looking up parts I needed for this swap and decided to take a look at gutter downspouts... I saw a 10 foot or so length at Home Depot for about $10 CAD... it's made from vinyl, so it's still light and cheap, but the wall thickness is only about 1/8" or so, as opposed to the 1/4" or so you would see with drain pipe... Not sure if it'll help much, but you should be able to pick up elbows for the downspouts as well, which would be a hell of a lot thinner than the elbows for the PVC piping, and cheaper than intercooler/exhaust piping...

I have a 97 mustang 4.6 TB and MAS that I took off my mustang when I did the turbo intall. The MAS is calibrated for 19# injectors so Im pretty shure it will work, also it looks just like the one in the pic already posted. How big is the factory explorer T-body? I know this mustang one is 65mm but if it works then so would an aftermarket mustang T-body which they make all the way up to 75mm. I just wonder if it would be a better idea to port the upper intake to match a bigger T-body.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You cant use the mustang TB with the OHV intake. that is unless somehow you can put a SOHC upper intake on the OHV, which i have no idiea if it would work. But the late model V6 mustangs use the 4.0 SOHC, so if somehow you can get the SOHC intake on the OHV then you could use a larger aftermarcut SOHC TB.

BUT. i dont see why somebody coulden't make a throttle body spacer/adapter to make another engine's throttle body work. I dont know how this could be done, but i guess if you took the intake and TB into a machine shop then it could be done with a chunk of aluminum and a c&c mill.

Maybe i am on to something... i dont know, Should i be telling any of you this? I dont know. heck i dont even know if any benifit can come from a TB bigger then the BBK 66mm.

Back