sumzxr7

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT - Magnetic
This was email that was emailed to Ford Customer Service:

To whom it may concern,

As a loyal Ford customer I look forward to seeing your vision for Ford of Canada taking the organization in the right direction moving forward based on your statements below.

“As the market leader, the competition is very eager to come after us,” the President and CEO of Ford Canada says. “I think that, what we have to do is — we have great product — but we want to build and have the reputation as having the best consumer experience in the industry.

“Great product is important, obviously, but at the end of the day, we have to have a really strong consumer experience. We want people to love Ford and Lincoln. Love us, and be our advocates.”

“When you really get to the heart of it, the One Ford plan is all about listening to customers. It’s about understanding what customers want and value, then delivering the product. So when you think of it, safety is important, quality is important, fuel economy is important – obviously smart technology and great-looking vehicles are important. That’s what you have to deliver, and you have to deliver it year-in-year-out.

Source:
http://driving.ca/ford/auto-news/news/women-at-the-wheel-ford-ceo-has-plenty-to-smile-about

http://www.autos.ca/auto-brands/interview-five-minutes-ford-canada-ceo-dianne-craig/

With that being said, the reason I am emailing you is because as a loyal Ford Customer (I have owned 6 in the past) and current owner of a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT (VIN: ) purchased from __________ in Toronto that has over the course of the past 2 years been a constant source of frustration due to numerous Water Leak issues in 3 different areas (panoramic roof, roof rack and cargo door hinge area that took 4 different visits to the dealer to address along with and other mechanical maladies.

The first leak was by the 3rd row roof rack area, the 2nd leak was from the Panoramic Roof area and the 3rd was by the rear hinge area.

The 3rd row leak issue is a well documented issue dating back to 2011 when the Explorer was first re-designed. The issue still affects the 2011-2013 models and some 2014. I believe this is a design defect that I feel has still not been addressed due to similar problems many others have had.

Water Leak Issue:
Over 80 unique users have had this issue dating back to 2011 when the Explorer was first re-designed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327803

Youtube Video:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327803

Before emailing you I made sure I went through all normal escalation channels including Ford Customer Service, the Dealer, then CAMVAP (the Canadian Lemon Law) and now yourself as I am left with no other options to escalate my issue.

I have throughout all of this been calm, cool and collected and have been very patient as my Explorer was at the dealership for the 5 weeks while I waited for the Panoramic Roof (on back order) to be installed. If I had lived in the U.S I am 100% the Explorer would have qualified for the Lemon as it has been at the dealership for over 30 days and took over 3 tries to fix (2 main criteria to qualify for the U.S Lemon Law). The water leak issues is one of many other maladies within a 24 month time period.

The following is a summary of the all of the issues I have had with the car

• New Power Window motors installed
• New driver’s side door sills installed
• New Rear passenger side door sills installed
• New Leather seat cover due to stitching coming apart
• Water Leak Issue #1
• Water Leak Issue # 2
• Water Leak Issue # 3
• New Power Sunroof Motor
• New Throttle body
• New Panoramic Roof installed due to water leak
• New multi function switch - as the wipers would stop working and then work after 10 seconds (even after this fix I still have the same issue)
• The drivers and passenger front doors had to be aligned as it was rubbing up against the rocker area causing the paint to rub off.

What do I want to come out of this? . Even with all of these issues I am willing to get into another Ford BUT at what cost? Is it fair for me to trade in my Explorer an SUV that I had planned on keeping for 10 years ONLY after 2 years to take a considerable hit with my trade in value? It’s unfortunate as I never anticipated this happening and planned on keeping my Explorer (my first new car) for 10 years or so. I was happy with the service I received with the dealer and even made friends with the staff there considering I was there all the time.

Keep in mind EVERY panel in my Explorer with the exception of the two rear door panels and my dash was removed multiple times to fix the leak and or power window motor issues. I now have rattles that I know I would have never had if panels never had to be removed.

If I was willing to get into a new 2016 Ford Explorer or a 2014 Ford Edge Sport (two Ford products) I am considering – what is Ford willing to do for me? - what is my incentive to buy another Ford Product?

I also want Ford to look seriously into the Leak Issue as there is a lack of sealant being applied within the manufacturing process.

In addition, part of the delay with getting my Explorer back is to due parts always on back order as every part that was ordered to fix my warranty items were always on back order. I can understand for a small part here, there but this was with my Panoramic Roof and my Door Sills. This to me should not be happening and adversely affects customer relations and will surely not add to building a reputation as having the best consumer experience in the industry. This cannot happen if the Explorer leaks water and if parts regardless of car are always on back order.

I am hoping this request could be accommodated and I appreciate you taking the time to read this email.

If your team has any additional questions feel free to reach out to via the details below (for additional information and or pictures to support my case)

With Regards,

This was the response I got back:

Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada’s Customer Relationship Centre, my name is ******. I have reviewed your email regarding the concerns on your 2013 Explorer XLT . I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

We thank you for taking the time to let us know about your frustration with Explorer. We pride ourselves on becoming the world's leading consumer company for automotive products and the satisfaction of our customers is one of our highest priorities.

Your feedback is highly valued by all divisions within Ford of Canada and serves to provide us with insight into areas where we may need improvement. When customers like yourself send us constructive comments, you help reinforce our efforts to build the finest automotive products in the industry.

We appreciate your concerns and have documented your comments.

Ford of Canada does not have a buyback program. You will need to work with your local dealer regarding trading the vehicle.

Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada.

Sincerely,
Customer Relationship

My response details:
I then emailed Customer Support again - stating that I never asked them to buy back the vehicle - and only asked what incentive I have to buy another one?

I don't think this something the dealer should have to deal with. Its not their fault the CUV had so many issues. Its principle for me....

I even sent 20 images of the Explorer torn apart via Priority mail - images that showed how much sealant had to be applied to fix the leaks.

I sent the images last week on Monday - and they did recieve it and I got back zero in terms of a response.

I ask - after all of this would you still buy another Ford? based on principle alone? trust me I am as loyal as they come. 7 Fords, a garage full of Ford memorabila and countless books in my home office about the history of Ford, the Mustang, etc....books I have read from front to back..I grew up around Fords and its a shame that I don't get any response back other than an automated one that is sent out to every one that contacts them.

By this April I need to make a decision and sadly I am leaning towards cutting my losees and just going with another brand - as I dont expect any response back from Ford.

Its all lip service...all talk NO action.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not a defence of Ford, but curious to know what other brand do you think would have treated you differently?i

Welcome to the (Ford) "Lip Service" club. Well, at least they are consistent and haven't changed in the last 25 years.

I grew up in a Ford only household. My Dad and Grandfather only drove Fords. After buying a used 1966 Mustang as my first car and driving the wheels off it through college, I purchased my first new car, a 1990 Ford SHO and then reluctantly took a leap of Ford faith and purchased another; a new 2000 Mercury Mountainer 11 years later. What can I say? Old habits are hard to break. I've gotten over the lip service Ford stealerships employ to remain profitable so as to defend their inferior designed and constructed products. I could fill countless pages with my tribulations of Ford stealership visits on just these two vehicles but I won't bore you. I won't buy another.

While I loved the SHO and the Mountaineer has been okay, I can't say that I've ever had a satisfying experience at multiple Ford stealerships (I've moved around a lot for my career). I always walk away thinking "no wonder imports have taken over." I was most satisfied when I didn't have to take it to a stealership after the warranty period ran out. From your experience, it seems nothing has changed.

I recently replaced the Mountaineer as my family's primary vehicle. As you might expect, I did a lot of research and we test drove several mid-size SUVs including a 2014 Explorer and 2014 Lincoln MQT. As much as I'd like to see US auto manufacturers, (including Ford) make a comeback, I reflected back on the almost unbelievably incompetent and or unprofessional Ford dealer and Ford Customer Service experiences I'd had, I just couldn't do it again. They will have to earn their way back from me. I bought a new 2014 Acura MDX.

Good luck with your 2013 Explorer. However, you choose to resolve it. But, don't set your expectations to high on Ford doing it for you.

Sounds like you have a quality complaint, not a customer service complaint. What exactly were you expecting beyond them correcting the quality issues? Faster service? More coffee and donuts? I understand your frustration but I don't follow what your customer service complaint is since you never explicitly stated it.

I understand your point - all brands have issues and Ford has addressed all of my warranty claims - what irked me the most was the generic response I got back and then Ford telliing me to deal with the dealer.

...a simple response like 'we are looking into this and will get back to you - if we require more detail we will contact you' - is suffice....to me it shows accountability and action...

I understand no manufacturer is perfect..plus this is the first time I have ever logged a complaint with them....ever....Ssmetimes the folks that make the biggest stink on social media get the attention..its not my style to do this. I went through the normal escalation channels only get no worth while action.

Water Leak Issue:
Over 80 unique users have had this issue dating back to 2011 when the Explorer was first re-designed

To the end of Feb. 2015 Ford has sold 800,000 Gen.5 Explorers. The bottom line is our issues with our Explorers are completely irrelevant to Ford.

what irked me the most was the generic response I got back and then Ford telliing me to deal with the dealer.

I think most of us understand your frustration. Unfortunately, you've received your incentive, and it's probably not to purchase another Ford. Your incentive from Ford is to purchase another brand. Your only power, and it's very weak, is to vote with your money.

That said, this is not a unique problem to Ford. The internet is replete with similar experiences from major car manufacturers.

Frankly, I'm always amazed at those who suffer problem after problem with a vehicle, and then turn around.......and buy another one or the same brand expecting it to be different. You bought a '13. That's more than enough time to sort through the problems of the initial runs. Frankly, brand loyalty is a false economy.

I feel fortunate with the '11. At 60K miles, we've suffered no issues other than a mouse chewing through an airbag sensor wire.

It's interesting to me when I read these threads where people claim to have multiple problems that 99.9% of the people are not having. Yes, we all know that there are lemons. And yes, it sucks to get one. But the only points I can see to these threads are:
1. Bashing the company
2. Embellishing to the point that people feel sorry.
3. Getting others to feel your pain.
4. Being bored and trolling the internet.

People always have choices. If you feel so strongly that Ford builds all horrible vehicles, then don't buy another. I left GM in the 80's because they were putting out some truly horrible vehicles. I had 2 serious steering issues and have not bought a GM car since.

Same thing with some Firestone tires I had in the 80's. The fell apart, and I had not been into a Firestone store until I recently purchased a set of Bridgestone tires. Those were my choices.

So, we can't help you. Make a decision to get the car fixed and keep it for the 10 years you planned, or dump it and get into something different.

Welcome to the (Ford) "Lip Service" club. Well, at least they are consistent and haven't changed in the last 25 years.

I grew up in a Ford only household. My Dad and Grandfather only drove Fords. After buying a used 1966 Mustang as my first car and driving the wheels off it through college, I purchased my first new car, a 1990 Ford SHO and then reluctantly took a leap of Ford faith and purchased another; a new 2000 Mercury Mountainer 11 years later. What can I say? Old habits are hard to break. I've gotten over the lip service Ford stealerships employ to remain profitable so as to defend their inferior designed and constructed products. I could fill countless pages with my tribulations of Ford stealership visits on just these two vehicles but I won't bore you. I won't buy another.

While I loved the SHO and the Mountaineer has been okay, I can't say that I've ever had a satisfying experience at multiple Ford stealerships (I've moved around a lot for my career). I always walk away thinking "no wonder imports have taken over." I was most satisfied when I didn't have to take it to a stealership after the warranty period ran out. From your experience, it seems nothing has changed.

I recently replaced the Mountaineer as my family's primary vehicle. As you might expect, I did a lot of research and we test drove several mid-size SUVs including a 2014 Explorer and 2014 Lincoln MQT. As much as I'd like to see US auto manufacturers, (including Ford) make a comeback, I reflected back on the almost unbelievably incompetent and or unprofessional Ford dealer and Ford Customer Service experiences I'd had, I just couldn't do it again. They will have to earn their way back from me. I bought a new 2014 Acura MDX.

Good luck with your 2013 Explorer. However, you choose to resolve it. But, don't set your expectations to high on Ford doing it for you.

Strange coincidence here . . . .

Your story almost matches mine to a T. It was so strange reading your post . . . .

Grandfather - Ford times editor
Father - Dealer marketing

First Car: 1965 Mustang
First new car: 1978 Fiesta
Next new Ford: 1998 Mercury Mountaineer.

I have test driven the new Fords (including Explorer) and I just can't get myself to buy one.

(I also own a Honda CRV, Nissan 350Z, a Chrysler 300c, and a 1978 Ford F150 4X4)

Hi!
I'm new the forums and I am going to be buying a 16 Explorer, but only because my current care (14 Pathfinder) is being repurchased by Nissan. I will tell you this. I have been at this with Nissan since May 2015. I was driving with my 2 small kids (at the time aged 2 and 1 month) and my husband and my transmission stopped shifting. Now while this is a widely known issue with these vehicles I didn't know that when I leased it. My dealership said they couldn't help me anymore and to call Nissan Corp so I did. They took 2 weeks looked at the RO's I had and told me they wouldn't buy back my car as the problem "wasn't serious enough". I flipped. I don't know if Canada has a Lemon Law process, but if so start the proceedings immediately if you can. It was the only way I got through to Nissan. I got a lawyer and she was able to help me out. She called me with an awful offer only 4000$ and keep the car for the remainder of the lease, which I refused. She called me back a few hours after that with the repurchase offer. So, what I'm saying is sometimes its worth it to consult a lawyer that may have different connections. Good luck!

Yeah, really could be worth your time to consult legal advise and could be why Ford isn't replying to you to further limit their exposure.

As to the Nissan above, yeah they've really had issues with that CVT.

I have a 2006 Nissan Murano with 145,000 miles and have never had an issue with the CVT, despite so many problems during those early model years that they actually issued an extended warranty program on it. We were also very diligent doing the fluid changes every 30,000 miles. I have a 2012 Explorer and other than the software problems with MFT, I really haven't had many issues that couldn't be fixed. I do know a coworker that had a '11 Explorer and they had all sorts of problems to the point that they traded it off to get a Durango. The point is that when you make ~100,000 plus copies of something, a 0.1% defect rate means 100 people get bad cars. Sometimes those are truly POS, but the other 99,900 are perfectly fine. This isn't really limited to one brand either as everyone uses the same supplier base.

I appreciate reading everyone's stories and they are helpful to the point of knowing what to look for or knowing what might be causing an issue. But it won't change my opinion of any particular brand. There is no guarantee that the next car you get from brand x or brand y will be any better than if you stick with brand a. My only advice is to find a vehicle you like, that looks good to you, and you are comfortable in. My dad, who was a Ford mechanic for years told me once that he didn't care what we drove, just as long as we were happy with it.

Yeah, really could be worth your time to consult legal advise and could be why Ford isn't replying to you to further limit their exposure.

As to the Nissan above, yeah they've really had issues with that CVT.

Yea I should've done more homework before I leased it but I didn't...but I finally am turning it in at 3pm today and picking up my new Explorer on Saturday. I can't wait. I got it for X plan pricing which was a bonus too.

Back