TarHeel085's Coilover swap | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TarHeel085's Coilover swap

well the time has come, and the money made itself availible. I had another thread asking about shocks because i wanted to know what length coilover to get, i made this one cause izwack and froader were complaining about the second page :rolleyes: :D i decided on getting Fox 2.0"x5.0" Emulsion shocks, non resevoir. they are 16.40" extended 11.30" collapsed with 5.10" of travel and also utilizing the spherical bushing kit for the Fox 2.0

p_offroad_coil_20x58_emulsion_l.jpg
ORW-Fox-Bushings-01-Full.jpg

simply because, i wont be running the baja in it, and i dont see off road in it very much any more. i got real tired of the groaning, popping, and overall crappy ride that cranked torsion bars give. for right now i ordered just one shock, to fab up everything.

KICKER BARS SCRAPPED!!

warrior_shock_conversion_mount_c.jpg

warrior_universal_shock_mount_c.jpg

for now im going to use these to mount the shocks for mock up, and depending on how thick they are they may remain permanant.

Other then that, i think that ive covered everything, except for the springs. Im thinkin that some eibach 300lb springs, to get a nice ride and also good height without cranking them all the way! if anyone has any suggestions just let me, i need all the advice i can get!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What ever happened with the 900lb spring weight?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I have had the same idea as MounaineerGreen. If the torsion bar is holding the weight of the front end and is responsible for the Harsh ride, would it soften the ride if you put coilovers on the front to assist the torsion bars? Also would that not give you a slight lift up front? I was thinking of doing this in combination of replacing the rear leafs. I do not want to just add shackles to the rear if the leafs are shot.

I have had the same idea as MounaineerGreen. If the torsion bar is holding the weight of the front end and is responsible for the Harsh ride, would it soften the ride if you put coilovers on the front to assist the torsion bars? Also would that not give you a slight lift up front? I was thinking of doing this in combination of replacing the rear leafs. I do not want to just add shackles to the rear if the leafs are shot.
The coilovers would just make the ride even more stiff as the total spring force becomes even greater. Yes it would give you slight lift but you can achieve the same lift by twisting the torsion bars.

i think 900 pound spring rate is over kill i know some poeple at RCD and they run a 600 or 650 for the front of a ranger. I am doing the same thing but i alittle diffrent and i have 700's and they work perfect.

I am wanting to do this conversion. Any results for this project? Or anyone else in the process?

i am in the process i building my own version of the RCD kit but i bought the fox coilovers like he did with 700 pound springs and superlift let me buy parts from the 4inch kit that i needed like the crossmembers and drop brackets and knuckles etc, but it is in the mail so when i get it and the time to put it on i will do a write up with pics. Also as it looks right now i have lifted the rear and bought everything for the front except the coil-over mounts which are only 100 or so and i am at 1700 same price as the superlift but no bars to high center on haha and kick ass looking suspension.

Where are you getting the shock mounts from? And are you using the kicker bars that are in the RCD kit? I had heard that RCD will not sell their parts. Would you mind sending me the specs for the new shocks? I absolutely hate the torsion bar setup.

the shocks i am running are fox emulusion 2.0X6.5 only thing that fits ha, and its almost the same shock as the rcd only better along with the shock i will be running 12inch hypercoil 700's , and as far as the the brackets rcd they will sell the brackets its a lil pricey but if your doing coil overs in the first place you should know if your going to do it right you will have to fork over alot of time and cash

o i see you have the superlift kit already to that make life alot easier you already have 3/4 of the parts you only have to buy the coil-overs and brackets. As far as kicker bars i dont know yet there is nothing there now except torison bars and they do absolutley squat for bracing so i dont know i wouldnt think that the crossmembers would move much if not at all.

Just wondered if there were any updates to this. I'm curious if I could get the upper and lower mounts from RCD. Then get the shocks from someone else if I can get the part number. That is if RCD wouldn't sell me the shocks too.

you dont want the rcd coils because they are for a ranger so softer spring rate so better off buying like fox or kings if you have the money and you can order rcd mounts from them just make up a stupid story like me and they will sell them to you and i dont know part #'s i just said upper and lower coil-over mounts off the 5inch ranger kit and they are like 160 plus 10 or 15 for shipping. I almost have all my parts together so i can do my swap but mines a 6 incher. Next week at the earliest

Forgot where this thread was located. Anyways have you made any progress yet? I went wheeling again, and the torsion bar anchors hit everything!!!

hey guy its been a long time since i have been on here i have been very freakin busy here check my car domain cause i dont know how to put pics on here i am dont with my coil-over swap

I love the upside down sway bar link lol. BTW Here's what RCD says is all that you need to mount the shocks.

yeah those links i threw on there just to get my inspection sticker.

parts list:

9637 Steering Knuckles (2)
55-04-9630 Diff Drop Bracket (2)
55-05-9630 Crossmember Drop Brackets (4)
55-06-9630 Front Crossmember (1)
55-07-9630 Rear Crossmember (1)
55-08-9630 Diff Drop Bracket (1) didnt use this one because it mounts to the bump stop which is no longer there.
55-21-9630 Diff Drop Bracket (1)
980-99-001-A Fox Coil-Over Shox (2)
EB1200.250.0XXX Eibach Springs (2)
coil-over brackets (4) 2 uppers and lowers
bolt kit from superlift which was ****ty becuse the rere who put the bolts in it didnt get the right ones so that was a $50 trip to lowes.

those coil-overs look like they my not squeeze in there and i do mean squeeze. As far as kicker bar i didnt duplicat those doesnt ride any diffrent now if i was pre runn''n the thing i would have them. I actually plan on doing something like them but to protect the front shaft.

Back