Rearview Camera Problems | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Cory has not been on this forum for quite some time. Given that you have a 2011 Explorer I would say that there is a good chance that you will require a new camera.
There have been several reports of this issue with 2011 and 2012 model years. Almost like the camera has an 'end of life' usage. You can do the work your self or have the dealer do it. See post 277. If you do it your self, you will still have to see that dealer to have the camera matched to your vehicle. Good luck Rob.

Peter

There seem to be no shortage of issues with backup cameras, so I figured I would add mine to the mix for my first post.

Just bought a CPO 2013 Explorer Limited and within 4 weeks I started having intermittent issues and have received what appears to now be the standard: "camera unavailable contact dealer." Is this an issue bigger Ford is aware of or is there a way to submit it. Seems like eventually it could get to recall levels if enough people report.

Is the only real fix to take the car to the dealer? What is it I should tell them so I don't end up paying out of pocket for things that should be covered? is this a Synch issue or just a backup camera issue. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There seem to be no shortage of issues with backup cameras, so I figured I would add mine to the mix for my first post.

Just bought a CPO 2013 Explorer Limited and within 4 weeks I started having intermittent issues and have received what appears to now be the standard: "camera unavailable contact dealer." Is this an issue bigger Ford is aware of or is there a way to submit it. Seems like eventually it could get to recall levels if enough people report.

Is the only real fix to take the car to the dealer? What is it I should tell them so I don't end up paying out of pocket for things that should be covered? is this a Synch issue or just a backup camera issue. Thanks for any help.
see post 277 on the previous page. This is not a Sync issue and I highly doubt that you will see a recall. As I've mentioned a few times, it almost seems as if these cameras have a 'life span issue'. I'm guessing that the Explorer isn't under the factory (3year/36k mile) warranty any longer.
The CPO doesn't cover the rearview camera.

Peter

see post 277 on the previous page. This is not a Sync issue and I highly doubt that you will see a recall. As I've mentioned a few times, it almost seems as if these cameras have a 'life span issue'. I'm guessing that the Explorer isn't under the factory (3year/36k mile) warranty any longer.
The CPO doesn't cover the rearview camera.

Peter

You are correct, 40k mileage. hoping this doesn't become too much of lemon...

how could i check that my cr had "flexible" guidelines?

i had only the "fixed" guidelines and don´t really know if i had the "flexible" lines, and a previous owner had replaced the camera and didn´t reconfigured it

maybe someone have a idea? :)

how could i check that my cr had "flexible" guidelines?

i had only the "fixed" guidelines and don´t really know if i had the "flexible" lines, and a previous owner had replaced the camera and didn´t reconfigured it

maybe someone have a idea? :)
The "active guidelines" are only on vehicles equipped with "Active Park Assist".

Peter

hmm...

i imagine (or hope :))....

that it could be activated because, there is only a need of steering angle sensor (who is needed for ESP and definitely installed)...

Update: Issue solved!
Dealer fixed the backup camera issue and heater issue. Car rental was paid by the dealer.

I am dealing with the same issue you had with your reverse camera, where the screen shows a mirror image while in reverse. What did the dealership do to resolve the issue? When I called and talked to my service guy, he said he talked to his staff but they were not sure. He recommended me bringing it in, but I'd like to do anything on my end first that may resolve it.

I am dealing with the same issue you had with your reverse camera, where the screen shows a mirror image while in reverse. What did the dealership do to resolve the issue? When I called and talked to my service guy, he said he talked to his staff but they were not sure. He recommended me bringing it in, but I'd like to do anything on my end first that may resolve it.
There are a more posts about the "mirror image" issue. It looks like you will need a new rearview camera. You can have the dealer install it or do it yourself. If DIY you will still have to get the dealer to match it up with the vehicle.

Peter

i have a 2013 explorer XLT, for the past few days my back up camera has been selective about when it wants to work and when it doesn't. When it isn't working a message displays that the camera is unavailable contact the manufacturer... so I took it to the shop where is started working and now this pos is malfunctioning again! Any suggestions??? I am about to lose it!

i have a 2013 explorer XLT, for the past few days my back up camera has been selective about when it wants to work and when it doesn't. When it isn't working a message displays that the camera is unavailable contact the manufacturer... so I took it to the shop where is started working and now this pos is malfunctioning again! Any suggestions??? I am about to lose it!
Your thread has been merged with this one found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature (top right corner). Looks like you will have to replace the camera. There have been several such instances in the past year.

Peter

Same issue here - going to bring it in for service under ESP

I thought somewhere in this thread the cameras were stated to be $100-150. eBay is showing me $374. Am I missing something?

I thought somewhere in this thread the cameras were stated to be $100-150. eBay is showing me $374. Am I missing something?
See post 190. There are other posts that mention prices as well. You can find them the way I did by using the 'Search' feature and searching this thread.

Peter

On Fordparts.com the camera is listed at $150.97. One of our site vendors, Levittown Ford Super Center shows it at $87.25. In a previous post in this thread, a member posted that he replaced it himself and I think it was about a 30 minute job. In some cases the dealer will still have to set up the programming to match your vehicle. I think this was mainly for those that have the 'Active Guidelines'. Hope this helps.

Peter

Maybe I'm an idiot, and I most likely am, but neither option is working for me. I don't even see the parts on the websites.

Maybe I'm an idiot, and I most likely am, but neither option is working for me. I don't even see the parts on the websites.
I just rechecked fordparts.com and the camera now shows as being $506.27. Levittown shows it for $316.47 and AutoNation has it for $302.71. Since your profile doesn't show which trim level you have (pls add) I checked both Limited and XLT and the costs are the same. In this case, eBay doesn't seem too far off but not the best price.

Peter

I just rechecked fordparts.com and the camera now shows as being $506.27. Levittown shows it for $316.47 and AutoNation has it for $302.71. Since your profile doesn't show which trim level you have (pls add) I checked both Limited and XLT and the costs are the same. In this case, eBay doesn't seem too far off but not the best price.

Peter
That's nuts. How does a product suddenly increase in price by 300%?

That's nuts. How does a product suddenly increase in price by 300%?
Because they are a piece of crap and keep failing, so they increase the price to keep people from replacing them or to make up for all the warranty replacements. I am about to call the dealer to have mine replaced again, before it runs out of the 2 year warranty for replacement parts.

The replacement job itself is extremely easy. I took my exisitng camera out and cleaned the contacts in about 15 minutes. Does anyone have any suggestions on where/how to get a better price on the camera?

The replacement job itself is extremely easy. I took my exisitng camera out and cleaned the contacts in about 15 minutes. Does anyone have any suggestions on where/how to get a better price on the camera?
I guess you could try and find a salvaged Explorer or contact one of those places. Usually they have some kind of network that can check for specific models. The problem is that you could soon find yourself in the same predicament again if it was one of the early models.
One thing I noticed is that the camera in my 2014 MKT has a superior picture over the one I had in my 2011 Ex. Limited. This was also mentioned by other posters that the later cameras had almost HD quality pictures.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in the same boat as you. My backup camera shows a mirror image every time I put it in reverse. I have scoured the internet and found there are places that list it for around $90-$100, but I have placed an order with two different online sites to quickly find out they also upped their price to around $300 (ish). It feels so disgusting they are charging so much for such a simple device. Especially given its failure rate. I refuse to pay that much. I guess I'll have to live with it for now.

Back