Scott B.'s V8 Ranger Conversion | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scott B.'s V8 Ranger Conversion

I purchased my Ranger XLT new in September 1993. I ordered it from Ford – even had to wait an extra 2 weeks for delivery due to the floods in the Midwest. After driving the truck for almost 18 years, (including 9 trips across the country) I have put 320,000 miles on the original 4.0L engine and A4LD transmission. The time has come to replace the drivetrain.

The new drivetrain will be a 5.0 L engine (SN95) with an AOD transmission. I am going to run my stock BW1354 transfer case. I have already swapped in a 31-spine 8.8 rear axle.

The objective of the engine build is reliability and reasonable performance. I am looking for 275 – 300 horsepower, lots of torque, and to start every time I touch the key.

I plan to keep the truck OBDI for simplicity, and use my existing column shifter for operating the transmission.

I will detail the engine build here, and the conversion/installation in my build thread. (Starting on page 10, post 192)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

James Duff radiator (half way down the page)

Advance Adapters radiator

I'm thinking about using a Derale fan (not sure which one yet.)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I would go with the JD radiator if I had it to do over again. The Griffin one I have doesn't fit inside/under the core support like the JD says it will. I have barely 2 inches between the radiator and front of the engine. I am using an electric pusher fan because of this. You may have more room that I do though since I am using a 351w with a v-belt setup. The 5.0 with a serpentine belt system may be a little shorter?

Also the lower connection on my radiator is angled in towards the center of the engine, and it made for some serious PITA hose angles/connections.

Then again my Griffin was only about $160 from Summit, and I'm a cheap-ass, so I don't really have anything to complain about, lol

I went with the JD radiator. I ordered it Wednesday, and received it Thursday! (I guess it helps that they are only 3 hours away.)

It's a really nice unit - made my Afco Racing Radiators. I will have to move my A/C condenser, but since this radiator mounts to the core support under the top flange, it will give me more room in front of the engine.

Yes - the serpentine belt system (which uses a short-snout reverse rotation water pump) is about 2" shorter than the V-belt system.

This will be pretty sweet when all said and done. Hope to see it, in the Mountains someday!! :)

I hope so. It's taking (and will be taking) a lot of work - but will be worth it.

I'm sure we'll meet again in Colorado, or Moab...

Parts are being Ordered

Finally starting to order parts!

The plan is to use the factory crank, Eagle 5.400" H-beam rods, Icon short-skirt pistons, 0.030" over, ARP main studs, Edelbrock heads, roller rockers and a custom ground Competition Cam (specs to follow.)

The delay was due to trying to find a long rod/short piston combination for a 302. The crank needs to be index ground, since the rod ends are Chevy-sized vs. Ford-sized.

I will be staying with the standard 50 oz. imbalance.

I have decided not to use the oil pan that came on the engine. While it is the correct shape (dual sump) for this conversion, it has a lot of corrosion on the outside. Ford Motorsports has a conversion kit - oil pan, pickup, dipstick, harmonic balancer, timing cover and water pump. This will solve a few problems.

Pictures later this week.

More Parts

I went to Summit Racing the other day, and came home with some parts and tools!

parts2.jpg

Oil pan kit, consisting of an oil pan, oil pickup, harmonic balancer, water pump, timing cover and dipstick.

oil_pan_kit.jpg

Remote engine oil adapters, remote transmission filter adapter and filter.

filters.jpg

BBK Fuel rails

fuel_rails.jpg

Tools for assembling steel braided hoses.

tools1.jpg

The bad news is the water pump/timing cover in that kit will not work. So, I have to exchange the kit. Apparently, between 1993 and 1994, Ford made a change to the serpentine belt system. Oh well - live and learn.

I went to Summit Racing the other day, and came home with some parts and tools!

I've never seen a Summit Store. Are they super well stocked? I ordered most of my Dart from Summit. It amazes me how much their warehouse has in stock and how quickly they ship.

I've never seen a Summit Store. Are they super well stocked? I ordered most of my Dart from Summit. It amazes me how much their warehouse has in stock and how quickly they ship.

The "store" is attached to the warehouse - so they are pretty well stocked! They have a fairly large showroom, too. Lots of parts on display.

Another cool thing is, if a part you want is out of stock in this warehouse, they will ship it to you from one of the other warehouses for free.

I drove out to there Ohio store/warehouse (main location). 13 hours round trip. I was like a kid in a candy store!

More Parts Ordered

Heads, roller rockers, oil pump, etc. have been ordered.

We need to talk with Comp about a cam - probably have them custom grind one.

The short block has been torn apart - looks really clean inside. Machine work starting soon.

I know I'm behind on the pictures - will try to get some next week.

On a side note, the V6 comes out tomorrow...

Progress

First things first...

Attachments

• EngOut1.JPG
    EngOut1.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 7,078

Any update on this thing?

..I'm glad someone else asked that question..:biggthump

..I called him up to ask him and he asked me if I had missed all his updates he's been posting..:dunno:

I've been working on the truck itself (that's where the updates are being posted) prepping it for the V8.

Parts are in (still need pictures.) Cam was ordered from Comp - should be here. Engine builder was on a cruise last week - I will be talking with him tomorrow. I hoping the engine build will be starting next week.

Summit Racing had a 10% off sale on Friday - I picked up JBA shorty headers, an MSD distributor and a Ron Francis wiring harness. (Pictures when the parts arrive.)

Machine Work Started

Stopped by the shop last night, and my block was being line honed!

It has been tanked to remove all the rust, and painted (a quicky job, to prevent new rust). After all the machine work, the block will be tanked again, then painted with the "good" paint.

It should be decked today, bored next week. The cam has not arrived yet.

The crank is in the lathe, but before he grinds and polishes it, I'm going to take it and clean up the counterweights. I will work on that next week.

Block Surfacing

The block has been surfaced (or decked, if you prefer.)

Sure looks purdy!

Attachments

• In Progress.JPG
    In Progress.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,409
  • InMachince.JPG
    InMachince.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,454
  • Decked.JPG
    Decked.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,405

Boring and Honing

The machine work on the block is finished!

Here, you can see the boring machine and honing machine. The block was bored 0.024" in 3 steps, and honed the final 0.006" in 5 steps. The cylinder walls have quite a finish on them!

As a side note, these machines were used by Ernie Elliot when he was building engines for Bill Elliot, including the year Bill became Million Dollar Bill.

(The block in the boring machine picture is not my block.)

Attachments

• Hone3.JPG
    Hone3.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1,386
  • Hone2.JPG
    Hone2.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,462
  • Bore1.JPG
    Bore1.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,551
  • Hone1.JPG
    Hone1.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,441

Parts Pictures

I finally took pictures of the pistons and rocker arms.

Attachments

• Pistons1.JPG
    Pistons1.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,425
  • Pistons2.JPG
    Pistons2.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,422
  • RockerArms1.JPG
    RockerArms1.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,371
  • RockerArms2.JPG
    RockerArms2.JPG