RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !! | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !!

I (hopefully) should be getting it soon.

I got the official press release from RCD recently, and it says that it tis for the 2WD also. Here is the quote,

"Santee, CA – RCD Suspension is pleased to announce the release of it’s new, 5” lifted Suspension System for 1998 –2002 Ford Ranger 4wd and 1998 – 2002 Ford Ranger “Edge” 2wd vehicles after nearly 1 ½ years of development and testing."

If this means I don't need to swap to 4WD right away, that would be great, as the wife gets rather upset if I spend large amounts of $$$ on the X all at once. I'm also getting some new bumpers and a winch soon, so I need to keep the costs down somewhat.

So Khris, is this fully compatible with the 2wd? Is it a separate kit, as the 2wd has no front diff? Or do you just not use the diff drop bracket? Any info would be helpful. Muchas gracias.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, your post kind of confused me. We have two ranger kits. The coil over kit that this thread is based on is for the torsion bar 4WD ranger and the torsion bar 2WD ranger Edge which is identicle to the 4WD it's just missing the diff, axles, and transfercase. The kit will bolt right in, you just are left with a couple extra un-needed parts. The 2nd kit we make is for the standard coil sprung 2WD ranger. I believe it is shipping now also, if it's not I would guess it will be within a week but I seriously think it is going out the door right now as orders come in. This kit is FAR more simple then the torsion bar kit and if you have floor jacks, a jack, and a set of hand tools I would say install it yourself. I've ridden in trucks with this 2WD kit and they handle REALLY nice. Rember, this is all for Rangers, I'm not sure what the 2WD explorer setup is. Basically on the Rangers if it's a torsion bar you need our 4WD kit, if it's a coil spring you need our 2WD kit. Once again though, we've NEVER fit tested these kits to see that they work on the explorer line. We also don't recomend or market them towards the explorers. You guys are solely going on word of mouth from other owners that this kit will fit...

“Edge” 2wd vehicles after nearly 1 ½ years of development and testing."

Wait a minute. How is this going to work on a 2wd if you change the spindle on the kit. The spindle is just for 4wd. Can u get more information on this cus if it'll work on a 2wd then i'm going to get it for sure?

I was thinking about that also how can the kit work for a 2wd because the kit comes with bigger 4wd spindles and those would not work on a 2wd. But SCEXPLORER we both have the 3" spindles and those spindles might be able to take the place of the 4wd spindles that come in the kit. So the this kit might work on your explorer.

Originally posted by GIJOE
I was thinking about that also how can the kit work for a 2wd because the kit comes with bigger 4wd spindles and those would not work on a 2wd. But SCEXPLORER we both have the 3" spindles and those spindles might be able to take the place of the 4wd spindles that come in the kit. So the this kit might work on your explorer.

Yeah. I've been toying with that idea of using the 3" life spindle. Sirhk do you know how much lift the RCD spindle gives?

That's why I was confused.

The press release said 2wd Ranger, which has no front diff and different spindles. The spindles may work anyway. But would you need to get new 4wd hubs? This the part I'm confused on.

Here is a link to the press release I got.

http://home.elp.rr.com/bav/images/New Product Release - 10-42498 Consumer.doc

I'm just a bit fuzzy on how the kit will fit both 2wd and 4wd Rangers. If it will fit the Ranger, it will fit the Explorere as well, of that I'm pretty certain. The onnly concern I have is on how it fits both drive systems. Any info you can get would be helpful Khris. Thanks.

Well i just emailed RCD about it fitting a 2wd Edge and this was their response.

Ray:

Our system fits the 2WD Edge. We have several system installed on the Edge.

Thank you.

So i guess it does work on 2wd also.

Now, the next thing is to verify that the Edge front suspension is indeed identical to the 2wd Explorer. Anyone have an Edge or know someone who does? If you could take a peek underneath and compare the two, that would be greatly appreciated.

I am some what sure that the Edge and the Explorers suspensions are the same at least thats what the custom suspension shop tell me.
Because the 2wd Edge has torsion bars just like the 2wd Explorer.

Then I should be ordering the kit some time in the next few weeks. Anyone found a place that has it cheap? The Rocky Mountain Suspension web site now lists it for $2200. I can get it locally for $2800 installed. Someone mentioned it for about $1400 in a post before, but I didn't see it (it's probably there somewhere in the many pages...).

I am also very interested in this kit, keep us informed Doc.

Re: RCD

Originally posted by Premier
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/fd2_Rngr.htm

Here is the RCD lift for 1,361.00 It is from rocky mountain suspension and it is 6". I called them and talked to them about it fitting earlier models and the guy told me that the newer rangers were totally different than the older ones... He then told me that it was absolutely impossible to fit this lift onto an explorer(well mine anyways wich is a '96) So it looks like a SAS or a Superlift. I guess the SAS is not much more expensive and is a whole lot better... Guess i'll have to start researching the SAS now. :rolleyes:

From 1 page back. This was the price on the site, but now I cant seem to access it....

Yeah, it's listed for $2200 now...

I'm going to shop around for it cheaper.

Has anyone ordered this kit? Anyone installed one?

With most of the original interest in this kit gone, I need to decide if it stills deserves the "sticky".

I was going to order one, but decided to wait a while to see about another possible option. I also got caught up in buying other stuff, so I've got to wait a while so I don't anger higher powers (the wife) too much.

So now it's near the end of October. Has anyone installed the kit on an Explorer yet?

If this kit has any decent amount of flex of front and doesnt ride like a horrid hell horse, and gets rid of that stupi t-bar clearance issue, I would be very intrested in trying it, depending on the price I could get on it...

has anyone bought this kit yet??? I am thinking that I wanna give it a try and was wondering if anyone has any expirience with it yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back