MFT Killed Fords Quality... Ford ranks #23 in JD Powers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Killed Fords Quality... Ford ranks #23 in JD Powers

donm527

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
http://www.cnbc.com//id/43511239

Ford the first time since Ford CEO Alan Mulally took charge of the automaker, its initial quality scores have fallen below the industry average.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is why I canceled my order and have no regrets about the decision.

I maintain that there was insufficient testing on the system or it would never have been released.

I'm very hopeful and expect that Ford will correct the deficiencies in the system and I will revisit buying one in the future.

I like my Ex more everyday where the most advanced electronic gadget is the homelink in the visor. I like my hardwired in Garmin, I don't need it in the dash.

When we order either our Ex or Edge next spring, it will not have the MFT system. I don't want the extra technology, or the hassles. To me, the issues don't justify the 'cool' factor. Is it really that hard to turn a temperature knob, or push a button to change a station? I'd have to push one on the wheel anyway.

I have a factory nav in my Camry, and I can't finish typing something if the light turns green. Can't bypass it. Pisses me off.

Give me normal controls, that's one of the reasons that the original Ex was so great- it was small, compact, yet large inside. It had simple yet functional appointments inside.

This, as a shareholder, is very disturbing news.

and probably a few that complained about the ugly carpet seam under driver/passenger seats ;)

This is why I canceled my order and have no regrets about the decision.

I maintain that there was insufficient testing on the system or it would never have been released.

I'm very hopeful and expect that Ford will correct the deficiencies in the system and I will revisit buying one in the future.

http://www.cnbc.com//id/43511239

Ford the first time since Ford CEO Alan Mulally took charge of the automaker, its initial quality scores have fallen below the industry average.
Does Lincoln not use the same software (called MyLincoln Touch)? The same user supplement is used for both Ford and Lincoln yet Lincoln finished in 17th spot. Still not great!

Lincoln doesn't deal with the wind noise... :D

I was honest with my survey I filled out. MFT was one of several issues related to build quality that I was a bit dissapointed with given all the hipe around the prerelease of the vehicle. Still believe it was rushed out to soon and Ford underestimated production demands to put sufficient quality steps in checking the vehicle out before shipping to customers. In the end the bottom line won out over quality and as expected what brought Ford to the top (the consumers) have made their voices known. Overall the Ex is a great vehicle with alot of potential.

I like my Ex more everyday where the most advanced electronic gadget is the homelink in the visor. I like my hardwired in Garmin, I don't need it in the dash.

When we order either our Ex or Edge next spring, it will not have the MFT system. I don't want the extra technology, or the hassles. To me, the issues don't justify the 'cool' factor. Is it really that hard to turn a temperature knob, or push a button to change a station? I'd have to push one on the wheel anyway.

Give me normal controls, that's one of the reasons that the original Ex was so great- it was small, compact, yet large inside. It had simple yet functional appointments inside.

Amen. It's much easier to turn a knob or push a button than to navigate through all that BS. I can reach over with out taking my eyes off the road to adjust the fan, heat & A/C.

Ford responded to consumers by adding all the "techy" items in there vehicles. Yes, the bugs, glitches, hiccups, brain farts exsist. You want a vehicle that offers plain jane amenities, bury your nose in the classic section of the car ads and find yourself that gorgeous 1972 Bronco with the basic push-pull buttons and window cranks. Do you ever question the technology of a commercial airplane when you board? How 'bout that computer that leads you to this site? It just amazes me how people are quick to pull the plug on something when it doesn't work as expected right off the get go. I can relate, I also have a $47,000 bucket of wires in my garage. I've owned many items that have had growing pains in the past and I forsee it happing in the future. The manufacturer builds what we ask for, and for doing so, we either pat the engineers on the back, or burn them at the stake. Here's my take on the quirps of a new vehicle, as long as it's not life threatning, give the damn thing a chance for the manufacturer to get it right, that's why there's consumer advocates to raise the eyebrows of the producers who build the products we buy.

Ford responded to consumers by adding all the "techy" items in there vehicles. Yes, the bugs, glitches, hiccups, brain farts exsist. You want a vehicle that offers plain jane amenities, bury your nose in the classic section of the car ads and find yourself that gorgeous 1972 Bronco with the basic push-pull buttons and window cranks. Do you ever question the technology of a commercial airplane when you board? How 'bout that computer that leads you to this site? It just amazes me how people are quick to pull the plug on something when it doesn't work as expected right off the get go. I can relate, I also have a $47,000 bucket of wires in my garage. I've owned many items that have had growing pains in the past and I forsee it happing in the future. The manufacturer builds what we ask for, and for doing so, we either pat the engineers on the back, or burn them at the stake. Here's my take on the quirps of a new vehicle, as long as it's not life threatning, give the damn thing a chance for the manufacturer to get it right, that's why there's consumer advocates to raise the eyebrows of the producers of the products we buy.

I understand what your saying and agree largely, however, it's not fair, especially to people leasing, that they have to deal with such major issues. I say especially those leasing because every month is a wasted month where if you purchased your Explorer, you will probably have it for years and they will fix the issues in the next few months.

I would have a different perspective if I was one who was having major issues with my system but at this point, I could not imaging driving a vehicle without the MFT interface. Just a beautiful looking and fun system to use.

There is zero wrong with wanting something simpler. Taking the argument to crank windows and the other end of the spectrum is ridiculous. That wasn't the point. I still have most of the same tech available, I just push buttons to get to it. There is a huge difference in not constantly questioning technology that has been around and working for a long time, like a computer or a plane, and a new technology that is incredibly buggy, like MFT. That's not even a reasonable comparison. Hell- I'm running Windows Vista, so I'm not a complete puss. :)

I took a s**tload of flack for telling everyone what you just chastised me over, about waiting for Ford to make it right. And I've watched. And waited. And watched some more. And waited again. ...and finally postoponed my purchase until next spring so I can make in my mind- a purchase I'm comfortable with, because $45,000 is a crapload of money for a car.

lmf- thank your son for us- his service allows us to have these discussions in the first place. :salute:

Ford responded to consumers by adding all the "techy" items in there vehicles. Yes, the bugs, glitches, hiccups, brain farts exsist. You want a vehicle that offers plain jane amenities, bury your nose in the classic section of the car ads and find yourself that gorgeous 1972 Bronco with the basic push-pull buttons and window cranks. Do you ever question the technology of a commercial airplane when you board? How 'bout that computer that leads you to this site? It just amazes me how people are quick to pull the plug on something when it doesn't work as expected right off the get go. I can relate, I also have a $47,000 bucket of wires in my garage. I've owned many items that have had growing pains in the past and I forsee it happing in the future. The manufacturer builds what we ask for, and for doing so, we either pat the engineers on the back, or burn them at the stake. Here's my take on the quirps of a new vehicle, as long as it's not life threatning, give the damn thing a chance for the manufacturer to get it right, that's why there's consumer advocates to raise the eyebrows of the producers of the products we buy.

I see your point but don't agree. What support has Ford shown other than a few very hard working folks (Corey) manning the message boards? Has Ford released some statement addressing the issues and promised to correct them? I don't think so. As I read posts on FB people are being told that they only get one free update to their MFT. Seriously? How is that right when there are so many problems?

I know only a portion of owners post on this board and FB so it's not fair to say the majority are having issues but when CR slams you then you had better wake up.

I ordered my 11 back in Dec and changed that order to a 12 model due to another deployment. I want this car and so does the family but I'm not spending my money on something that has so many issues.

Ford.....are you there?

I was just thinking about customer surveys last night- and how I would respond to one for my paid-off '11 Explorer. If I think I'll be selling it within 2 years (a real possibility if they can't fix the tech issues) then I don't want to slam them for it and hurt my resale. If I think they'll fix the issues with tech, rain noise, etc., then I will keep it longer and should be completely open and honest in the survey in hopes that it will motivate Ford to make everything right.

With that big drop in JD Powers, you can rest assured things will be hot at Ford for awhile. My guess is that the supplier and/or designer for the APIM is going to really be feeling it, as that one component seems to be replaced WAY to often.

Living in the Detroit area, I know lots of Ford employees. One was just telling me that the Explorer MFT was not ready for release but the factories were going to idled by the delay in MFT development. They elected to begin manufacturing with what they had. Now the downside to that decision. The big question will be, "Was it worth it? Did we make more selling those vehicles and keeping factories running than we will lose because of a drop in satisfaction surveys?" I don't know that anyone outside of Ford will ever know the answer to that decision- but I bet it was a long discussion with a few hairs turning gray.

working in the computer hardware industry, have seen this time and time again.

Look at Microsoft, how many times have they released an operating system, that is not ready for prime time.

The reason being is that thier competition has a similar product that is about to release, and they do not want to miss their opportunity.
It usually gets fixed with a massive update..ie service packs, (firmware updates for hardware) etc, and everything gets stable.

Same issue here.
With Ford's competition, it sounds like they wanted to push this out the door as soon as they could.
IMHO, it will be an update or recall that resolves alot of the MFT issues.
We are the early adopters, beta testers if you will.
If you think about it, the 2011 Explorer does have some bleeding edge technology.

I for one, despite the MFT and Sync problems still think the 2011 Ex is one hell of a vehicle. Maybe because I drove a Saturn Vue, the road noise is negligent as for the rain noise on the roof, its good for a laugh like my wife did when she heard the sound. The interior is well made and extremely comfortable. I really don't worry about carpet seams under the seats, who really does. Good power, response and milage for its size make this an excellent vehicle. And it parks itself, what more do you want. As for MFT this reminds me of when I first bought a computer and had to learn commands in Basic which had to be typed exactly. Basic was upgraded to NT then to Windows. I expect in the near future that Ford will have a download we can do ourselves to upgrade the system. And Ford did not take the Bush/Obama taxpayer handouts which makes them #1 in my mind.

I was really excited for the Explorer and it was a very tough decision to cancel my order after waiting for months.

It was just clear from the comments online that the problems were frequent and more than nominal. I recognize that the internet can be a central location for people to post every possible thing they find wrong and the people who do not have problems tend to not show up to express how they are happy.

However, I visit a lot of forums for a lot of vehicles and there is no question that the launch issues for the Explorer were way more than normal. The survey results back that up.

I was planning to buy the Explorer, but instead, I leased another brand. Hopefully, when my lease is up, Ford will have corrected all the issues and I will check it out again. I really wanted to own a Ford this time around.

I understand what your saying and agree largely, however, it's not fair, especially to people leasing, that they have to deal with such major issues. I say especially those leasing because every month is a wasted month where if you purchased your Explorer, you will probably have it for years and they will fix the issues in the next few months.

I would have a different perspective if I was one who was having major issues with my system but at this point, I could not imaging driving a vehicle without the MFT interface. Just a beautiful looking and fun system to use.

Valid point. Guess I never looked at it that way since I never lease. There should be reimbursment on products that have to be brought in multiple times for repairs especially if it's being brought into the shop for the same damn thing all the time. When I made the statement of having purchased items with "growing" pains in my previous post, in my case,it was always fixed the first time when I had to bring something back.

Joe Dirt, and to everybody else on here that shows there support for our troops, thank you! My son's company has been battered in the last few weeks, but he assures me they're winning the battle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I for one, despite the MFT and Sync problems still think the 2011 Ex is one hell of a vehicle. Maybe because I drove a Saturn Vue, the road noise is negligent as for the rain noise on the roof, its good for a laugh like my wife did when she heard the sound. The interior is well made and extremely comfortable. I really don't worry about carpet seams under the seats, who really does. Good power, response and milage for its size make this an excellent vehicle. And it parks itself, what more do you want. As for MFT this reminds me of when I first bought a computer and had to learn commands in Basic which had to be typed exactly. Basic was upgraded to NT then to Windows. I expect in the near future that Ford will have a download we can do ourselves to upgrade the system. And Ford did not take the Bush/Obama taxpayer handouts which makes them #1 in my mind.

There is a bit of a learning curve.
For me, I am really happy with it. It is one hell of a vehicle.

Using Windows, Linux, and MacOSX for years....not to mention building gaming rigs...really enjoy jumping into new technology.

Back