Headlight worries | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight worries

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it stays on when the rotating switch is in the off position. most of the time the intermitend wipers do not work the odd time they have. Even when the intervals don't work the high setting does I have to turn the key off to get them to stop. But as I stated when I just went out their everything worked fine for about one min. Then back to the crazynes. lots of posts for windshield wipers with the interval problem but not for them not stopping and returning to were they should.

I think that the resistive film which makes up the rotating switch is worn down. I don't know if you can pop the end of the stalk off and refurbish it or not. Since you have two MFS's now do you want to be a guinea pig and try? Other than that I'd say your best bet it is a completely new MFS.

ok as a fellow canadian, im telling you its teh driving light module, most explorers in the states do not have driving light module`s , there for not as much info. on eahc explorer iv had this has been the problem. The mfs switch i would try second because its about 100 dollar part versus the drl module for 40

DRL is often a source of headlight problems for non domestic members. That does not explain the wiper functions which the DRL do not control. RockAuto.com lists MFS for around $50.

the mfs switch is only about 45

yea i never read about the wiper problem, thats an issue with the MFS switch forsure

Do you think that could be the problem evan after cleaning it up really good. I guess it would not hurt just hate throwing money around.

sorry if i missed it but have u put the old one on to see if your wipers worked right. i know i asked but i never saw where u answered.

The switch worked fine for days and never had I had an issue with the wipers. I changed my headlight bulb and that is when it started. I don't think this could be related. I guess I can try another multi function switch. So frustrating. Thanks for the reply's so far.

You have been cleaning most of the contacts inside the MFS, but not the part where the rotating switch is. Since you have nothing to loose... why not try popping off the rotating switch (cap on the end of the lever). And see if there's anything there that can be refurbished?

I guess that is the next thing to do you know how that is done do I just pull the end piece off. or is there a small cap at the end that you pop off.

I have no idea. I would think it just pulls straight off. There's a good chance that doing that will break it. The only reason I'm recommending it is you tried everything else short of buying a new MFS.

yes I know I have one other thought and that is the GEM but don't really want to go there. I have heard the last time I ran out and checked like a clicking or so sound coming from behind the ashtray when I use the dimmer switch that you roll up and down for your counsel lights. This sound does not happen when I use my blinkers. Man oh Man I guess One thing at a time start all over fixed one problem know another.

Just in case are gem modules vehicle specific or are they compatible from most similiar year vehicles.

one other thing also what would it mean when the relays are clicking. Thank You

GEM modules are year and model specific if I recall. You have to get one for the exact same model and year.

Relays are supposed to click when they are activated. That's the sound of their internal switch moving.

Well I am going to redo my old switch and try that see if it makes the switch work then if it corrects the wipers I know what to do. If not I don't have a clue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the MFS from 95-97 are NOT the same functionally as the 98. From experience I made that mistake, they look identical, but things like th emergency flasher will operate the windshield washer and the wipers won't turn off. 98-00 will function correctly and there is a good chance that some later years will work as well.

Back