Question about running wires for amp install. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about running wires for amp install.

Well my thought of the door jam is when you open the door and you see the wire next to the door hinge...sorry.

It's actually several inches behind the door hinge, pretty deep into the fender area. The sun is out today, so I'm about to go snap a pic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You made a bad description, as I think I see how you ran your wire now- no one was criticizing you.

My description, while not 100% accurate, was no worse than the assumptions made by some of you guys, so...

I don't see how you can say no one was criticizing my install, lol.

I will say that getting into a dick measuring contest on here wouldn't be a great idea. I've been installing for over 25 years. Does that matter? Nope

Have you really? That's impressive. You missed the point though. Knowing that, if you were describing an install and I had a question about a certain aspect of it, all you'd have to say is "trust me - it's not ghetto" and I would know that it wasn't. Some people just don't know when to quit.

It's no biggie, really. I just find it funny when people who haven't seen the work stop listening to what I'm telling them about it because they make up their mind and assume I'm some kid who doesn't know how to do an adequate install. I'm proud of the fact that this install is beyond "adequate" and I did every bit of it myself.

stop hijacking the thread! jayton asked a simple question about running wires, who cares who has more experience!

jayton, as long as you're okay with it, run it how you like. as long as it works, it's not dangerous, and you're okay with it. do it how you want to.

jluv, infinity08... stop trying to out do each other, it's annoying. instead of arguing, why don't you work together to help jayton, from what i'm getting, seems this is his/her first install... a little more help, and a little less bickering would help a lot.

good luck jayton, hope it's turning out okay

I'm not having very good luck posting pictures on here. Any advice? Let's see if this works...

EDIT: Didn't work. How do you post pictures on this site?

this is what i do, and it's pretty easy...

first, open up the picture you're wanting to upload in microsoft paint, and resize it so it's a reasonable size.

second, open up two browser windows. one window needs to be the post you're going to be putting the picture in, the other one needs to be (tinypic.com). great hosting site.

upload the picture to tinypic.com , and after you upload it, you'll see the codes on the right, you want the one for the message boards.

then just paste the code in the message forum.

stop hijacking the thread! jayton asked a simple question about running wires, who cares who has more experience!

jayton, as long as you're okay with it, run it how you like. as long as it works, it's not dangerous, and you're okay with it. do it how you want to.

jluv, infinity08... stop trying to out do each other, it's annoying. instead of arguing, why don't you work together to help jayton, from what i'm getting, seems this is his/her first install... a little more help, and a little less bickering would help a lot.

good luck jayton, hope it's turning out okay

Did you even read the thread? This whole discussion is about our different suggestions on where/how to run the wire. I'm trying to get pictures up as we speak. You're the one who needs to chill out. I think we are all trying to help.

this is what i do, and it's pretty easy...

first, open up the picture you're wanting to upload in microsoft paint, and resize it so it's a reasonable size.

second, open up two browser windows. one window needs to be the post you're going to be putting the picture in, the other one needs to be (tinypic.com). great hosting site.

upload the picture to tinypic.com , and after you upload it, you'll see the codes on the right, you want the one for the message boards.

then just paste the code in the message forum.

Cool, thanks. I'll try using tinypic. I've never had to do it that way with any of the other sites I'm on. I already resized the pics, and to get them under the maximum size allwed they came out very small. Any way to fix that?

Hope this works:

4s1wue.jpg

6i5els.jpg

The cable is blue. As mentioned, it's tough to see unless you are up close and looking for it. It sits a couple of inches behind the furthest away edge of the door hinges, so I guess it isn't really in the door jamb. If you're trying to get Oga wire into the cabin from the engine bay, I would recommend this spot, as it does not interfere with the pedals and does not require any drilling through the firewall. That spot where it goes into the vehicle is grommeted, by the way.

If you're running smaller cable, you can most likely get through an existing hole in the firewall and have the cable lay pretty flat under the carpet and go sideways over to the kick panel.

Anyway, good luck with yours.

Did you even read the thread? This whole discussion is about our different suggestions on where/how to run the wire. I'm trying to get pictures up as we speak. You're the one who needs to chill out. I think we are all trying to help.

from what i read, it seemed like you two were both trying to out do the other. mentioning 15 years vs. 25 years of experience...

you both were trying to help. granted. but it came after a bunch of bickering.

and i am chill, i could care less how it's ran, as long as it works.

This was a good post, I was just trying to figure how I was going to run mine when I install my amp, got some ideas reading this.

Wow, I don't even remember this thread. My apologies to jluv, even if far too late. I don't normally act like that. Must've been a really bad day or something.

same here, saved the pics to my computer to go look in the morning if I can run mine the same way :)

Back