• Register Today It's free!

Upgraded to Navigation

bojans

Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
Got a factory Nav unit off of E-Bay to replace the audiophile stereo in my 06 last night. Install was simple and everything works, steering wheel controls and all. Next step is to get the XM direct unit with the I-Pod integrated.

I am very happy with this for $575.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:ttiwwp:

how about some pictures

maybe a stupid question, but how do I post pics here?

maybe a stupid question, but how do I post pics here?

1. Go to http://imageshack.us/
  2. "Browse" to the location on your PC where the image resides
  3. Then click the "Host it" button
  4. After the file is done uploading choose the appropriate image code from the list, "thumbnail for forums" is good
  5. Left click on the code to highlight the code
  6. Then right click and COPY the code.
  7. Come back here and right click and PASTE the code into your next post.

That should do it! Did you have to do anything special to get your steering wheel controls to operate? :salute:

Thanks, I will take some pictures tonight.

Nothing special to get the wheel controls to work, the Nav came out of a vehicle that had wheel controls so it was plug and play.

I also followed bojans footsteps and installed a factory NAV unit today. I followed the sticky on how to remove the old audiophile radio, mounted the NAV antenna in the small area right above the radio (where the wiring connector is for the passenger side air bag indicator light) wrapped around the foam from that wire to prevent any rattle (i'm not sure if this is the correct spot or the best spot) and reconnected all the cables. Everything worked fine, will have to do some testing over the next few days. Next step will be to get the XM Direct kit, FD-XMFD5, which should work with the NAV unit and my rear seat DVD player. :)

apuntsel - Congrats! Where did you get your navigation unit from? That was also a question that I had about mounting the GPS antenna as to where it goes...

Side note: I have the XM Direct kit that you speak of for my truck that is waiting to be installed but I'm thinking about swapping the radio first.

WWasem,

Apuntsel was talking about the Nav antenna, not the XM.

Apuntsel and I both got our units from a guy in Michigan. he can be reached at tauk@aol.com. $575 including shipping for the whole deal.

WWasem,

Apuntsel was talking about the Nav antenna, not the XM.

Apuntsel and I both got our units from a guy in Michigan. he can be reached at tauk@aol.com. $575 including shipping for the whole deal.

I was talking about the GPS antenna, I apologize for not being more clear, I edited my post.

I will definitely get in touch with him today! Thank you for the contact info!!

I was charged a little more ... $599 plus shipping, but considering some other people on ebay were selling them for around $1600, can't complain at all. Shipping was very quick, box was about 11 pounds and packed very well.

I was going to get the FD5 XM kit from SPL Electronics (Stereos on the Go) which I think on ebay is oemradios but they are now out of stock and he advised me that Terk had stopped making the XM receiver that worked with Axxess interface. He said that Terk has a new receiver, but it doesn't work with the FD5 harness. :(

I was playing around with the system today, did a speaker walk around test and I did not get any sound out of the rear left and right door speakers. Any idea if this would be an issue with the NAV radio/connectors or somewhere else? Thanks in advance.

...did a speaker walk around test and I did not get any sound out of the rear left and right door speakers. Any idea if this would be an issue with the NAV radio/connectors or somewhere else? Thanks in advance.

Strange... I would assume that if a connector were loose that you would have more problems then missing the rear channels... Anyone else have any ideas?

I am embarrassed to say that the problem was with the balance/fade. It was not set for the rear speakers. :rolleyes:

Strange... I would assume that if a connector were loose that you would have more problems then missing the rear channels... Anyone else have any ideas?

Does ANYONE know how or if you can disable that silly "Agree/disagree" screen that appears EVERYTIME you restart the car on the MAP??

Does ANYONE know how or if you can disable that silly "Agree/disagree" screen that appears EVERYTIME you restart the car on the MAP??

heck, I'd put up with that if it would let you enter a new address while in motion. I would never try to do it as the driver...but it keeps my passenger from being able to input an address until we are dead stop....really annoying if you are on the hwy. Would think any liability would be covered by the accept/disagree screen.

Hey are you guys sure that the FD-XMFD5 works with the OEM Navigation? All the sites I see have a note that says "will not work with Factory Navigation system". Does anyone have this working? If so, I'm getting one today!

Hey are you guys sure that the FD-XMFD5 works with the OEM Navigation? All the sites I see have a note that says "will not work with Factory Navigation system". Does anyone have this working? If so, I'm getting one today!

It looks as though the official list from Terk:
http://www.audiovox.com/downloads/OEMCompatibilityList.pdf

...states that it does not work with the navigation radio.... :thumbdwn: Which I don't quite understand why because the nav radio has the ability for the Ford Sirius as well... Why can't Ford just release an XM unit that works with their radios???!!! :confused::mad:

On the up-side... I went ahead an ordered the Nav unit for my truck and I'm quite anxious to receive it and install! Anyone have pictures where they installed the GPS antenna?

WWasem, when you get the nav unit are you going to try to hook up the XMFD5? If it works let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did get the FD-XMFD5 kit from myradiostore.com ... i did hook it up and see the tabs for SR1, SR2 and SR3. I also was able to receive the XM preview channel, but I did not see any of the station information being displayed on the nav screen at the that time (didn't really get that far to troubleshoot that). The big ssue that I had was that i could not get the radio to fit back into the opening because of the bulky harness that was needed for the XM kit. I tried for hours and eventually gave up in trying to get everything to fit, so for now I do not have the XM kit connected. The place has a 30 day no hassle return policy, so I might try a place like Best Buy to see if they have a solution to get it to fit in there, otherwise i'll probably return the kit, unless someone here has been able to get it installed and working.

Back