Section525 - SAS D44 - Page 2 (Finishing... maybe) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - SAS D44 - Page 2 (Finishing... maybe)

The other thread was a little too long and a little too old. :( So this is where you can keep up and give great input and advice so we can all get this project out on the trail as soon as humanly possible. :)

So today I had some time and motivation to get out into the shop. Here is what was accomplished.

001.jpg

Bend up some new taller hoops. These will give me more room to grow. They'll also allow my new bling Ballistic Fab shock tabs to angle down giving tons of clearance to the shocks. I also have some BF lower shock mounts which weld to the c's. They're an inch or so higher than my current mounts.

002.jpg

The Pro-Tools notcher. Super bad. Now I keep my retarded cut-off wheel notches out of the build. :confused:

003.jpg

Way better notch than I could ever do.

004.jpg

Pretty high. Looks like I'll have to have a yard sale to get rid of the items that used to be there.

005.jpg

Hugh hoops! It'll all make sense when you see the other side. I'm clearing my FJ60 steering box over there.

006.jpg

Tabs and shock in. Lookin' good.

007.jpg

Both sides. It's as done as it's ever been! :p:

008.jpg

And this is where I left off. I cut the engine brace shorter than I wanted to. I'm a total newb at this bending stuff. So I'll have to wait until Monday at the earliest to pick up some more 1.5".

But I do have about 30' of 1.75" laying around. We'll see what the motivation level is like tomorrow. Maybe I'll start some bumpers! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My buddy picked up an EB last weekend so we took the trucks out to play around this morning.

I lost a driveshaft playing follow the leader.

Tomorrow: I'm hooking up the ARB. Promise.

Attachments

• ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 798
  • ex2.jpg
    ex2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 735
  • ex3.jpg
    ex3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 742
  • eb1.jpg
    eb1.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 743

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just lost a strap bolt. It'll be back on the trail tomorrow.

We blew a manifold gasket on the EB too. Eventful trip.

Tell him to just pony up the $75 and get some headers. The stock manifolds on those things are bad about cracking. Ive had two different ones break in half.

You don't even want to know what motor is in there. :(

Yup. SBC. Plan is a 302 EFI with a 4r70w. Then swap this junk into a 67-69 Camaro project. But for now it runs good and we just don't open the hood in public.

But James, why does it have three fuel tanks?

Just about all of them came with 2... the main tank is the one centered behind the back bumper, with the factory aux. on the driver's side saddle position. The main stocker was only like 9 gallons, so most of them got the optional aux. tank.

Some aftermarket company made a copy aux. tank that mounted on the passenger side... i guess people back then didnt like stopping to fill up. :dunno: My 74 (at one time) had the 3 tanks.

As promised.. I'm back on the trail. I spent the morning getting the airline in, the compressor and switches wired up, and the new u-joints and strap in. So of course we had to go to the local hills and try out the ARB (which I bought 10 months ago :( ). It went flawlessly. Very very good mod. :D Can't wait for the snow to fall now.

Attachments

• airline.jpg
    airline.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,111
  • compressor.jpg
    compressor.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,119
  • fords.jpg
    fords.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,094

...Thanks for posting the pics and video...What are you running for a switch??

...Thanks for posting the pics and video...What are you running for a switch??

I'm using the factory ARB switches. But I haven't mounted them yet. I'm waiting to pick up a locker for the rear. ARB forgot to include the "Compressor" switch cover, so I'm running the "Rear Locker" cover as my compressor. So that needs to be fixed. I haven't decided if I'm going to dremel into the dash or just build a little plate under the ashtray to house the switches.

Another pic and vid to follow from my buddy's camera:

P1010919.jpg

Your trucks really lookin good.

It is looking good.

I'm glad you got to go out and play, so, now, can we get a bumper? :p::D

I'm anxious to see what you come up with.

Made a temp little plate for my hydro switches.

streetlowcarshowpics012dp5.jpg

Made a little home for my future rear locker switch. Maybe next month. :D

Attachments

• switches2.jpg
    switches2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 6,300

a rear locker takes priority over a cd player any day :)

Seeing that pic just reminded me I need to fix the t-case shifter so it will go into 4hi before t-haven.:banghead:

what do you have left to fix before t-haven? :p:

Back