Bronco2guy March 20th, photos/carnage/good times | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bronco2guy March 20th, photos/carnage/good times

Ouch -tree :)
084-3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow my tires look small on my rig.. Maybe I need to get 37's.. I had a blast today,, got stuck a few times and sldi down a few hills in the mud. I am not real happy with the performance of the KM2' s in the mud though.

Thanks again Brad. You alot closer then I thought so we can go wheeling any weekend.

Checking in.

Had to deal with unreal snow fall on the way home. It is falling at a rate of 2"/hr, and driving winds that are pretty harsh.

Had a great time this weekend. Thanks for all the hospitality Brad & Amy. Pops was awesome for cooking all that food for everybody.

I didn't have much trouble with my KM 2's at all. They are still fairly new and have tons of meat on them still, and airing down to 12 psi made all the diff in that mud stuff. Never got stuck, but I did slide sideways going down a steep embankment, and had to let go of the brakes to let it straighten out. Once it was straight, WHAM! Nose dive into the ground! All good tho, the brush guard took the impact, and I had no damage whatsoever, phew!

Took a little carnage to the rear bumper trim, no biggie tho.

Bryce has built one bad a** little B2. That thing was the king of the weekend. It was amazing what that thing would do, and was a blast to watch it, and even more fun to ride in it.

Great Pics Brad! Completely different type of wheeling in the back woods, but fun none the less.

Is the black explorer running without the front sway bar attached? It seems like he's getting a bit more flexy in the front than what I've normally seen, from my explorer and others. Even without my front sway I couldn't get the front to do too much. [which is obviously expected] but I'm just curious of the setup... looks like just a bodylift? My stiff torsion bars might have something to do with it also. I've got the stiffest or 2nd stiffest offered from the factory.

Is the black explorer running without the front sway bar attached? It seems like he's getting a bit more flexy in the front than what I've normally seen, from my explorer and others. Even without my front sway I couldn't get the front to do too much. [which is obviously expected] but I'm just curious of the setup... looks like just a bodylift? My stiff torsion bars might have something to do with it also. I've got the stiffest or 2nd stiffest offered from the factory.

No front sway bar.
Had limit straps on.
3" body lift.
Sport Trac (the stiffest) T-bars.

I had a slight feeling it was your truck but something looked different since the last time I checked on it [not sure what it was] In your honest opinion, does removing the front sway bar really make that much of a difference offroad, the only thing I noticed was a smoother ride on trails with lots of lil holes... [And I didn't feel as if the tires were skipping around so much losing a little traction] also, any pictures of these limit straps? And more importantly, why limit straps for the stock IFS? What exactly is taking the most stress here? Upper BJ? Sorry if this is a lil off-topic, but this is more specifically about your truck more than anything.. I really don't think I've seen any stock IFS 2nd Gen that was being that flexy, but then again.. most are afraid to take the front sway bar off because they take things too quick n freak out.. lol..

Storlied,

In your honest opinion, does removing the front sway bar really make that much of a difference offroad,

It makes ALL the difference when wheeling. Independent articulation, and each side is doing it's own thing without fighting the opposite side. With the sway bar connected, Both wheels interact with each other. Energy is transfered to the other side, and the droop is increased without it.

any pictures of these limit straps?

I had a low budget home made strap at the time. These are actually cables for a Ranger tailgate. They did their job well for what they were.
passsidelimitcable2.jpg

I have these on now. 12" straps.
12inchlimitstrap1.jpg

And more importantly, why limit straps for the stock IFS? What exactly is taking the most stress here?

Limit straps are needed without a sway bar hooked up. The Control arms will droop so much that it will over extend the CV axle and break it. The droop will be so great that it will, ruin a UBJ, and stretch a brake line where it could break as well. Setting the strap to stop droop just above max droop for your CV axle give you the most out of your travel distance, thus increases your fun factor..:D

:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back