Gear Shift Broke Off in Hands!!! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear Shift Broke Off in Hands!!!

They are lying to you when they say they have never heard of this. It's a VERY common problem.

Ford does not sell the little metal piece that breaks - the only way to fix it is to replace the entire steering column, which they will happily charge you $1200 for.

They won't issue a recall because they're much happier charging you $1200 for a new steering column.

If I understood this thread correctly, I had the same problem in July 2008 on my Explorer XLT 2002. The mechanic said that was the 4th case of the kind.

shifter.jpg

shifter1.jpg

I was stuck with this for a while but finally found a metal workshop and they made me this broken detail for $150 which is rather expensive for that simple piece, but it's better than to buy a new steering column for $1200.

You cannot repair that thing, it's made out of silicone-aluminium alloy which is frail and will very soon break again if welded. You have to make a new one. In my case they made it from a solid rust-proof steel, I think it will be intact long after entire car turns into dust.

One thing I want to say, though. You do not need an evacuator if you have this problem. As you can see on the first photo (I made red arrows there), this thing rotates and thus moves another thing. You cannot rotate it when it's broken even with a pliers - it's too tough, but actually you can move that another thing with your fingers. You have to grip it by the bottom part (which is not visible on the photo) where it connects to another part and push it forward or pull it backward depending on what gear you wish to set. It's a bit tough too, but quite movable by fingers. I was riding thus for a couple of weeks untill a new part was made. Regretably I found that out also AFTER I got my car towed to the mechanic.

You need to take off the cover, though. A screwdriver is enough for this.

I'm sorry for any mistakes I've made, English is not my native and mechanics is not my field of expertise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi GavGav
i have new repair kit available..
complete with new casted aluminium gear linkage, inner spring and rod..
also im looking for someone who can be interested in selling them in the US and Canada..
i can give a VERY nice price if someone is interested
just mail me at
robert66@tyfonmail.se
thanks
Robert

Hi GavGav
i have new repair kits available..
i have managed to cast the gear linkage in high quality aluminium and fabricated the inner spring and rod in Steel .
the kit is very cheap and very nice made..
Also im looking for someone who can be interested in selling those Kits in the USA and Canada..the price will be even lower then..!
just mail me in someone is interested
robert66@tyfonmail.se

thanks
Robert

Hi GavGav
i have managed to cast the gear linkage in high quality aluminium and fabricated the inner spring and rod in Steel .
Also im looking for someone who can be interested in selling those Kits in the USA and Canada..the price will be even lower then..!
just mail me in someone is interested
robert66@tyfonmail.se

thanks
Robert

Hey, Bob, good to see you're still out there. Wish I was in a position to market this, but it is out of my area/depth.

I've wondered if I should buy one and store it for the eventual failure.

I'm not nearly in USA or Canada and I already got this problem fixed. As I said, it happened 1.5 years ago.

You should try selling your kits on e-bay - that was one of the first places I looked for this part, but regretably there was not anything like this at the time.

i did not read all of this thread, but to the OP... i had the same thing happen. i couldnt repair it and ended up getting a used column out of a junkyard. it was a hassle as i shifted the same way i had a hundred thousand times and the damn thing was in my hand.... i was like whaaaaaaaaa

It must be a ford thing because I had the same thing happen to my 92 grand marquis. I hope it does not happen to my 05 xlt

im selling on Ebay.. but since the distance it takes 1 week to arrive to the USA
i would be happy if i had someone who could sell them directly from the US. the customers would them have them very faster..

forgot to ask Noshatch,, was the part that broked for you looking the same as the one fitted on the Explorer??
im trying to figure out if these part fits other cars and models "besides the Mercury mountaneer.."

im selling on Ebay.. but since the distance it takes 1 week to arrive to the USA
i would be happy if i had someone who could sell them directly from the US. the customers would them have them very faster..
I could help you out with that, and thanks for your quick reply to my email.

I really hope we can make a deal Partsman..
the parts are really aftersought and the market is huge..for a loong time

yea, im onboard with this problem too, does anyone know how to remove the little ball arm off of the splines on the cylinder? i can ge the part i just need to know how to remove it, untill then hand shifting all the way home, does anyone know how to bypass the key interlock?

MY 2002 Shifter Broke also

How do I go about getting one of the kits the group is ordering from Robert66
I could use one about now.

Although I haven't experienced the problem, I would encourage those who have to file a safety complaint with the NHTSA (US only) http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

It sounds like it would be a legitimate safety issue if the part breaks and leaves the car in gear. Enough complaints could prompt a recall or warranty extension by Ford.

Info for p71, I have had the gear shift problem and went through the replacement of said part. It is not (in my opinion) concidered a safty issue, ( leaving the truck in gear), it will leave you stuck in park. From what I have read from others, it only happens when you are trying to go from park to any other gear, like it did to me. Either we are not stepping on the brake hard enough to engage the switch or the shifter switch is not releasing the pin fast enough befor we shift from park. IMO we are doing all of the steps right, or we are resting our hand on the lever just enough to keep the pin from releasing, causing the pin to stick in place. It is a magnetic coil drawing the pin down to release the shifter. Ford still dropped the ball, when they decided to use a soft (POT) metal for this part. And thanks to SweedenBob, we have a replacement part that will work like it was designed to. thanks for listening to my opinion

My husband's 2002 mountaineer had the exact same problem! This just happened 3 days ago & we have had to rent a car until we can get it repaired. It's very frustrating because we were also told it will cost us $1,300 to replace the entire steering column assembly! When & where can I get this kit?? We are in desperate need but do not want to spend $1,300!! Aloha!!

Manually shift will work

My husband's 2002 mountaineer had the exact same problem! This just happened 3 days ago & we have had to rent a car until we can get it repaired. It's very frustrating because we were also told it will cost us $1,300 to replace the entire steering column assembly! When & where can I get this kit?? We are in desperate need but do not want to spend $1,300!! Aloha!!

I took the cover off the column and shift the vehicle by pulling and pushing the lever. The in direction is going to park and pulling it will get you to drive. The key will not come out but the car can be locked with the remote or by the keyless entry(bottom two numbers held in together). So far i have found a shop that will put a used column in for $650. The used columns are $100 to 150 so I am still looking for a better deal. I may do it myself.

I'm sorry but I'm not that mechanically inclined...LOL!! So he can manually shift it?? I'm assuming all gears are available that way? I mean basically he just needs park, reverse & drive. Does manually shifting consist of exposing all the internal workings on the steering wheel? Right now he just pulled the rubber cover off & has that area exposed. So we can just see the piece that's broken & the ignition area. This might be our solution until we can get the kit because renting a car is costing us a fortune!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you look at the pictures in the beginning of this forum you will see the broken piece. Just to the right of the broken piece going to the shift arm is a connection with a cable that can be moved forward to you and backward away from you. Next to the connection is a ball that moves in a slot when you shift. You don't have to take else apart. Try it but don't force anything it should move somewhat easy.

Back