Upgraded to Navigation | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgraded to Navigation

When using the factory navigation can you have the radio or CD playing and also have a map of your current location on the nav screen?

Do you have to have a destination entered to have the map display on when driving? or will it just show your current position with no directions.

Thanks for help.. I think I will be getting a nav unit soon.

Yes you can play CD or radio, the navigation is on a DVD which is in a separate slot behind the display (it is a motorized tilt down when you need to access that DVD). You can have the map displayed as you drive, it will show your current location. If you are playing a MP3 CD, you can also have it show you the folder and title information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey guys.
I just bought our first ex last weekend but i didnt get teh audiophile i just got the plain singledisk/mp3 with sirius what would have to be changed to get the nav unit to work in mine?

When using the factory navigation can you have the radio or CD playing and also have a map of your current location on the nav screen?

Do you have to have a destination entered to have the map display on when driving? or will it just show your current position with no directions.

Thanks for help.. I think I will be getting a nav unit soon.

The FORD NAV RADIO will play audio at the same time as navigating. No, you do not need a destination programmed for the map to operate.

hey guys.
I just bought our first ex last weekend but i didnt get teh audiophile i just got the plain singledisk/mp3 with sirius what would have to be changed to get the nav unit to work in mine?

Same as the rest of us. You pull out your current radio, install the GPS antenna, connect up the Navigation Radio, reassemble, and good to go! :salute:

Same as the rest of us. You pull out your current radio, install the GPS antenna, connect up the Navigation Radio, reassemble, and good to go! :salute:

what will happen to his audio quality? without the factory subwoofer?

what will happen to his audio quality? without the factory subwoofer?

Good point... (I obviously didn't have my brain fully engaged this morning...) I would think the sound quality would suffer greatly due to the factory subwoofer not being there...

If its like the older Mach units, there is an internal crossover the limits bass to the door speakers(the sub is there to make up for it). So you would have nearly zero low end with an Audiophile system in a non-audiophile truck. I can PM you an email address of someone who might be able to correct it, I know he can for the older Mach units.

When I got my Nav from Tony it came displaying the Mercury logo on it. It really doesn't bother me especially for the price I paid. While I was in the dealer today having the trans TSB done I asked them how much to program the nav to say Ford, he quoted me $40. Turns out it is not that simple, they had to call Ford and get the instructions. Bottom line is you need to pull a data image from the type of vehicle it came from to reprogram the start screen. Bottom line, if it says Mercury when you get it, it will say Mercury forever.

When I got my Nav from Tony it came displaying the Mercury logo on it. It really doesn't bother me especially for the price I paid. While I was in the dealer today having the trans TSB done I asked them how much to program the nav to say Ford, he quoted me $40. Turns out it is not that simple, they had to call Ford and get the instructions. Bottom line is you need to pull a data image from the type of vehicle it came from to reprogram the start screen. Bottom line, if it says Mercury when you get it, it will say Mercury forever.

so really, you could have it display anything? ford / mercury / lincoln / explorer / a picture of the shocker?

ohh the potential...

In reading my previous post I wasn't clear. I would need Ford to plug into a Mercury vehicle to get a data dump which would then allow them to access the nav unit to reprogram the start screen.

How does one know if they have an audiophile head unit? My wife and I just purchased an 06 XLT it has factory Sirius and the HU is a 6 disk in-dash with MP3. I am very very interested in replacing my current HU with the factory nav unit especially since I learned that is was an AVIC unit in disguise.

How does one know if they have an audiophile head unit? My wife and I just purchased an 06 XLT it has factory Sirius and the HU is a 6 disk in-dash with MP3. I am very very interested in replacing my current HU with the factory nav unit especially since I learned that is was an AVIC unit in disguise.

I believe the easiest way to know is if you have the subwoofer in the trunk or not. If you have the subwoofer, you have the audiophile head unit.

I'm embarassed to ask but would this 4th gen factory nav unit work in my 2004 truck (3rd gen)? It has the same plugs in the back...

Ditto on this question. I have an 05 and would be interested in the 06 and up NAV system as well. Do you gys know if it is compatible?

I believe that the GPS replaces the original radio installed in the car. If this is so, and if any of you have the factory radio with the 6-CD changer, I'd be interested in buying it at a reasonable price. Please PM me.

I believe that the GPS replaces the original radio installed in the car. If this is so, and if any of you have the factory radio with the 6-CD changer, I'd be interested in buying it at a reasonable price. Please PM me.

The navigation radio is a plug-and-play solution for 2006+ Explorers. You take out your stock radio and plug in the navigation radio. :salute:

The navigation radio is a plug-and-play solution for 2006+ Explorers. You take out your stock radio and plug in the navigation radio. :salute:

Understood, however someone mentioned that if you did not have the audiophile system you would have no low end bass once you switched to the GPS HU. Is the subwoofer in a box or is it tucked into a panel? I know for sure i have no sub tube or box but have not explored the panels.

Besides leather and a moonroof my X is pretty basic but at 12k I could not pass up the price. I am looking for mods I can do myself to basically upgrade my trim level. :)

Understood, however someone mentioned that if you did not have the audiophile system you would have no low end bass once you switched to the GPS HU.

I believe this is true. The subwoofer is integrated in the passenger side panel in the "trunk."

Another clue besides the subwoofer being located on the passenger side of the cargo area would be having the audio controls on your steering wheel. This would mean that you have the premium sound package. You can still install the factory NAV radio without the subwoofer. All these Nav radios have to be programmed inorder to use any of the features that your EX has. Example: Subwoofer, Steering Wheel Audio Controls, Sirius, Rear DVD Player, Line In. Once they are programmed with your features, the radio is plug and play. I have an 07 EB that came with the premium sound package, I bought one of the factory NAV's off Ebay from someone who also programmed it with all my features and it was indeed plug and play. I'm very impressed with the NAV and it sounds great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well there is definately a speaker in the passenger side cargo area but i do not have steering wheel controls

in the cargo area there is one speaker grill in a panel that is 8 to 10 inches tall and about 24 inches long

Back