Uwharrie 2023 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Fix4Dirt The BFG A/T's that the PO put on my Durango are terrible on all terrains. Who knows how they decide how to label a tire, but the cheap Primewell H/T's on my Limited are better on all terrains than those BFG's. Sad.

@Fix4Dirt The BFG A/T's that the PO put on my Durango are terrible on all terrains. Who knows how they decide how to label a tire, but the cheap Primewell H/T's on my Limited are better on all terrains than those BFG's. Sad.
i believe the classification is given by the manufacturer, or general characteristics. I do believe however that MS doesnt denote any noteworthy mud traction, sicne ive seen it on all the all seasons ive seen, i can take some pictures later today of some examples in the driveway

It WILL be very hot out there in July and August though, so plan on bringing more water than you will ever need. @DemonMudder, bring a jacket, our heat is probably cold to you Florida boyos!
I've always got a big ol' jug of water for the truck if it just so happened to need it, can use that and/or fill up a few more. What kind of temps we talking? It ranges from 80°F on a good day to over 100°F, and I'm still usually in a denim jacket (if its windy) or a flannel jacket. I've got thin skin and just get cold easy lol

I'll have 35x12.5 R/Ts probably, if I get a chance to go at all, clearance wise I should hopefully be fine, even traction should be good even with those. Though I still have concerns being 2wd, but by then my winch will be installed, maybe a locker too, but I always have chains and a strap in case I need a pull or to pull someone! So I should be all set by that time if all goes well!

@Fix4Dirt Nice, that is useful information to have. Those links are good articles on the subject. Perhaps this is not the best thread to discuss the topic.

The best thing you can do when buying a tire is look at the tread pattern on the tire, and read reviews from customers who have used a set of them for the stuff you're going to use them for.

i believe the classification is given by the manufacturer, or general characteristics. I do believe however that MS doesnt denote any noteworthy mud traction, sicne ive seen it on all the all seasons ive seen, i can take some pictures later today of some examples in the driveway
I'm not exactly sure on the M/S thing myself, pretty sure both my Falken and Goodrich A/Ts say M/S on 'em if I remember right, they are definitely all terrains but they still have it imprinted

@Fix4Dirt Nice, that is useful information to have. Those links are good articles on the subject. Perhaps this is not the best thread to discuss the topic.

The best thing you can do when buying a tire is look at the tread pattern on the tire, and read reviews from customers who have used a set of them for the stuff you're going to use them for.
true, sorry! hijack over ;) ill start a new thread sometime.

@DemonMudder Don't worry, it was a joke. Summer temperatures run between about 80-100 in NC. The highest I have ever seen on my Explorer was 110, a couple of years ago.

@Fix4Dirt I can 100% vouch for the fact that the manufacturers are not held to any particular standard when they slap a badge on their tires! Tread pattern doesn't lie, and always check the sidewall plies and materials.

@joney An all-season, all-terrain tire is the best balance of them all. I prefer the road manners of A/T's over H/T's, in this environment, because deep puddles are common!

Yeah, I'll be just fine, may have to take some more time and visit some family in North Carolina while I'm semi nearby. As said, hopefully I'll be able to go, looking forward to it!

@DemonMudder I've added you to the list of prospective participants.

@DemonMudder I've added you to the list of prospective participants.
I'm going to give work a general list of times I need off for the rest of the year pretty much, before we open up again just to be a bit more sure I get it. So ya got an idea of how long ya planning to go for? Know there's no date planned yet, but are ya thinking a few days or like a week long trip or so?

@DemonMudder I'm planning on spending 2 nights out. If others want to stay longer, I can spend 3 nights, but must leave immediately in the morning. The others might stay for longer or shorter, you'll have to wait and see what they have in mind.

I can also ask b0wfin on Overland Bound 1 how long he and his group are planning to stay out there.

@DemonMudder I'm planning on spending 2 nights out. If others want to stay longer, I can spend 3 nights, but must leave immediately in the morning. The others might stay for longer or shorter, you'll have to wait and see what they have in mind.

I can also ask b0wfin on Overland Bound 1 how long he and his group are planning to stay out there.
Appreciate it. We'll see then, be there for a few days at least if I can, keeping my truck running as a daily is definitely my priority right now. Especially since I just finished recovering from a wreck lol

I'm not exactly sure on the M/S thing myself, pretty sure both my Falken and Goodrich A/Ts say M/S on 'em if I remember right, they are definitely all terrains but they still have it imprinted
M+S = Mud and Snow! Lots of snow here, not much mud. Chunky tread pattern on my Goodyears. 235/75/15. Won't ever be getting the tiny sidewall type tires, serious wheel eating potholes here. So far, it seems one has to pick either A/T or all season. Haven't found tires so far that are both! I'm finally realizing I should have asked this elsewhere sorry

@joney No worries, we split the tire discussion into its own thread. Here's where to continue:

No new news from Overland Bound 1 as yet, but reminder that this thread is very much still open, and we're looking to add anybody who cares to join in the fun. Still looking at July 12 and onward at the present.

@DemonMudder, we can also plan around your requested time off, so if you plan to slap a few days in your PTO request for this trip, we can simply coordinate based on that. The fact is that it's too early in the year for most of us to have any plans that far out, so whoever makes plans first, that's who we'll schedule around.

Bump!

Checked in with b0wfin, looking like the target range is squaring up to be between Thursday 7/13 through Monday 7/17. If for any reason this date range is not convenient, or if something comes up that interferes (appointments, work, vehicle repairs, emergency, etc.), holler here and we can coordinate!

Well, the rendezvous is set: Friday, July 14 is the day I'm planning to be on the trails. I should be arriving in the afternoon. I plan to spend 2 nights on location, and leave on Sunday morning. Anybody with more time, stay as long as you like!

Well, the rendezvous is set: Friday, July 14 is the day I'm planning to be on the trails. I should be arriving in the afternoon. I plan to spend 2 nights on location, and leave on Sunday morning. Anybody with more time, stay as long as you like!
Sounds good. I'll be there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rally is up on Overland Bound One

Back