• Register Today It's free!

head lights

our96ford

Reaction score
City, State
WA. STATE
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EXPLOYER
HI,Heres my problems a 97 explorer when it comes to the headlights.
I replaced both headlight bulbs,now when turn on lights this what i am getting
On low beam i have drivers side light up,but no passenger light,go to high beam both lights come on.
Checked plug end on the passenger side with test light and when high beam is turned on i have power to the high beam side of the plug,but when i turn on low i show no power with the test light as it does not light up.
My thinking is the multi switch is possibly is bad does this sound reasonable all
the other lights on vehicle work,thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before replacing the MFS, I'd follow the offending wire back and see where you're losing power. You can do this with an inexpensive VOM (or even a test light) and a straight pin. Here's a link for free wiring diagrams.

http://search.ebscohost.com. Use RRCC and rebsco when signing in

Did you replace the bulbs due to the passenger side low not working, or did it work right before you replaced the bulbs? If it worked right before you replaced the bulbs then I would suspect a frayed wire broke near the bulb connector while manipulating it cold to change the bulbs.

HI,We found out the low beam on the passenger side was not working thats when we also found both lights had the clips that hold the light in place were also broken,also we
tried wiggling the wires to see if that would get the light to come on and that did not give any indication of broken or frayed wires.

Do you have a message center in the center console? The lamp out module on Explorers equipped as such can cause one of the headlights to not come on, more commonly the driver's side.

HI,I fixed this problem i gave explorer back to owner.

Hey, nice job!

The headlights on our trucks are fused. The right headlight and fog lights are on the same fuse. Are the foglights coming on at all? Check fuse number 8 on the interior fuse panel. Or just give the truck back. Its all relative.

The headlights on our trucks are fused. The right headlight and fog lights are on the same fuse. Are the foglights coming on at all? Check fuse number 8 on the interior fuse panel. Or just give the truck back. Its all relative.

I have a problem with my 99 xlt. No headlights at all. Fuse 4 & 8 are good. I can pull back on the turn signal arm and light up the hi beams. I can also push the fog lamp button and both come on without holding the arm. I do not have a message center in my ride. I was searching for the lamp out module but can not find one under the center console that I had seen on a youtube video.

Any idea guys?

Much Thanks

Back