Mustang 4.6 throttle body on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang 4.6 throttle body on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer

Hey Al, I noticed that the new TB came with a different throttle position sensor, but the connector is the same. Do you have any idea if the sensor is interchangeable? I found a BBK/Edelbrock TB, but it does not come with the TPS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

witchdoctor said:
Hey Al, I noticed that the new TB came with a different throttle position sensor, but the connector is the same. Do you have any idea if the sensor is interchangeable? I found a BBK/Edelbrock TB, but it does not come with the TPS.

The TPS appears to be identical.

Where did you find the BBK and how much?

Out of curiosity, I Googled around and the BBK model 1700 is pretty much the equivalent of the Ford Racing version. It doesn't include the TPS as the Ford does and is pretty much the same price. I found this article on the BBK offering and they complain about the hassle of removing the TPS from the OEM TB.

bbkTb1700.jpg

celly said:
Out of curiosity, I Googled around and the BBK model 1700 is pretty much the equivalent of the Ford Racing version. It doesn't include the TPS as the Ford does and is pretty much the same price. I found this article on the BBK offering and they complain about the hassle of removing the TPS from the OEM TB.

bbkTb1700.jpg

Hassle? The TPS is held in place with two phillips head screws and takes less than 30 seconds to remove.

Attachments

• tps.jpg
    tps.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,707

They talk about a LOT of loctite being use for the two screws and that most people can't remove them with even a screwdriver. I'd actually read that in many other discussion threads as well, including the newsgroups. I see the screws in your photo, but have you tried to remove the TBS yet? ;)

I wouldn't do it, especially since you're trying to sell it.

p.s. don't shoot the messenger. You read the article. They wouldn't remove it with their impact wrench and needed to cut the screws with a Dremel to get them out with another screwdriver.

I removed and replaced a faulty TPS sensor on another Explorer ( SOHC ) with no problems at all. The screws were indeed tight ( real tight ).

Wasn't shooting at the messenger :)

I can assure you I'd strip them out. That's the kind of mechanic I am. ;)

I just ernt out to my shop and tried to remove the screws from my old TB. I couldn't budge them with a handheld screwdriver. Its like the artivle said; damn.

The ones that I removed before were taken off with air tools.

I looked up in the Ford shop manual and they only charge 30 minutes to remove/replace the TPS. Bet that is with air tools.

Hitting a small screw like that with airtools would be insane IMO.
Use a large soldering iron to apply some heat to the head of the screw, it will soften the loctite and the screw will be easy to remove, thats the way you deal with locktighted fasteners, heat.

I got curious about removing Loctite sealed screws and remembered I have a customer who is an enfineer with Loctire. I called him and he said that heat is the best way to remove screws that won't budge.

I learn something new every day.

Virtually all TPS screws are small phillips heads, and can easily strip. They should not be phillips head screws. They should be a torx headed screw, or hex, or a normal bolt. Thanks for the heating tip. Regards,

aldive said:
Sure you could; just remove the 5.0 electronics and replace with the 4.0's.

so thats all i have to do to make it fit, swap the electronics? is that hard? also i have a 66mm bbk tb right now, and then i would be going to a 70mm 5.0 bbk tb, would the 4mm bigger really make a difference?

95offroadx said:
so thats all i have to do to make it fit, swap the electronics? is that hard? also i have a 66mm bbk tb right now, and then i would be going to a 70mm 5.0 bbk tb, would the 4mm bigger really make a difference?
Let us know if I am wrong but BBK told me yesterday that the 5.0 bolt pattern is not the same as the 4.6.
Also your OHV are you not?

95offroadx said:

I guess we'll know next Thursday, huh?

I'd be willing to bet there isn't a noticable difference in the power at WOT. Just my guess though.

Let us know!

-Joe

yea 4.0ohv

95offroadx said:
yea 4.0ohv
my question is:will a SOHC, 4.6 or 5.0 fit your OHV?
BBK do's not make a TB for the SOHC V6

Just for grins, lets do some math
The bolt pattern on the 4.6 and sohc v6 is approx 3 1/8 Sq, side to side, top to bottom.
can some of the 5.0 and OHV folks measure thiers?

Thats what I'm saying Al
the 4.6 and the SOHC 4.0 are the same, the 5.0 may not be, how about the OHV V6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back