• Register Today It's free!

Headlight worries

Reaction score
City, State
BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer OHV
Hello guys

I know there are lot's of post's on here about headlight's I wanted to be specific. I believe I have auto lamps when I turn the truck on DRL come on I believe those are auto lamps not sure. I turn the switch on the dash and nothing happens except the side orange lights on the headlights come on and the dash lights illuminate. I have no low beams or high beams except when I use the flash to pass. Once in a while the high beam light will faintly come on when I try and put the high beams on. When I click the high beams off with the multi-functional switch the high beams briefly click on for a half second. I have three things I am thinking of DRL module, Dashboard switch, or multi functional switch. Any help muchly appreciated.
vancouver island is online now Report Post Boss Key

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

multifunction swith. if u take it apart u will find an arm that pivots with contacts that over time will burn and wont make a good connection u can sand them and it might last another year. i had to do this on my old ranger. finally i bought a floor mounted switch and spliced the wires. still had ftp lights and dimmer switch on the floor. i wonder why they quit puttin them in the floor. i like it a lot better.

Thanks I figured it would be either the dash switch or the multifunction shift do you know if most models are compatible. There is a 98 same year as mine only has a 5.0l all wheel drive in it.

no i dont but i wouldnt be afraid to say any ex(or ranger) with airbags up to 01 would be the same but not 100% on that. ive never seen one without intermittent wipers, and that would be the only differance i could think of.

Thanks I figured it would be either the dash switch or the multifunction shift do you know if most models are compatible. There is a 98 same year as mine only has a 5.0l all wheel drive in it.

Agree that MFS should be your first choice to replace. Should be able to use one from pretty much any 2nd generation Explorer.

PS Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) and AutoLamp are different. DRLs put a lower level current into your high beam bulbs whenevr the car is running and the regular lights are off. Auto lamps turn the regular lights on and off automatically based on light level at a sensor in the mirror. They also have a delay function that lets you leave the headlights on for up to 3 mins when you shut off the vehicle.

Well I pulled the entire dash apart and looked at the MFS and the dash switch all look good at a glance. I think I will try and replace the MFS first. Not sure though. Everything looks as it should.

Thanks

if u have a test light check for power at the dash switch. should ne dk blue/orange.if u have power there turn switch on check red yellow wire. if no power switch is bad. if there is power check the red/black on mfs in dim pos. then put it on hi check gray/orange both should have power separately. hold ftp both should be hot. im guessing u wont get any thing ont the gray orange wire. if u do then im clueless.

Thanks I will check that out tommorow. hopefully it is one of those. I checked the light bulbs fuses. Can't think of anything else it would be.

Well I checked the dash switch and it had power in all functions. I went to check the multi function switch but started gauging the wire a bit to much so I figure I will just replace the multi function switch not sure what else it could be. What do you guys think about this.

Thanks for everyone's input and all the old posts. I went to the junkyard today and got a MFS and put it in my headlights worked but then the blinkers did not work. I then took it apart and using some sand paper cleaned up all the hardware inside put it back on and it works like new. That would be my suggestion to everyone try cleaning these things first very easy to do.

Thanks to everyone.

Well just as I thought I had fixed the problem. The drivers side headlight was burnt out so I went and put a bulb in and know my wipers will not turn off. I suppose this is the MFS. Any ideas getting frustrated.

could also be a stuck relay but probably not i think theres a separate relay for up and down. i know there is for the back not sure about the front. i dont have any of my books handy or my x for that matter. if u still have ur old mfs u could clean the headlight contact on it and try it out to see if that fixes ur wiper problem.

Well the MFS that I put in did not work that well so I took it apart and used some soft sand paper and cleaned it all up put it back in and it worked good except the drivers side headlight was out so changed the headlight just an hour ago and as soon as I turned the key to check the head light the wipers would not turn off

ok just went out and took the MFS off again cleaned it one more time and added dielectric grease which I forgot last time. Everything works fine other then the window wipers will not turn off seems as though they have a mind of there own the switch will make it go full speed and low but not intermitide also it speeds up and down on it's own. I am sure I hear a relay clicking on the drivers side under the hood. Not sure if this is the problem as it clicks then stops then starts. I am really stumped.

ok another update hope this rings a bell with someone. after cleaning the MFS again same thing everything works fine except no interminted wiper control and it does not turn off. I pulled the run park relay and the wipers did not work at all. I then pulled the high/low relay and nothing seemed to change. So I am thinking this could be it. last night it sounded as though it was clicking a bit. But that goes and comes. I am wondering if there is anygrounds that would affect this and were I could find them. I am getting frustrated know. HELP PLEASE

I have not taken a MFS apart yet. However from the wiring diagrams I can see that the wiper speed and wiper interval are controlled by a potentiometer. I'm not sure how the rotating switch is connected to the potentiometer. It sounds like the resistive film which makes that up is worn down. It is odd that this happened to two MFS's that you tried, but since the second was a junkyard switch I wouldn't be surprised.

There is a second common issue with the MFS. The plastic connector which holds the disconnects on the ends of the wires comes loose and allows the disconnects to work their way loose. I would take a close look at that connector and check the wires that go into it for looseness.

Can you specify what you mean by "not turn off". Do you mean with the key out of the ignition and the car off the wipers are still running?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah sorry with the key off it does not run but the wipers just stay were they are. as soon as you turn the key so power is on they start. I just went out and tried turning them on. The wipers worked good for one min with all functions working as they should, Then they started doing the same old thing. So I assume the relay and fuses are good the MFS was cleaned very well. Even when they were working well they would not seat well at all.

Back