Mounting Radar detector above rear view mirror (pics) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounting Radar detector above rear view mirror (pics)

well i dont drive an suv =) least not when im speeding and i personaly dont own a radar detector it just comes along for the ride in the car ( its not MY car) MY car doesnt bo about 75 lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could you put it below the dome lights above the back seats? Would it not work as affectively or what?

Originally posted by section525
Could you put it below the dome lights above the back seats? Would it not work as affectively or what?

It needs line of site. They're made to be set on the dash or in the center of the windshield above the dash. So yes, any large body of metal will throw off (block) the signal and therefore reduce its effectiveness

Well, don't they work out the back, from the dash? So moving it back would make the front less effective and the rear more effective? Maybe?

hmmm I could mount it there, however I think it would look more 'awkward' being there, then above the rear view mirror (above the mirrors, it will just look like a black blob up there). Plus, I would have to buy a remote visual adapter so I could see it in the driver's seat, and I think most radar would be coming from the front then the rear - so that would be a place I wouldn't wanna reduce its effectiveness...

Question: Do you guys think the strip of blue tint on the top of the windshield interfere with the radar??

Also, remember this.
They are RADAR detectors, not COP detectors.

Be careful folks.
There is more at risk than tickets.

ok... CHANGE OF PLANS!!! So earlier tonight, i'm starting my DD shift for some girl's party as repayment for her buying me at a bachelor's auction, the proceeds of which benefitted sick babbies. I go to adjust my rear view mirror and *snap*... ends up in my hands. Glue stayed attached to the windshield... the mirror didn't. I attribute it to being 28 degrees outside and constant rattling from subs. But anyways - Now that this hunk of junk is off, I think I will use this opporotunity to better incorporate my radar detector mount. (keep in mind, this is one of the auto-dimming rear-view mirrors)

Prior to it snapping off, I had made a mock-up cardboard box, guesstimating what dimensions a CB carcass would be. Needless to say, it doesn't fit well. The temperature LCD screen hangs too low, putting the detector at an awkward angle.

I've decided that I want to try and make a custom molding that will house the detector & temp LCD display, and still have the rear-view mirror be mounted as high up on the glass as possible. How difficult would this be? I've heard that fiberglass can be hard to work with; are there any other alternatives? I just need to be able to mold on something new while still looking good.

Thanks,
Patrick

Edit: I'm still going to have the CB radio faceplate to mask it, but I dont know if I'll use/need the whole rest of the body to hold the detector.

what kinda mounts did u use to put that second set of 6" lights by the license plate?

eh... dont ask about the mounts... they were something fashioned at the last minute because I wanted to have my lights on before the huge ass snow storm we got last year in NOVA. Then I just never got around to replacing them *cough*hokie*cough*. Do a search for like 'Light brackets' w/ 'hokie' as member name... make them like that.

I think I might put those 6" lights underneath my ex, facing backwards at unsuspecting drivers... =P
Then I could go offroading again, right Hokie?

If you get you a Passport 8500 to use, mount it at the top of the mirror, very hard to see it and then you can add the ZR3 to it. That is a blocker that has 2 detectors that mount on the front around the license plate and then 1 detector that is mounted on your license plate in the rear. I have 2 of these set-ups and they are extremly useful. The only thing that will show at all is the passport 8500 itself, but can be taken down in a heart beat because only 1 wire is attached to it and it is just like a telephone jack.
Hope this helps.
HotDogs

Ok, so I orderd the V1 today (beyond pennyless right now)... so look for construction pics in the next 2-3 weeks (hopefully sooner). I just need help on how to make the housing that will... house it.

I'm not going to use the whole CB shell, just the face plate (which will flip down, exposing the detector). I dont think fiberglass would be practical because I've never used it, and the housing is going to be relatively small.

I was thinking about using foam and sanding it, but I think that would be a hassle since I couldn't just sand it inside the ex. My ghetto way of doing this was going to be to tape up the area that I was putting it, and sticking a blob of clay there. Then I'd just mold that how I wanted it. Then I would find some sort of plastic to melt over it, thus creating the housing.

I need ideas on how to make it. It will house the detector, 4.5 in. L x 3.6 in. W x 1.0 in. H. and will need to match the contours of the ceiling console. Thanks for your input.

I figure if I put it in the oven and then slowly increase the temp, checking each time if it is bendable enough...

Besides... it'll be in your oven hokie =P

ok well F)(#*$ is all I have to say. Got a speeding ticket today (first one) 20 minutes after leaving school. 79 in 65. Cop was a real ##### too... but anyways - one thing that made me mad, was that I was in the right hand lane, and people were passing me on the left hand lane - yet I get the ticket.... go figure.

School is like 4 hrs from my home address (address on license) so I doubt the guy will show up to court, thinking I wont drive 4 hours for a stupid speeding ticket. Court date is 3 days after xmas break is over. So I'm thinking I'll goto that to see if he doesn't show up. I might also try and get my speedo calibrated, because the tires I have on now ARE a different size then the stock ones... we'll see how it goes

Lastly - it is the most ironic story, b/c my V1 was sitting here at home waiting for me when I got here.... ugh.

Anyways - I still need construction ideas - anyone, anyone??

I thought the board wasn't supposed to be used to condone illegal activities....:D

Haha...irony exists in everybody's lives!! But then again, you probably weren't the lucky one since you're the one who was caught instead of the others. Just drive slowly next time. :)

Let us know how the project is going.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back