Gear Shift Broke Off in Hands!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear Shift Broke Off in Hands!!!

mine broke off too!! im so upset, ford said they never heard of this and i have to pay for this, im broke right now,, and my gear shift broke right off in my hands!!!with kids in car,, how much will this cost me??? and should i only take to a ford or can another less expensive auto company help me,, also has any one reported this to BBB?? shouldnt this be a recall??

They are lying to you when they say they have never heard of this. It's a VERY common problem.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/E...ion/gear_shift_broke_off_while_shifting.shtml

Ford does not sell the little metal piece that breaks - the only way to fix it is to replace the entire steering column, which they will happily charge you $1200 for.

They won't issue a recall because they're much happier charging you $1200 for a new steering column.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are lying to you when they say they have never heard of this. It's a VERY common problem.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/E...ion/gear_shift_broke_off_while_shifting.shtml

Ford does not sell the little metal piece that breaks - the only way to fix it is to replace the entire steering column, which they will happily charge you $1200 for.

They won't issue a recall because they're much happier charging you $1200 for a new steering column.

I just had car towed to ford today,, i talked to a service manager and he said if i dont need a steering column, which he said he doubts i will need ?? they can just replace the gearshift that would run me 479.00:( it was just towed up there and they are suppose to call me back to let me know,, i told him if it is more,, then i would have to get car towed to one of those little shops to fix for cheaper,, so im hoping they will just fix it,, being ford is in a financial crises right now..

I plan on keeping my 3gen till 200k miles+. I am mechanically inclined enough to still find a way to be able to still shift my truck if it broke off in my hands if I was in a bad situation. However when mine does brake I will not buy a new steering column but rather fix the problem so it will not happen again.

I'm glad to see other people have been able to fix it without having to buy another column.

I saw one guy who machine himself a new part to fix the problem, but apart from him, I haven't seen anyone anywhere who has fixed (or had Ford fix) it without replacing the entire steering column. This is the first I have heard of them offering to just replace the gearshift (which would make sense) - I'm curious to see if they can actually do it. New they are $1200, junkyards sell for $250-$500.

I had this same problem drove the truck by stickin my finger down the column and shiftin the gears cuz i was not payin 1200 bones to get it fixed so i ended up machining my own piece up.

what a joke !!!!

I saw one guy who machine himself a new part to fix the problem, but apart from him, I haven't seen anyone anywhere who has fixed (or had Ford fix) it without replacing the entire steering column. This is the first I have heard of them offering to just replace the gearshift (which would make sense) - I'm curious to see if they can actually do it. New they are $1200, junkyards sell for $250-$500.[/QUOT[/COLOR]

well you were right, ford quoted me 500 dollars to fix gear shift,, the next day i had to call them at 200 pm to ask if car was done, but they hadnt started,, then they called at 400 and said i would need a whole new steering colum would run 1100 dollars, i said no thanks,, and had car towed to auto body shop that is going to do it for 495.00. i called mechanics and they said only an auto body shop could do this.

well you were right, ford quoted me 500 dollars to fix gear shift,, the next day i had to call them at 200 pm to ask if car was done, but they hadnt started,, then they called at 400 and said i would need a whole new steering colum would run 1100 dollars, i said no thanks,, and had car towed to auto body shop that is going to do it for 495.00. i called mechanics and they said only an auto body shop could do this.

Knowing that the gearshift isn't available as a separate part (it's not even in the parts catalog), I wonder where they got your original $479 quote from? Of course, I can guess. :)

I wish I could say it won't cost much but it cost me $1400. I took mine to a Ford dealer to have fixed not sure it would be cheaper taking it else where. Unfortunately they have to replace entire steering colum. And someone on here told me the odds of Ford doing a recall are slim to none.

main problemn is there is no tool to take apart the piece

Also

Guess I should have added watch where you take it to get it fix. I had mine towed to Garnet Ford on Kirkwood Highway in Wilmington Delaware and not only did they take to long to finally fix it but because we complained about how long it was taking my vehicle which is on a locked parking lot as well as my vehicle suppossed to be kept locked someone stole a bunch of home made CD I had as well as a few other items. I complained to the owner and all I got was we'll look into it. The least the could have done was knock off a little from the bill for the stuff that was lifted, which I have a feeling was an employee probably. Nice way to take advantage of a woman Garnet Ford!

Guess I should have added watch where you take it to get it fix. I had mine towed to Garnet Ford on Kirkwood Highway in Wilmington Delaware and not only did they take to long to finally fix it but because we complained about how long it was taking my vehicle which is on a locked parking lot as well as my vehicle suppossed to be kept locked someone stole a bunch of home made CD I had as well as a few other items. I complained to the owner and all I got was we'll look into it. The least the could have done was knock off a little from the bill for the stuff that was lifted, which I have a feeling was an employee probably. Nice way to take advantage of a woman Garnet Ford!

no offence but if you went into say walmart and bought some stuff and came out to find stuff stolen from your car you wouldnt go back into walmart and want $$ for the items taken... thats what insurance is for...

as for the part mine broke aswell but under a different situation it was either broke by the dealer or the tow truck driver who was towing it for another issue no one owned up to it couldnt do much the knuckle that breaks is just cheap white metel same as the rear center glass hinges same metel both broke at the same time probly didnt help it was -45out

no offence but if you went into say walmart and bought some stuff and came out to find stuff stolen from your car you wouldnt go back into walmart and want $$ for the items taken... thats what insurance is for...

Not the same at all. If you give care and control of your vehicle to the dealership so they can repair it, they are responsible for anything that happens to it while it is in their care and control. Completely different from just parking in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

If it is broken into and things stolen while it is in their care and control, then the DEALER is responsible for fixing it and replacing what was stolen, and it is up to them to make a claim on THEIR insurance for the loss.

Not the same at all. If you give care and control of your vehicle to the dealership so they can repair it, they are responsible for anything that happens to it while it is in their care and control. Completely different from just parking in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

If it is broken into and things stolen while it is in their care and control, then the DEALER is responsible for fixing it and replacing what was stolen, and it is up to them to make a claim on THEIR insurance for the loss.

actually, i work at a dealership and we have a sign that slearly reads

"please remove any valuable items as we will not be responsible if they are lost of stolen"

actually, i work at a dealership and we have a sign that slearly reads

"please remove any valuable items as we will not be responsible if they are lost of stolen"

If there is nothing on the work order that the customer signs when they drop off their vehicle that says "not responsible for lost/stolen items" or something along those lines, then it doesn't matter what any sign says.

If there is nothing on the work order that the customer signs when they drop off their vehicle that says "not responsible for lost/stolen items" or something along those lines, then it doesn't matter what any sign says.

actually you are right, the sign is just there for extra awareness. i do believe we have it on the back of all the R.O or W.Os but i will even check tomorrow for you when i go in.

Dealer

That was kinda my point it's on there lot and it wasn't broke into because the doors apparently were left unlock. And they really weren't valuables just home made cd's not worth any thing other than sentimental value.

That was kinda my point it's on there lot and it wasn't broke into because the doors apparently were left unlock. And they really weren't valuables just home made cd's not worth any thing other than sentimental value.

but they were valueable to you were they not? :p: ;)

Gearshift broke

my husband was parking when from Reverse to Drive and it stopped in neutral, Ford ask for $2,000.00 for the column, today we bought one from an explorer 2004 for $348.00, tomorrow will be trying to loose the gearshift part and change it to our explorer. Hope this will work so we wont change the column.
Any advice.
What can we all do is there any way Ford pay for something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just noticed that the new super duties use the same gear shifter as in our explorers!

ED34854A04.jpg

hahahaha

Apparently Ford liked the gear shifter design in our explorer so much they transfered it over to their new flagship truck?

haha

I'm sure they worked out all the kinks with it though.

Back