Rearview Camera Problems | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought a 2013 Explorer with an expired basic warranty. Love the vehicle (much better than my old '96) but recently the backup camera started dying occasionally, often with the "see your dealer" message people mention on the forum. Now the camera probably works about once in every three backups.

Is this something that I can DIY, or does it need to go to the dealer? I imagine it will cost a fortune at the dealer...Thanks for any advice.

Visit link for detailed camera replacement instructions. Just replaced mine and it works like a champ.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks so much Peter! $300 isn't bad for the camera if I need to replace it, assuming those rates still hold. And I'll figure out what model I bought. It didn't say anything on the bill of sale and there are no badges on the back of the vehicle, but it has leather and special stereo and double moon roof and towing package and so on, so I assume it's not the "base."

Thanks again!
Ole
Just replaced camera myself and it works like a champ.

My backup camera has a similar default as you guys. The information on the camera is now all gone. I went twice to the dealer. The very first time I got an update of the whole system then it works fine for few minutes. The second time, this is what I don't like at all. Regarding what the mechanic told me, the problem is the camera.

The computer says need a new camera. The camera was fuggy… of course it is winter outside so it gets dirty. When he open the trunk, he saw that the wires were having green stuff on it (French guy here lol), he only cleaned the wires.

When I lose the info on the camera, it's due to the camera not to MFT.

It will cost me $200 for a new camera.

Do you guys believe in it?
100 dollars for camera on Ebay. 15 minute job, replace it yourself. Just did mine and it works like a champ. See two posts ago for YouTube video in how to fix.

Visit link for detailed camera replacement instructions. Just replaced mine and it works like a champ.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Thanks for posting and sharing the video.:thumbsup:

Peter

My wife's 2014 review camera works intermittently. Anyone know what would cause this? I just signed up to this forum.
Thanks for the help.

Review Camera or Rear View Camera? Don't know what a Review Camera is, but I would think that a Rear View Camera would only work in.. uh, well..., reverse.

Review Camera or Rear View Camera? Don't know what a Review Camera is, but I would think that a Rear View Camera would only work in.. uh, well..., reverse.
Gee thanks for that helpful information.

You asked.

the camera is intermittent because of one of two reasons. Either the camera itself is going bad or the connection of wiring is such that it needs attention. Some times wiring connectors will be loose or corroded to the point they need repair. Wiggle test wiring and connectors to find the suspect cause.
Bring it over and I'll look at it for you.
We will even get Duane to fix us all a snack while I work

Take it back to your dealership. It's under warranty.

Review Camera = camera to "review" what is behind you! ;)

For someone who has been around here for a few years, you know that every body is new at one time and this type of response is not needed nor warranted. It doesn't help the OP in any way so being you have a 1998, why are you even bothering to reply in here and add nothing to their problem?

If you can't help, assist or add anything valuable, then I'd recommend not coming into this forum.

My wife's 2014 review camera works intermittently. Anyone know what would cause this? I just signed up to this forum.
Thanks for the help.
Your thread has been merged with this existing one found using the Forum's handy 'Search' function. You will find that the majority of members here are always willing to help out others with their issues. When you have the intermittent issues with the camera does the screen display a message to contact the dealer? This usually results in the camera having to eventually be replaced. As posted by machine090767, take it to the dealer to have them check it out. The vehicle should still be under warranty unless you've exceeded the mileage. Good luck.

Peter

Thank you so much for the recommendation jrmexplorer. With something as frustrating as this, I’d like to reach out to offer my assistance by escalating your concern. If you are OK with sending me a PM with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name, I’ll be happy to do this to help resolve the issues you are experiencing.

Loganfilm, please let me know with a private message when it’s a better time for you to be contacted so this can be avoided in the future.

Cory
Hi Cory

I understand that you'll help where you can with issues on our explorers.
I have a 2011 limited in the rear camera just stopped working on my monitor. It says camera unavailable contact dealer. I was hoping there was an easy fix for this like a fuse or reset.

Thank you very much,

Rob

Hi Cory

I understand that you'll help where you can with issues on our explorers.
I have a 2011 limited in the rear camera just stopped working on my monitor. It says camera unavailable contact dealer. I was hoping there was an easy fix for this like a fuse or reset.

Thank you very much,

Rob
Cory has not been on this forum for quite some time. Given that you have a 2011 Explorer I would say that there is a good chance that you will require a new camera.
There have been several reports of this issue with 2011 and 2012 model years. Almost like the camera has an 'end of life' usage. You can do the work your self or have the dealer do it. See post 277. If you do it your self, you will still have to see that dealer to have the camera matched to your vehicle. Good luck Rob.

Peter

I bought a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited. The Sync system wasn't working well, and we did the update, which crashed half way through. Took it to the local Ford dealer who "fixed it" for $100. They got it to update, but it didn't help the initial issues. The back up camera goes out all the time, if I receive a call, the station I was listening to is no longer there and it's playing something from my phone, or I can't get off the home screen to do anything. It's been into another dealership twice now, with no luck. I will NOT go back to that dealership due to being treated very rudely by the service manager. There is an extended warranty on the Sync system, but it's about to run out due to the mileage. Any suggestions????

Thank you for the update. I agree that changing your settings back to how you like it is a bit tedious, but I’m glad it’s fixed now too. If you have any other issues and would like my help, please don’t hesitate to message me here.

Cory

I bought a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited. The Sync system wasn't working well, and we did the update, which crashed half way through. Took it to the local Ford dealer who "fixed it" for $100. They got it to update, but it didn't help the initial issues. The back up camera goes out all the time, if I receive a call, the station I was listening to is no longer there and it's playing something from my phone, or I can't get off the home screen to do anything. It's been into another dealership twice now, with no luck. I will NOT go back to that dealership due to being treated very rudely by the service manager. There is an extended warranty on the Sync system, but it's about to run out due to the mileage. Any suggestions????
MFT software updates should be FREE, even if done by the dealer. If your issue is with the APIM, Ford extended the APIM warranty to 5 years, unlimited mileage. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT. This extension was only on vehicles built before a certain date. Haven't found that date yet.

Peter

MFT software updates should be FREE, even if done by the dealer. If your issue is with the APIM, Ford extended the APIM warranty to 5 years, unlimited mileage. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT. This extension was only on vehicles built before a certain date. Haven't found that date yet.

Peter
I think they charged me because we had tried to update it ourselves and it failed. At least I hope they didn't screw me out of $100. I tried to tell the service manager about the APIM warranty and he laughed at me and told me that wasn't the problem. He also told me it was mileage bound and I'm close to that number of miles.

Just found this article in which it says;

"In a telephone interview, Alan Hall, a Ford spokesman, said the automaker would increase the coverage on the Ford system from three years, or 36,000 miles, to five years with unlimited mileage. Coverage on the Lincoln system will increase from four years, or 50,000, miles to six years and unlimited mileage. The action covers owners of all 2011, 2012 and 2013 models."

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/ford-extends-warranties-on-myford-touch-system/?_r=0

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just found this article in which it says;

"In a telephone interview, Alan Hall, a Ford spokesman, said the automaker would increase the coverage on the Ford system from three years, or 36,000 miles, to five years with unlimited mileage. Coverage on the Lincoln system will increase from four years, or 50,000, miles to six years and unlimited mileage. The action covers owners of all 2011, 2012 and 2013 models."

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/ford-extends-warranties-on-myford-touch-system/?_r=0

Peter
That's great. I won't worry about getting it in too quickly. Interesting that the service manager wasn't aware. Or maybe he was and just wanted to be a jerk.

Back