2003 Mercury Mountaineer Transmission Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Transmission Issues

baker954

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Mtneer Premier AWD V8
I'm getting ready to possibly buy one of these. VERY Sharp ride. Owner says it has:

1. Delayed shift from first to second.
2. Sometimes overdrive light comes on.
3. Sometimes shifter doesn't go into park smoothly.

BUT, the car is always driveable.

4.6L motor. 177k.

So, if I get it, challenge gracefully accepted! It's new project time anyways. :)

I just gotta find out which transmission it has in it from factory. Any ideas (if it hasn't been replaced already with a different model)??

I have the Bluetooth OBD2 scanner with the Torque app on my phone. Will read codes and report back. Wanted to start a thread on my experiences in case it ever helps anyone later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the facts say "owner" says......You need to verify what you can based on your own experience, while test driving.

imp

You betcha I will. I was just looking for information to do some research on.

What transmission should this have in it from the factory?

Well everyone, I got it.

Has the following:

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0304 - Cyl 4 Misfire
P0306 - Cyl 6 Misfire
P0308 - Cly 8 Misfire
P0316 - Have to look it up
P0405 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor "A" Circuit Low
P0406 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor "A" Circuit High

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the dreaded

P0775 - Pressure Control Solenoid "B"

Looks like I'm in for the following:
Tuneup on Tuesday night at home.... Dunno bout transmission. Thoughts?

When driving, without dropping throttle to allow it to shift, it'll shift into second at 4k rpm, stutters/shakes in 4th, and goes into overdrive but then sometimes just comes right back out of overdrive. I do have O/D OFF light flashing, along with Service Engine Soon steady (but I caught it flashing once).

Thoughts? What model transmission should be in here from the factory? I want to know so I can start pricing replacements or rebuilds. 5R55S?

03 Mountaineer 4.6 should be the 5R55W they changed to the "S" in 04 according to my info.

The p0775 code sometimes can be a broken OD servo, problem with the quick fix is that it tends to burn the band. If the servo is broke I would replace it and drive it till the band lets go completely.

ee46dafe-cb2e-4c40-ab87-d10287d3d00c_zpsac5c1fc5.jpg

Thanks for the info and photo!

However, if I find a 5R55S instead of a 5R55W, is it compatible? Would I be better off replacign with a 5R55W, or S?

Thanks for the info and photo!

However, if I find a 5R55S instead of a 5R55W, is it compatible? Would I be better off replacign with a 5R55W, or S?

The rebuild manual lists 5R55W, 5R55S. I take that to mean the internal components are similar, if not alike. There are probably differences in clutch linings, etc., based on application, but if I were to guess I would say you are safe to sub. one for the other. If I'm dead wrong, well, I'm S.O.L.! imp

The rebuild manual lists 5R55W, 5R55S. I take that to mean the internal components are similar, if not alike. There are probably differences in clutch linings, etc., based on application, but if I were to guess I would say you are safe to sub. one for the other. If I'm dead wrong, well, I'm S.O.L.! imp

Thanks IMP!

I downloaded the PDF of the rebuild manual, and looked thru it. It's a foreign language to me, but I'm going to try to figure it out.

Next question is, on the 5R55W/S, does it matter if I find one from a V6 model? I can't find definitive answer on that one either. Iv'e been looking since my error code post earlier.

The two transmissions are just alike except for the overdrive section. The "W" means "Wide Ratio" and the "S" means "Short Ratio".

The Short ratio has a 38 tooth sun gear, 28 tooth planetary gears, and 94 tooth ring gear. The Wide ratio has a 24 tooth sun gear, 25 tooth planetary gears, and 72 tooth ring gear.

If these two units are interchanged you will end up with gear ratio codes.

The two transmissions are just alike except for the overdrive section. The "W" means "Wide Ratio" and the "S" means "Short Ratio".

The Short ratio has a 38 tooth sun gear, 28 tooth planetary gears, and 94 tooth ring gear. The Wide ratio has a 24 tooth sun gear, 25 tooth planetary gears, and 72 tooth ring gear.

If these two units are interchanged you will end up with gear ratio codes.

Glad you took time for this, jk. My rebuild manual says nothing at all about differences between the two. imp

Thanks IMP!

I downloaded the PDF of the rebuild manual, and looked thru it. It's a foreign language to me, but I'm going to try to figure it out.

Next question is, on the 5R55W/S, does it matter if I find one from a V6 model? I can't find definitive answer on that one either. Iv'e been looking since my error code post earlier.

I'm not "up" on recent Ford bolt-ups, but will guess that the bell housing bolt pattern is bigger for V-8 than V6, so, yes, it likely matters. imp

I'm getting ready to possibly buy one of these. VERY Sharp ride. Owner says it has:

1. Delayed shift from first to second.
2. Sometimes overdrive light comes on.
3. Sometimes shifter doesn't go into park smoothly.

BUT, the car is always driveable.

4.6L motor. 177k.

So, if I get it, challenge gracefully accepted! It's new project time anyways. :)

I just gotta find out which transmission it has in it from factory. Any ideas (if it hasn't been replaced already with a different model)??

I have the Bluetooth OBD2 scanner with the Torque app on my phone. Will read codes and report back. Wanted to start a thread on my experiences in case it ever helps anyone later.
I know this thread is over 5+years old but I'm having trouble with my 03 4.0L awd slamming ino 5th gear. I'm not aware of any error codes or other issues at this time. I also have a little over 240k miles on my mountaineer. Thanks Kyle

Back