Need Help - All 92 Explorers PLEASE Respond | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help - All 92 Explorers PLEASE Respond

Mine is 114,000 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

92 mileages

I've bought and sold various stock and modified vehicles in the past, and it seems that the main concern is the overall condition of the vehicle, not just the mileage. I've seen low some low number jobs that just weren't driven enough and needed a lot of missed preventative maint - owners thought it wasn't needed due to the lower miles. I'd say, if you do a quality job with good parts on your mods, any good car person will appreciate this and your vehicle will command a good resale. Of course, modifying it will slim down the possible buyers out of all who are looking for an EX. I've always made my vehicles look clean and presentable when selling,and to a person, have always had comments on this which they said swayed them to buy mine over another one. Your low miles will also help resale, regardless of being stock or modified. That is a given... e.g. engine, trans etc. Good luck!

Diablo5969 -

Just tell your dad that the resale of Explorers are really low now because of the Firestone/Explorer scare, no one wants to buy it.

It's better that he lets you lift it, modify it, put bigger tires on it so that it can be a safer vehicle. Plus convince him what a better way to develop a father/son bonding experience by working on the vehicle and wheel together!!!

Sugar coat the logic and I'm sure he'll go for it.

Re: Re: '92 info

Originally posted by diablo5969

The reason my dad won't let me do any major mods to my Ex is because he thinks that by doing mods it will lower the resale value of it.

Please don't take this the wrong way but how much does he expect to get out of a 94 anyway? I didn't want to mod mine out until I checked out it's resale value and realized that my perfectly good truck is worthless on the market. So I decided to mod it out. Something to consider......

Re: 92 mileages

Originally posted by fireftr
I've bought and sold various stock and modified vehicles in the past, and it seems that the main concern is the overall condition of the vehicle, not just the mileage.

I know that, but like when you're selling a car, one of the first questions people ask if what's the mileage. It's also the first question on the Kelly Blue Book website. The overall condition of the vehicle isn't really that great either, which is part of my logic in modding it. See, all the Ford factory parts and pieces are falling apart, so I'm thinking if I upgrade and mod it that will help the value since they'll be new parts. And another thing about, both the paint and the running boards have very heavy damage from some four wheeling incidents earlier in the year.

Originally posted by kvo
Just tell your dad that the resale of Explorers are really low now because of the Firestone/Explorer scare, no one wants to buy it.

That's not a half-bad idea. Thank you

Originally posted by Jason_25
Please don't take this the wrong way but how much does he expect to get out of a 94 anyway?

I know there's not much in it, and that's one of the things I'm trying to tell him. I just checked the Blue Book website and it said that the Ex is worth $5,935 now. And that's going to be even less in 2 years, with 20,000 more miles. And probably some more four wheeling damage :D

So it blue books at 6, so you could expect to get 4 out of it, and adding two more years then it cuts it down to 2,500 or 3,000 at best.

It's incredibly scary considering that most of these ex's cost 30 grand from the factory and in as little as 10 years they are worth almost nothing...even in good running condition. Thank Ford for absolutely flooding the market with them I suppose....but, we all bought 'em and we love them, so it's just something we live with. Luckily, when you're buying one used, you can usually find great deals. (like the guy on here buying a '98 4wd for 9K)

Randy

Originally posted by weebo
Luckily, when you're buying one used, you can usually find great deals. (like the guy on here buying a '98 4wd for 9K)

That doesn't help the seller at all.

And is someone really getting a '98 for $9,000? Man, that is a good deal.

Hello diablo, mine has 129,000.

Just BUY IT FROM HIM NOW

Sorry, I just saw this post.

My '92 Navajo has 230,000 miles on it. Original engine, third tranny. No other major problems. The engin runs as good as new, no oil burning, a little leaking around the valve covers, but not enough for worry about.

Originally posted by mahieber
Just BUY IT FROM HIM NOW

Even though the Explorer isn't worth too much, but I have a feeling it will be more than the $1400 I've earned this year. But I have seriously thought about it

I have a '92 Eddie Bauer that had 97,000 miles+ just replaced the engine - rebuild trans, replaced back brakes, nothing else so far -running good except for a clicky-click sound as I accelerate....

Sigh, i bought my 98 sport about a year ago at 15K just before the firestone, now the 99's go for 11 or 12.

We have had 3 explorers in the family. For the 92 sport: sold at 104,000 for 3k there was a little rust on the lower panels but could be fixed.

my mom's 94 has had 136,000 with no major repairs other then new u joints and anti-locs. i think all work on it since it was bought was under 5k... not bad at all.
it would probably sell for maybe 4000-4500

Mileage

I have 53,000:bounce:

actually my 92 explorer is in great shape mechanically accept for the 4wheel drive which will hopefully be repaired this weekend. Thanx to the great info in this forum. I Picked up my X for a measly 4oo beans but the blue book on it is 2600 where I live. 4x4 is golden around here with the snow and stuff (damn Snow Belt). I say whats the sense in owning a car if ya dont make it your own. On a side note I have to say I had a 96 grand cherokee in mint condition that the ex decided to take with her so I picked up the X and aside from not having all the nice little toys in it I like it better. engine seems to have more power then the jeep and every yuppy in the world doesnt own one :0)

Len

Re: Mileage

Originally posted by ruzztec
I have 53,000:bounce:

Damn, low mileage. You need to get the Ex out more!!! :D

Stock 92 XLT-133,000 miles

2nd owner-I bought it at 81,000 miles

Problems:
rebuilt trans at 130,000
rocker panel rust
pealing paint on roof rack
couple sets of brakes
new radius arm bushings at around 125,000
front seat door speakers blew out at 85,000 miles

Our '92 XLT, 4x4, auto has 160,000 on her and almost all original, except for the normal maintenance stuff - tires, brakes, muffler, shocks, U-joints, radio. It has the original engine, auto trans, radiator, oxygen sensor, cat, water pump, alt, MAF, auto hubs, A/C. I'm the 3rd owner, but the truck has been in the family. We get 12-13 MPG around town and 18-19 freeway. I've had it the last 20,000 and have replaced the plug wires, strut bushings, door hinge pins, fuel filter, battery cables, diff cover and belt tensioner. I will be replacing soon the front rotors/bearings/hubs/brake hoses, rear leaf springs, mufflers, throttle body and sway bars. I have also added a trans cooler/filter, engine oil cooler, P/S cooler, and a hitch.

179,000 on my stock 92

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1992 ex has 68,000 mi on it runs great relacing auto hubs "went out" also has overheating prob trying to figure it out @ this time small oil leek "valve cover" unkown gas mi just bought it 3 wks ago for 3,000 cash they wanted 6,000

Back