inch wider = inch taller? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

inch wider = inch taller?

for every inch wider wheelbase u go can u raise it up an inch and have it be basically as stable as it was before widening and lifting? start out with an explorer on 31" tires with stock wheels and a 3" body lift. widening the wheelbase 12" to 14".... a good 6" wider each side in the rear and 7" wider each side up front. will that compensate for raising it another 8" with suspension and an additional 2" of height from 35" tires. so 10" more lift total. will that even it out...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A) how are you planning on doing an 8" suspension lift?
B) how are you getting wheels/tires that are widening your tire trac by 12"-14"?

Or is all of this about a SAS?

it will be sas... have about 3 weeks till' race season is over then we can FINALLY start. 15x10" rock crawlers with 2.5" bs compared to 4" bs with a 15x7" wheel which should make it 4.5" wider each side. correct? then a 12.5" wide tire which is another inch in width at each corner and the dana 30 front axle will add another inch width. or am i figurin this up wrong. 35's are already bought and wouldn't want any bigger on a dana 30 with 4.56 gears. i personally kinda like a lil' extra wheel well space. and with 8" suspension and 3" body lift i would rather drop the body lift than the suspension. but i see how it looks 1st. thanks for the responses :)

The pic below shows bfg AT KOs. I ran the #s for 35 which yield an additional .3" width per tire. Therefore a 35x12.5 bfg tire will increase track width 5.35" per side for a total of 10.7" or so. I would be leery of running too little BS as you can see in the pic below 3.75" puts shifts the load off center and 2.5 would be even more dramatic.
18205Tires2-med.jpg

soo... with the load being off center, b/c of the 2.5" bs (these wheels are already bought and mounted on the tires so its what i must use) but being off center whats the down side to this? thanks for the pic

The more off-center the load the more stress is placed on wheel bearings, Ball-joints, studs ect... Any hard driving will magnify these forces.. You may want to see if others have used this wheel tire combo and how it worked out for them.

i know "jacked93" has 15x10" w/ 2.5"bs but i believe he has a hp dana 44 also. i cant think of one person that does on a dana 30 but if yer out there let me know please. iknow i'll have to replace things up front as they wear out, i just hope i'm not breaking constantly. or replacing front end components every six months or even every year. avoiding having to do that on a regular basis was the reason for the sas. anyone has input, prior experience... anything let me know...

Not related to your question, but im just curious, what kinda suspension you gunna run?

Leafs, Coils, Coil overs?

early bronco front suspension... w/ wild horse 5.5" lift coils. most of what i have i bought from jefeseal when he was selling his sas stuff. only difference is i'm not keeping the 4.10 gears going to 4.56's instead.

hiridin said:
early bronco front suspension... w/ wild horse 5.5" lift coils. most of what i have i bought from jefeseal when he was selling his sas stuff. only difference is i'm not keeping the 4.10 gears going to 4.56's instead.

Soudns Good :thumbsup: Take lots of Pics :D

got another question, when i start the sas should i tie it into this thread instead of starting another or should i make another seperate thread specifically for the sas?

thanks to all... i'll be sure to keep ya'll updated with pics and progress reports. but like i said it'll be a good 3 weeks b4 we can start

hiridin said:
i know "jacked93" has 15x10" w/ 2.5"bs but i believe he has a hp dana 44 also. i cant think of one person that does on a dana 30 but if yer out there let me know please. iknow i'll have to replace things up front as they wear out, i just hope i'm not breaking constantly. or replacing front end components every six months or even every year. avoiding having to do that on a regular basis was the reason for the sas. anyone has input, prior experience... anything let me know...
A stock jeep has negative backspacing so that is quite a bit further out. Not sure how old your D30 axle is but, If you've got replacable bearings it shouldn't be bad (just repack often), but having to replace the sealed hub assemblies that the TJ D30 comes with could get expensive fast. However, many a jeep runs 35's on 15x10 tires. . .

Good Luck

Jefe said:
A stock jeep has negative backspacing so that is quite a bit further out. Not sure how old your D30 axle is but, If you've got replacable bearings it shouldn't be bad (just repack often), but having to replace the sealed hub assemblies that the TJ D30 comes with could get expensive fast. However, many a jeep runs 35's on 15x10 tires. . .

Good Luck

mines running 35s on 15x14's , but its on d44's......

Definately Keep us updated, i dont know what it is but i like Build up threads, one of the main reason i like pirate4x4, they have lots of build up threads...

its a hp dana 30 off of an xj off a 94' model i believe...

you will have the sealed wheel bearing setup that can get expensive quick to replace. Id run it sence you have it then if becomes a problem change rims. I had a friend run 10" rims with 2.5" back spacing on 35"s with basically the same axle in his Yj and am not sure how often he had to change the bearings. He did have a 4 banger with a welded front diff no power steering and did wheel the crap out of it.

which dana 30 jeep axle does not have sealed bearings? do all xj front axles have sealed bearings? i could be wrong about the exact year model it came off of. i was under the impression that as far as dana 30 jeep axles go that this was pretty much the strongest. was that wrong? that sux, i sure hope it holds up. and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to keep it in good working condition. :( and even with having to replace sealed bearings every once in a while, will that be cheaper than replacing worn front end components every so often on the ifs i have now? even if i was replacing stuff once a year which would come out to less $$$ ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it came out of a yj or xj or tj it will have the sealed unit wheel bearing hubs. the only ones that didnt were the the dana 30 in the cjs. they are 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and have a passanger side diff. I think your biggest thing that may cause wheel bearing problems is the backspacing on the rims. I would just do the swap and see what happens. Warn makes a kit that can change the setup and add hubs to the front end but it runs about 7-800 if i remember right. the only strengh differences I remember in the the tj xj and yj axles is tj is low pinion but IIRC comes with the stronger axle shafts and a one piece long shaft. xj is high pinion some come with a vacume disconnect on the passanger side some dont. and I bealive some came with the bigger u joint axles as well (297 vs 260) yj is high pinion had a vaume dissconect in teh passanger axle shaft and some came with the stronger u joints.

Back