The Black Hole | Page 192 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too bad to see the damage… but it happens sometimes I guess.

When I replaced the rear window on mine it was pretty easy. You’re right it’s four nuts and the glass will come out. It’s sealed to the body. On install you’ll want to scrape the old sealer out of the sealing surface on the body and clean with rubbing alcohol. I used 3M Windo-Weld to seal the new one in. It’s just thick butyl tape. Run the tape around the sealing surface, push the new window in, and bolt it down.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Oh yeah, one more thing happened. The new high dollar Ford Motorcraft Rack & pinion......... Snapped completely in half. Yep, dead center, the alum housing cracked all the way around. this caused enough slop that the Heims on the Dr side inner TRE was jamming against the top of cross member frame hole, stopping the wheels from turning left.

That happened on the trail. Kurt was kind enough to stick around and help me off the trail, as the rest went on. It took us 6 hours to get back out, 1/2 way backwards on Poison Spider. The rest of that trail connected to 2 more trails. The rest of the group didn't make it back until after 10pm as it was. Thanks for sticking by my side when most needed Kurt. That was a rough one. (nerves)

It took a day but we got a new aftermarket rack for a few hundred, from Napa. Had to buy their $12.50 quarts of Merc V. Tourist town prices. LOL

We started on the R&R at 1pm, and worked on it until 12am. Did all the work on Kurts trailer, and I had to buy a set of 6 ton stands at Napa for another hundo. (ack)
Did a tape measure Alignment, and got the toe 1/8" in. Woo hoo! Castor/Camber never changed. I was hurting bad from this day, and was wrecked for the rest of the trip, I know Kurt took a beating too. Memories for a lifetime. LOL

BH 8.JPG

BH 9.JPG

If you look closely, you can see where the Inner TRE was hitting the frame at the top of the opening.

BH 10.JPG

This was most likely my last trip there in this rig.

Too bad to see the damage… but it happens sometimes I guess.

When I replaced the rear window on mine it was pretty easy. You’re right it’s four nuts and the glass will come out. It’s sealed to the body. On install you’ll want to scrape the old sealer out of the sealing surface on the body and clean with rubbing alcohol. I used 3M Windo-Weld to seal the new one in. It’s just thick butyl tape. Run the tape around the sealing surface, push the new window in, and bolt it down.
Thanks for the tip on the 3-M tape! I was thinking I might have to search for something crazy, and had to hit up the dealership for a premolded seal or some crap.

You were able to drive back to town with the busted R&P?

Did the R&P bust when it flopped? Man you had a hell of a trip.

You were able to drive back to town with the busted R&P?

Did the R&P bust when it flopped? Man you had a hell of a trip.
Yeppers to both. Was interesting to say the least.

I don't do anything half ass. Most get body damage, I break a R&P on top of body damage. Most take 2 days to travel on their trips, we take 6 days. Most get heart burn, I get 4 stints with 3 operations in 2 days.

I'm an over achiever. 💪

Oh wow, you guys did it up big, take it easy for a while and rest hard.

That rear quarter glass is a simple install with a sealant. But note the OEM at this age most leak a little. You want enough sealant to keep it from leaking, but don't use too much or something that might be closer to impossible to make let go.

I used a 3M caulk tube product on my 93 glass windows, my body shop guy chose it and used it on the windshield also. That was 2002, and the sealant didn't hold the windshield, it slipped after a few years on one side. The quarter glass, both, have held well and not leaked. I plan to R&R both at some point with the original 99 glass(they were slightly scratched in the roll over of the 99).

This is hard to see, Gregg. We know how much work you have put into the Black Hole. Vehicles can be repaired, you can't.

Hot damn
Trail damage is wicked cool when it comes from Moab, chicks dig scars

Why do you keep Breaking manifolds? Do you have the exhaust support in place at the trans crossmember? That piece is extremely important when you do v8 conversion otherwise manifolds suffer

The side cargo Glass is easy once all the plastic is out of the way it just unbolts then you push and it comes out there is a seal but it’s weak no real glue just sticky tape

Rack and pinion snapped in half? I got nothing for this other than holy crap man! Wish I was there I would lay on the trailer and change that sob while you guys hand me tools

Eventful trip for you! I am sooooo glad you got to go! You made it there and back and you got to go wheeling!!! That is all that matters,
Wounds will heal but scars are the story!!!

Dang man, least ya kept the trip interesting, that manifold fight sucks though. Ridiculous how much they put ya through just trying to get a single part.

Surprised that one piece of glass didnt break and only scratched, that and the fender flares, surprised they didnt get demolished with the mirror, guess they were in the perfect spot. I've never taken off a quarter panel glass so I ain't sure either, hopefully it aint too bad for ya though, you've had enough craziness to deal with as of late it seems lol

Man, I don't know what to say. I'm glad you made the trip safely, and coped with the stress. But man, that rig is busting your balls

Thank guys. It is what it is. Damage is done. Just have to put the incident in the rear view, and focus on getting it fixed the best I can do.

I ordered that 3M tape last night, and it's a week out. The border is still full of glass, as we didn't knock all of it out while on the trail. It will be fun to remove all that mess.
A Big Thanks to @Mikerider who helped with the recovery, and the crash wrap job. Much appreciated. 🤘

I believe the exhaust is hanging on the trans mount as it should be, but I will double check. That does bring up another issue tho...

As the rig went down a tall shelf ledge, it hit the trans crossmember, pushing it back a little. The 95 is unlike any other 2nd gen, as it's brackets are actually part of the frame, and not bolt on mounts. They are both bent to the rear. I need a new trans crossmember, and get them mounts fixed, then add a skid plate of some sort. Problem for another day.

Good news is this thing crawled with the best of them on the trails we did get to. It crawled right up everything I pointed it at. Used barely any throttle, and if the tires ever slipped, it was because they was ran at 18psi. I could have gone way down, but I rather spin a little, then pinch a sidewall. They barked a lot when locked on that slickrock, and traction with these MTR's was amazeballs. I took a couple of bypasses as we still had a full week left of wheeling, and I was trying to save the rig as best I could if possible. There was a bypass for that V notch it flopped on, but I had no idea there was one. I would have used it if I knew, as we had a huge day ahead of us, and there was obstacles ahead that had to be taken.

The stress was thru the roof Jon. The trip there & back was more so. Vail Pass about killed the rigs. We pulled off with 2 miles left to climb, to cool down. Met a flatbed driver there. He gave us directions to get off I-70 30 miles after Vail pass, and take a scenic route all the way to Denver. Only added 20-30 mins to the trip, and we avoided the last 2 passes.

The scenic route was that 285?
You made it safely! Wheeling is an interesting sport that is for sure

The scenic route was that 285?
You made it safely! Wheeling is an interesting sport that is for sure
We snaked around and ended up on old Rt 6 that followed Clear creek up til Golden, then on Hwy 58, that eventually met up with I-70. Clear creek route was simply breath taking. Was one giant canyon with a hiking trail and white water rafting the entire way. I would do that again in the daytime for sure. Not so sure I would want to do that at night. Pitch black 2 lane, that reminds me of the Tail of the Dragon.

If those pics were "stolen" from where I think they were stolen from I'm sure the photographer would say you're welcome to them and It was a true pleasure getting them...

So,how are things going? Hope you are well.

Was thinking about this and can't help but wonder if more gears might help with power output. Is it even possible to swap in a 10r80?

The trucks I've ridden in with them really work well, with little effort.

That and a simple 6 psi belt driven supercharger combined might be the golden ticket.

Was thinking about this and can't help but wonder if more gears might help with power output. Is it even possible to swap in a 10r80?

That would be an amazing swap if it could be done. I absolutely love the way our ST shifts. It's the best automatic transmission I've driven.

So,how are things going? Hope you are well.

That and a simple 6 psi belt driven supercharger combined might be the golden ticket.
I'm sure both of those items would help greatly. Problem is I just don't have it in me to mess with anything right now. I got the busted Mirror swapped out, and made room in the 1st gen to haul a door and rear cargo glass over a month ago. I haven't even had the energy to go to the salvage yard to get the parts to install. I can't even think of mods like that currently. Used to take me 1.5 hrs to mow my yard with a walk behind, now it takes me 3 days, as I can only do it in sections at a time.

As far as how I have been.....the above should give you a hint, and to make this Long story longer...

2 weeks ago, my heart Doc wanted to go back in and check things out with a scope after seeing me. I asked why, and he said it was the best way to see whats wrong with me. I had to flat out refuse him. I said figure out a different way. I had multiple chest Xrays, and a bunch of lab work done a couple times now. Said the results are so so, and now wants me to go get a $4k MRI. I haven't made the appointment yet. Monday July the 10th, was my 1 year anniverssary of the attack, and it's been a roller coaster. All extras in life are still on pause.

Back