MAF to Throttle Body Intake Tube First Generation Explorer - Build Your Own | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAF to Throttle Body Intake Tube First Generation Explorer - Build Your Own

i had to leave the one that has suction connected to even make mine idle right. i was able to totally lose the one with suction, along with the lower box it was connected too. here's what mine looks like. (i reused the OEM plug parts that were in the air box, and just relocated them into the plastic intake part.)

exploder008.jpg

exploder009.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine looks basically the same. Question though, my MAF sensor/the place where it hooks up is at an angle. Yours is basically level, exactly how it was stock. Mine is tilted to the side some, so the MAF sensor itself is pointing up and towards the driver's side. Is that bad? Could that be my problem? Should I head out there and rotate everything so its right-side up?

Alright, I've done everything I can think of. The CEL is still comming on and off at seemingly random spots (typically around 35, 45, and 55 on my spedo) and the truck is idling a little funky (it idled funky before, a friend had told me it was my fuel filter, still hadnt checked it out). I've got the two little hoses hooked up to the metal sensor from the inside of the old airbox and mounted inside the new air intake. Everything is hooked up correctly. What the heck could be going wrong? (Yes, I've reset the computer). I guess it could be a vacuum leak, but I'm not hearing any high-pitched whistling noises, and like I said, it was idling funny before so I cant see why it would be a problem with the new intake. Someone tell me how to fix this dang thing lol

just go to auto zone and have them pull the codes.

It's free.

Might be something completley unrelated.

It is something totally unrelated lol! I went back to stock, to test things, and it still came on. I decided what the hell, was time to do a total tune up. Changed spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter. Thing runs beautiful, and NO CEL! even with the new intake on. Viola!

*stamps with FIXED stamp*

It is something totally unrelated lol! I went back to stock, to test things, and it still came on. I decided what the hell, was time to do a total tune up. Changed spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter. Thing runs beautiful, and NO CEL! even with the new intake on. Viola!

*stamps with FIXED stamp*

:thumbsup: now it's time for the supercharger.

So a less restrictive MAF Sensor from a 5.0L Mustang will work on the 4.0 OHV with stock intake tubing? You just need to swap the explorer MAF electronics with the Mustang MAF electronics?

If so that's nice work finding that out. The stock 4.0 OHV MAF has the diameter of a donut hole! :rolleyes: and is substantially narrower than the stock TB.

Yes, just be sure to use the Ex's MAFS.
I actually notice better mileage.

A couple of other things I forgot to ask:

What's the Ford V8 year-range and models -- saw Mustang 5.0 and Explorer V8 -- you can pull a MAF housing from?

I also own an older Jeep Wrangler YJ. And one of the big deals is what axle to use if you swap out its stock Dana 35. You can luckily use the Ford 8.8 rear-end from a 91-00 Explorer (have to double check the years on that) in the back end of a Wrangler YJ/TJ.

Only trick is that the '95 and up 8.8 axles also have disk brakes and 31 spline -- vs 28 spline ('91-'94) -- shafts. So naturally people looking for an 8.8 for their Jeep YJ/TJ typically want to buy one out of a '95 or later Explorer because it brings a little more to the table in terms of strength and braking.

Back to the Ford 5.0 MAF swap for an OHV Ford Explorer:

Like the 8.8 axle, are some 5.0MAF years or models potentially preferable to others? For example, do later/earlier 5.0 MAF years flow better or otherwise have less metal obstructing air-flow within the housing. Does the 5.0 MAF "mm" size vary at all, again making a year(s) better than others?

:scratch: Thanks for the help!

(Any way you cut it though, this beats the heck out of paying $200-$300+ for some new aftermarket MAF job for your OHV Engine)

Only trick is that the '95 and up 8.8 axles also have disk brakes and 31 spline -- vs 28 spline ('91-'94) -- shafts. So naturally people looking for an 8.8 for their Jeep YJ/TJ typically want to buy one out of a '95 or later Explorer because it brings a little more to the table in terms of strength and braking.
Don't know about the MAF question, but the 91-94 Explorers had 31 spline, but just the drum brakes. 95+ had 31 with discs. Rangers/Mustangs are the ones with the 28 spline 8.8s

I saw a few comments and questions about the "metal disk thing" in the factory airbox, that has two vacuum lines connected to it.

The "metal disk thing" is a temperature controlled bi-metal sensor. Here's the function.. when the incoming air is cold, it causes the diverter in the factory inlet snout to draw air from the metal hose contraption connected to the passenger exhaust manifold.

One hose connected to the Bi-Metal Sensor (the dreaded metal disk thing) goes to the intake manifold, the other goes down to the Vacuum Motor (goofy air diverter thingie).

Since we're all trashing our factory air box, and the diverter, that little sub-system isn't anything to us anymore.

Plug the vacuum hose coming from the motor, or just eliminate the hose all together and put a cap on the source connector.

Folks that system is just like our old 70's and 80's carberated models with the round air cleaners, and the flexy-metal-tube that went to one of the exhaust manifolds. We all plugged off the vacuum line that used to go to the air filter assembly, when we added our fancy 14" round air filter base and lid...

Don't know about the MAF question, but the 91-94 Explorers had 31 spline, but just the drum brakes. 95+ had 31 with discs. Rangers/Mustangs are the ones with the 28 spline 8.8s

Yeah, you're right. Got my facts wrong there. Nice to know the 91-94s Explorer rear-ends are just as strong as the 95-01s save for the drum brakes. :thumbsup:

What year stang are you all getting your maf from OR IS IT FROM A 5.0 EX

What he said.... After furthur reading and looking. The 5.0 Mafs come in 70mm 80mm or 88mm which ones has anyone tried and using ?

Ok thats what Im going to build. Does that fit without a body lift ?

jd4242,

is that the ifab intake in the pictures? the ones i've normally seen are one piece tubes, but it looks like yours is two pieces? maybe i've been mistaking the mac intakes for ifab, but can you elaborate?

please?

this is how i did it

I tore my air box out and removed the air thing that goes to the passanger side exhaust manifold.
I then tore into my eclipse gsx (not running at all lol) and took one of the intercooler pipes off of it and some couplings and then ordered a first gen probe maf adaptor plate and fit it all together in the picture provided.
i put a small cone filter on the oil tube and only one of the two small hoses are needed to stay as the other one goes to the little part that goes to your manifold which you can remove(i did) and then just like someone said earlier stuck the small hose into my setup.
HPIM0801.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

josh_yea its a ifab and it is 2 pieces I think the 2 gen ones have 1 piece because the battery is in a different place
dllb_mine fit with out a body lift but I took the crap of the bottem side of the hood also,also make sure you use the electronic off your ex in the maf and clean the filaments wile you got it out

Back