Uwharrie 2023 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

@DannyW I saw, thanks! For those who can't view it there, these are the details:

(Quoted from @DannyW 's Rally Point on Overland Bound)

We will meet up at a campsite (TBD closer to rally date) off of the main FS road throughout the day on Friday. Trail passes will need to be purchased if you plan on hitting the trails.
Passes are sold at the following locations:
* Discover Uwharrie Welcome Center
* Eldorado Outpost, 4021 NC109, Troy, NC
* Swift Island BP, NC24/27 and River Rd., Mt. Gilead, NC
* Uwharrie Trails General Store, 4568 NC 109, Troy, NC
* Uwharrie National Forest District Office, Hwy 24/27, east of Troy, NC
The cost is $5 per day or $30 for the season, April to December.
This will not be a "guided" run, but we can decide what trails to run as a group at each mornings' driver meeting.
We will choose trail difficulty levels based on vehicle / driver capabilities and the level of damage that is acceptable :)
We will be primarily primitive camping, but campground camps are nearby if that is your preference. Arrowhead ( Arrowhead Campground, National Forests in North Carolina - Recreation.gov ) is one of the more popular and should be reserved online as soon as you can as it fills up quickly.

(/quote)

I personally am planning to stop at Eldorado Outpost, it's really close to the trails, and they sell Hi-Lift jacks. In different colors. Before I went there last year, I never knew they came in other colors than red.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@DannyW I saw, thanks! For those who can't view it there, these are the details:

(Quoted from @DannyW 's Rally Point on Overland Bound)

We will meet up at a campsite (TBD closer to rally date) off of the main FS road throughout the day on Friday. Trail passes will need to be purchased if you plan on hitting the trails.
Passes are sold at the following locations:
* Discover Uwharrie Welcome Center
* Eldorado Outpost, 4021 NC109, Troy, NC
* Swift Island BP, NC24/27 and River Rd., Mt. Gilead, NC
* Uwharrie Trails General Store, 4568 NC 109, Troy, NC
* Uwharrie National Forest District Office, Hwy 24/27, east of Troy, NC
The cost is $5 per day or $30 for the season, April to December.
This will not be a "guided" run, but we can decide what trails to run as a group at each mornings' driver meeting.
We will choose trail difficulty levels based on vehicle / driver capabilities and the level of damage that is acceptable :)
We will be primarily primitive camping, but campground camps are nearby if that is your preference. Arrowhead ( Arrowhead Campground, National Forests in North Carolina - Recreation.gov ) is one of the more popular and should be reserved online as soon as you can as it fills up quickly.

(/quote)

I personally am planning to stop at Eldorado Outpost, it's really close to the trails, and they sell Hi-Lift jacks. In different colors. Before I went there last year, I never knew they came in other colors than red.
which colors? i know there is black too, and theres some other special editions here and there, some powder coated gold ish color? something like that my memory is vague

@Fix4Dirt If I recall correctly, there were red, black, blue, gold, and white. Not positively sure if the white might have been silver, I don't remember.

Situation update: more are attending from Overland Bound One. No point in keeping track of how many per vehicle, your passengers are your problem, ha ha!

So far, from EF we are looking at the following:

@DintDobbs - Ford Explorer
@DannyW - Ford Explorer
@DemonMudder - Chevrolet Silverado

And from Overland Bound One:

SJ.overland - Toyota Tacoma
Rust Problem - Ford F-150
aka.Kletus - Ford F-150
JJbyrd - Jeep Wrangler
NCFireGuy - Dodge Ram 1500

b0wfin has still not checked in, nor have I seen any activity from his account in a week or so. He is likely on a different outing at the moment.

One other user has not confirmed whether he will be attending or not. This puts us at 8-10 rigs already.

Situation update: more are attending from Overland Bound One. No point in keeping track of how many per vehicle, your passengers are your problem, ha ha!

So far, from EF we are looking at the following:

@DintDobbs - Ford Explorer
@DannyW - Ford Explorer
@DemonMudder - Chevrolet Silverado

And from Overland Bound One:

SJ.overland - Toyota Tacoma
Rust Problem - Ford F-150
aka.Kletus - Ford F-150
JJbyrd - Jeep Wrangler
NCFireGuy - Dodge Ram 1500

b0wfin has still not checked in, nor have I seen any activity from his account in a week or so. He is likely on a different outing at the moment.

One other user has not confirmed whether he will be attending or not. This puts us at 8-10 rigs already.
Sounds like a party to me! Just hoping my rig holds up, a lot of work to be done before then, which if is done beforehand, will mean practically the whole truck has been rebuilt, meaning nothing to worry about. Plus hopefully my lift and winch will be on by that point, so I can tag along the trails a bit easier being 2wd! Looking forward to it, got another guy from an obs chevy group in south carolina that may want to go too if his rig is ready. Can't guarentee it, but hes interested, so maybe 2 silverados

Well I've requested the time off, see if I can get it. Though, that still leaves me having the truck ready for a long trip like that and back. So much to do and so little time lol

@DemonMudder Tell me about it, bro! I just got the lift kit installed on my tow vehicle, but it came back from the shop with no 2nd gear.

Same garage that The Vulture came back from with the auto-4x4 messed up. Wonder if there's some coincidence between the two, like some kind of extremely brutal joyrides or some such. Take 2 trucks in for suspension work, get 2 trucks back with driveline problems they didn't have when dropped off. Smells fishy!

Taking her in for a much-needed transmission checkup, adjusting bands, changing filter, etc. Should have done that as soon as I got it, because I knew there was a harsh shift going on for several years before I owned her. WILL NOT be taking any of my vehicles to that suspension shop again.

It's all part of the preparation process for the big trip, thank Jesus Christ that I didn't encounter this issue while I was far from home!

Man that sucks! That's why I prefer doing my own crap, even with mine being 2wd with coils, those things terrify me lol

Sounds like they're just a crappy shop, or they're one of those that fix one thing but add another so ya come back. Or yeah, some rough joy rides that they shouldn't be taking! Definitely would avoid going back there if at all possible! Hopefully it ain't too bad to fix

@DemonMudder Tell me about it, bro! I just got the lift kit installed on my tow vehicle, but it came back from the shop with no 2nd gear.

Same garage that The Vulture came back from with the auto-4x4 messed up. Wonder if there's some coincidence between the two, like some kind of extremely brutal joyrides or some such. Take 2 trucks in for suspension work, get 2 trucks back with driveline problems they didn't have when dropped off. Smells fishy!

Taking her in for a much-needed transmission checkup, adjusting bands, changing filter, etc. Should have done that as soon as I got it, because I knew there was a harsh shift going on for several years before I owned her. WILL NOT be taking any of my vehicles to that suspension shop again.

It's all part of the preparation process for the big trip, thank Jesus Christ that I didn't encounter this issue while I was far from home!
Yikes!
Must be something cosmic going on. I just started hearing a nasty sound in the rear diff...
Time to dig in. Of course I have the LBL trip on 4/23... No pressure.

Yikes!
Must be something cosmic going on. I just started hearing a nasty sound in the rear diff...
Time to dig in. Of course I have the LBL trip on 4/23... No pressure.
2023 is just making sure we all got our trucks 100% rebuilt so that we ain't got to worry for a other 10-20 years lol

Hopefully it's a quick fix for, hate for ya to miss the trip!

2023 is just making sure we all got our trucks 100% rebuilt so that we ain't got to worry for a other 10-20 years lol

Hopefully it's a quick fix for, hate for ya to miss the trip!
No problem - got 2 more sets of axles in various gear ratios on hand :)
If it has to come out, maybe time to do the 4 link that's been staring at me from the corner of the shop...

No problem - got 2 more sets of axles in various gear ratios on hand :)
If it has to come out, maybe time to do the 4 link that's been staring at me from the corner of the shop...
Upgrades!! Long as ya can finish it in time!

@DannyW Uh oh, time for some overhauls! If you need some pointers on rebuild kits, holla, I might be able to help. Hope ya get 'er done quickly and easily, and can still make your trip!

Welp, getting the tow rig squared away. Went in to change the filter and clean the magnet, and found the guilty part - a damaged accumulator spring. These Dodges aren't as easy to find parts for as the Fords, but she should be back in my hands by the end of the week. New tires will go on closer to the trip.

So far, OB1 hasn't shown much more activity. The folks there are busy with spring time and aren't worried about summer, but we have a small collection of prospective attendees as it stands. Bring extra snacks!

Welp, getting the tow rig squared away. Went in to change the filter and clean the magnet, and found the guilty part - a damaged accumulator spring. These Dodges aren't as easy to find parts for as the Fords, but she should be back in my hands by the end of the week. New tires will go on closer to the trip.

So far, OB1 hasn't shown much more activity. The folks there are busy with spring time and aren't worried about summer, but we have a small collection of prospective attendees as it stands. Bring extra snacks!
Just a quick update from the Overland Bound side;
We are at 10 rigs including myself, plus who's going from here.

I'm still hopeful that I can make it! Just bought over half what I need to get the truck in good shape for a trip. Some other stuff I may order too just for extra performance and less chance taking. Not sure how likely work is to let me get off though, whether my lift and tires are on, engine running right, and all or not. Trying to, but wont know until we get closer for sure if I'll be able to make it.

@DannyW I somehow lost notif's from the OB1 thread on this, and have forgotten to check in recently. Will update on who and what, although trying to keep track of how many occupants per vehicle is a fool's errand. Will find and update ASAP.

@DannyW I somehow lost notif's from the OB1 thread on this, and have forgotten to check in recently. Will update on who and what, although trying to keep track of how many occupants per vehicle is a fool's errand. Will find and update ASAP.
Well in my case it would be pretty much guaranteed to be only me in my rig. So that's one rig down on that list lol

@DemonMudder The list of participants is in POST #13. It's not easy to keep track without notifications, ha ha!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@DemonMudder The list of participants is in POST #13. It's not easy to keep track without notifications, ha ha!
Just got to remember to check in here and there. I do the same with facebook, never get any notifications and have to just check in lol

Back