RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !! | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !!

No pics yet. I just finished rounding up all the parts. I'm replacing axle seals and ball joints, etc.

The rear fender lip is just shy of 4 feet high with a 33" tire. It's a little too high, but the add-a-leaf is still in. When I get the front completely together, I'll see if the rear needs to come down. Hopefully it will cause it's a bit too much.

My bumpers are already over 30" and that is the state limit. I am going to 35"s and that would put the bumpers around 34 to 35".

I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do you like that lift so far?

Dude, you guys are gonna drool when you see the brake lines we had made for this kit!!! Those alone make it worth the $$$:D

Look at these babies!!! The cutaway in the baggy is what they consist of...

fb85aa86.jpg

That there is your typical DOT approved, brake line with a plastic center wrapped in Kevlar, wrapped in rubber line, wrapped in stanless steel braided line with a *****in clear plastic tubing covering the entire assembly!!!

MMM MMM GOOD!!!

RCD

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/fd2_Rngr.htm

Here is the RCD lift for 1,361.00 It is from rocky mountain suspension and it is 6". I called them and talked to them about it fitting earlier models and the guy told me that the newer rangers were totally different than the older ones... He then told me that it was absolutely impossible to fit this lift onto an explorer(well mine anyways wich is a '96) So it looks like a SAS or a Superlift. I guess the SAS is not much more expensive and is a whole lot better... Guess i'll have to start researching the SAS now. :rolleyes:

Actually so far the concensus is that it should fit on your truck just fine... But I guess we'll have to wait until someone puts it on... And don't count on the SAS being "not much more" the SAS will proably run you at least 3K unless you're going to do all of the fabwork yourself, and even then you'll probably be at least 1K into parts alone...

I learned one thing from working on automobiles:

Never trust anybody and definately don't trust anyone on the phone.

I would def look into that more. People don't know what they are talking about. It's not their fault, they could even be experts, but they have too broad a range of automobiles to study and no one knows everything. Suspension systems for a Ford Explorer is a very detailed topic, and I doubt this guy on the phone from Rocky Mountains is an expert on it. It seems suspect to me how the "newer Rangers are TOTALLY different" and how it's "IMPOSSIBLE" to fit it on an Explorer.

Also, keep in mind, they have liability over at Rocky Mountain as well as anywhere else selling the kit. Retro fitting suspension lifts is a very shady and sensitive topic (don't forget about the whole Explorer roll-over thing) especially to someone selling you the lift. They arn't going to tell you to "go ahead, you can make this lift fit something its not meant for! then when it comes apart or you roll over, you can sue me!"

In my experience, the best info on Ford Explorers and what fits them will be on this site. You will get more real facts from here than anyone especially Ford themselves, and people here don't have to be biased by liability problems. In the end the ultimate Expert has to be you.

HEATH

Originally posted by lizardtrac
$2500 WOW!!!! cost me a quarter of that for the SAS, why is it so much? and for the rear, is it a SOA? or new lift springs and shocks? I believe the rear springs are 58.5".... but from what I hear, ranger springs will not work on an explorer, being that they are narrower.

Well This is where I got my info about the SAS being cheaper. Also lizardtrac states that the rear leafs will not work on the X. Found this on Pg.25

Edit: Yea BonesDT I think your right. I will just keep saving my money up and if someone puts the RCD on an X then I will do the same, but if no one does this then I will prob go for a SAS or Superlift.

Lizard did all of his own work I believe... And must have gotten some great deals on parts...

As for the rear of the kit not fitting, big deal, sell it to a ranger owner that needs new rear springs and buy the superlift kit for $125...

or do a SOA

Yea I plan on doing a SOA if I get the superlift. Just hafta wait and see if anyone gets the RCD and puts it on an X. I guess I could be the first, but I hate being a guinea pig :(

i wouldn't worry too much. if that thing is really for sale already, it should be anyday now that someone will be the guinea pig

I'd be the guinea pig!

If I could get some one to pay for the kit.

WAIT! Donations? Anyone.....:rolleyes: I'll let you ride in it!:D

Looking at that Rocky Mountain write up, I don't see this being the coilover kit. It doesn't mention anything about coilovers, and it also says "...come with four Bilstein 5100 Series Performance Mono-Tube shocks..."

Am I reading this wrong?

to the right of that paragraph it says this:

"More technical information & photos to be posted shortly. This 6" lift converts the Ranger torsion bar suspension to a coil over suspension!!"

Any word from your boss about selling that front driveshaft spacer seperately?

I'm still running without a front shaft, but will need to do something before winter time.

Shoot, I completely forgot about that... I'll check into it.

Khris

how expensive r coil over kits? like 5 inches. and also what else could be done to the rear of a 07 2wd explorer? i was thinking add a leafs but i dunno

looks like you meant '97 unless you got some cool concept truck.

theres only one coil-over kit remotely designed for the explorer right now, and thats this Ranger designed RCD one.

as far as the rear, any combination of Warrior shackles, add-a-leafs, blocks, 4" leaf springs (such as Superlifts), and probably your best bet, SOA which should give you near 5.5" with stock shackles and leafs.

EDIT: im sorry, you couldn't really use blocks. blocks would actually lower your rear with the stock SUA (spring under axle). blocks only lift the rear if you have a SOA, which by then you would already have a good 5.5". blocks would allow you to go higher.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

has anyone bought one of these yet....

for an Explorer ???

Back