TarHeel085's Coilover swap | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TarHeel085's Coilover swap

well the time has come, and the money made itself availible. I had another thread asking about shocks because i wanted to know what length coilover to get, i made this one cause izwack and froader were complaining about the second page :rolleyes: :D i decided on getting Fox 2.0"x5.0" Emulsion shocks, non resevoir. they are 16.40" extended 11.30" collapsed with 5.10" of travel and also utilizing the spherical bushing kit for the Fox 2.0

p_offroad_coil_20x58_emulsion_l.jpg
ORW-Fox-Bushings-01-Full.jpg

simply because, i wont be running the baja in it, and i dont see off road in it very much any more. i got real tired of the groaning, popping, and overall crappy ride that cranked torsion bars give. for right now i ordered just one shock, to fab up everything.

KICKER BARS SCRAPPED!!

warrior_shock_conversion_mount_c.jpg

warrior_universal_shock_mount_c.jpg

for now im going to use these to mount the shocks for mock up, and depending on how thick they are they may remain permanant.

Other then that, i think that ive covered everything, except for the springs. Im thinkin that some eibach 300lb springs, to get a nice ride and also good height without cranking them all the way! if anyone has any suggestions just let me, i need all the advice i can get!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

zhanx said:
so i see you talked rcd into selling the mount.. but for 100 i think its kind of steep. is that 3/16 steel?
haha, yeah i worked my magic on them! :p but your right $100 is lil steep, but man, they are thick, im pretty sure they are 3/16" i just dont have the time or resources to make them. but i ordered my springs 800lb Eibachs (blue :D ) and my other shock for cheaper then any place i found online. should be here next friday or so. gunna get gusseting sometime next week. so i should be good to go.

BTW zhanx, does anyone down your way want a dry nitrous kit, or you maybe ;)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

umm no on the nitrous...

hey i found out something today that might affect your build. I changed out my front shocks last week for longer travel ones. Well today i noticed a spot under the truck in the drive way.. well two of them. I slide under and i was leaking at my seals. seems the new shocks can pull out the cv axle stub from the axle. I am gonna look into slip jointing the cv shafts. You might need to also. This should help prevent them from being pulled out and cause the axle to leak etc..

really? as many times as ive had my front at full droop, with no shocks, i havent seen that. it sucks though! but mine isnt gunna be long travel, its actually gunna be almost EXACTLY the same as stock in terms of droop and travel, so i shouldnt have to worry about that. i was kinda hopin that your limit strap thread would get more replys, cause im gunna have to get some to, if you end up ordering some let me know where you plan to mount them and how, cause i will need to do the same thing!!

BTW i figured out how to get the coils on, the bottom retainer comes off and the coil slides on.

i am gonna measure up them on monday and order them i'll let you know how it goes.

It didn't. spent the day looking for a wire short in my lightning. turned out that the starter is going bad (i have very high compression in it).

It was acting like the battery was drained. I'd jump it and it would start, so i swapped in a new battery. Worked so i was like cool shut it off went inside to use the bathroom came out to move vehicles and it wouldn't start. just a click. After half a day of looking for a wire short, i had a duh, check the battery with the multimeter it was at 12.8 volts and pulled the starter. I could move the gear by hand so i took to Autozone it passed the test like 10 times. Replaced it anyways, everthing is good. So tommorrow I will measure. I am thinking i will need about 20-24" straps maybe a little less.

I am gonna mount them low to begin with and after they strech move them up. I am gonna try for center on the arms as possible. Check my other thread for a new question on them.

well, i got my springs, 900lb Hypercoils, not sure what went wrong. but anyway, ill see how they work, they might just be exactly what im lookin for, but theres no way to know untill i get them on. and also ordered some 15" limit straps.

hurry up and install those things so i can see it all ready

I want to know how this turns out - I'd love to ditch the t-bars for some coilovers.

SOB these are a pain to put in! im havin some fairly substantial problems, first i had to trim the hell outta the bump stop. the spring only has about 1/4" clearance between the frame, at complete full droop the control arm smacks the springs. so the limit straps are a COMPLETE must to have when doing this. i made up some bracing for the upper conversion mount that i need to weld up. still need to make bracing for the shcok tower. i also had to relocate the brake line on the frame. i still need to trim the bump stop bracket more. and see if i can move the top out a little more to get more clearance, and then mount my straps when they come in :confused: the first pic is somewhat compressed, the last one is where full droop needs to be.
IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Man I think you got the wrong shocks - they look like they're made from paper :p

blue i like blue

I need updates!

zhanx said:
so i see you talked rcd into selling the mount.. but for 100 i think its kind of steep. is that 3/16 steel?

hmm its wierd that they give people a hard time about buying brackets. I had to get some replacement brackets for my lift when i sold it. i didnt even have to give them the serial number, jsut told them what i need and they sent it out.

alright, heres the deal, in between being a full time student, work, and gettin a different car in addition to the explorer this project is sort of on the back burner. hopefully around christmas time ill have this project completed. i hate that ive had to delay it this long, but its just one of those things that i couldnt avoid. updates as soon as they become availible.

sweet i just put on the rcd lift this summer and it rocks smooth ride and nice look now if i only had bigger tire...

Back