2017 ordering | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 ordering

That's because they still have all the orders that have been placed from the 3,000+ dealerships up till the cutoff date to build. That doesn't mean Ford has extended the order deadline for the 16MY.
That makes perfect sense. It takes time to schedule and build these 2016 vehicles so Ford can't keep accepting orders right up to the 2017 build. As of now it seems that 8 weeks is the average time from order to delivery. The 2017 production date (June 6th) is just about 10 weeks away. The scheduling for the 2017 orders begins April 14th.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I placed an order for a 16' on Monday, and it was going to be built as a 16' until my dealer called the factory to cancel it.

So, it appears that they are indeed extending the ordering window.
My guess is that dealer stock is very low, and they would rather have late 16' stock through May and June, rather than nothing at all.

Or, there aren't enough orders in the system to keep the assembly plant working at full speed before the 17MY change-over.
Either way, if someone wants a new 16', you can order it today.

I have been wrong many times in my life but I have the Ford ordering system down pretty good.

Ford could have extended it but here are a couple of facts in regards to ordering at the end of the MY window.

1) As I stated earlier, Ford pulls orders every Thursday morning. For your dealer to place an order this past Monday and say it will get built is them talking completely out of their butt. You are talking 3 days before Ford even pulls the order. This is again why the order banks closed on a Wednesday.

2) As a MY approaches the end of its ordering cycle, there are commodity restrictions put in place. Example, they know they only have so many MFT screens left.. they know they have only so many sport suspensions etc. So even if an order was able to be snuck in, there is NO guarantee it will get built until a VIN is assigned. There have been many times an order has gone in but never had a VIN assigned because they couldn't fulfill it with the correct options ordered and then either got canceled or built as the next MY.

Those two things are 100% factual and when one gambles ordering this late, they take a major chance of it not being built. Then you have the dealer playing dumb because all they were trying for was a sale.

So we will see what happens but according to the dealer we just ordered a 2016 Explorer XLT.

I was in negotiations with three different dealers who all stated that they could still place orders for 2016's this week.

I just brought in my trade today as part of our deal.
We again looked to see if the 17' order guides were available today, but they were not.
My dealer is one of the largest Volume Ford dealers in the country, and as of today, they told me that FMC is accepting orders on the 16MY year well into April, and building into May.

Personally, I couldn't care less when they start or stop, just as long as I'm insured that my Explorer is a 17MY build.
I don't want it showing up with MFT.

Also, I was told that there will be changes to options and packages.

Blwnsmoke, consider that things change.
Maybe Ford has an over abundance of parts from the 16MY that can not be used on the 17MY that they need to use up.
Just a thought.

I just brought in my trade today as part of our deal.
We again looked to see if the 17' order guides were available today, but they were not.
My dealer is one of the largest Volume Ford dealers in the country, and as of today, they told me that FMC is accepting orders on the 16MY year well into April, and building into May.

Personally, I couldn't care less when they start or stop, just as long as I'm insured that my Explorer is a 17MY build.
I don't want it showing up with MFT.

Also, I was told that there will be changes to options and packages.

Blwnsmoke, consider that things change.
Maybe Ford has an over abundance of parts from the 16MY that can not be used on the 17MY that they need to use up.
Just a thought.

You are absolutely right in regards to things can change and I stated that earlier that they could have extended if but nothing has been reported that it was extended (that I have access to currently).

All I am saying is that just because a salesman says it can be done doesn't mean it will be accepted or built until you get a VIN.

I just hate to see someone expect one to be told a month from now, oops, it never got pulled to be built. (you obviously don't have to worry about it since you want a 2017).

My connection within Ford has already placed 2017 orders but he has special abilities so that is an exception.

Hopefully it works out for all that just ordered them after the cutoff date that is published.

If the schedule remained intact as per Donlen, my "16'" order would have been held until the 17MY schedule. As I thought about it, I didn't want to take a chance of a 16MY being an instant depreciable year old, and an Apple Car Play away when it landed.

Anyway, I played it safe, cancelled and will reorder next week.

Another question please..
This car is going to my second home. Without asking my dealer, what does a drop ship to another dealer entail?
The dealer has my trade, and I will pay them when we have an invoice, but the car will be used in Naples, Fl.

Maybe save myself a drive?

Thanks.

Just got confirmation from my contact, Ford extended the order banks to April 14th. So anyone who wants a 16 has till April 13th (wednesday) for the order to be pulled on the 14th (Thursday).

So now I question if you can actually order the 17s on 3/28. I can't recall if there was ever a time you could order either MY at the same time. My guess is the 17s have been pushed back as well till the 16s close.

I looked into this when I bought my F350 and was told a couple hundred bucks to the receiving dealer but didn't get an exact figure.

I was cautioned by him to not do it because if the vehicle comes in damaged (it has happened) and the receiving dealer accepts it, then there is a 3 way battle trying to get it fixed. Receiving dealer doesn't want to deal with it because they didn't sell it. Selling dealer doesn't want responsibility because they didn't receive it and you are stuck in the middle.

I decided to fly out, pick it up and drive it home.

Just got confirmation from my contact, Ford extended the order banks to April 14th. So anyone who wants a 16 has till April 13th (wednesday) for the order to be pulled on the 14th (Thursday).

So now I question if you can actually order the 17s on 3/28. I can't recall if there was ever a time you could order either MY at the same time. My guess is the 17s have been pushed back as well till the 16s close.

I looked into this when I bought my F350 and was told a couple hundred bucks to the receiving dealer but didn't get an exact figure.

I was cautioned by him to not do it because if the vehicle comes in damaged (it has happened) and the receiving dealer accepts it, then there is a 3 way battle trying to get it fixed. Receiving dealer doesn't want to deal with it because they didn't sell it. Selling dealer doesn't want responsibility because they didn't receive it and you are stuck in the middle.

Good point..

My local dealer just got a Platinum in stock, which surprised me considering I live in a relatively rural area where high-end models don't sell well. I went in to test drive it and asked the salesman about ordering a 2017. He said their system still shows the '17 order banks opening on Monday (March 28), but that information could be a week old. In any case, he's supposed to call me Monday to let me know if I can order my '17 or if I'll have to wait until the '16 banks close.

Man, that 3.5 EcoBoost blows my Fusion Sport out of the water! Can't wait to have it as my everyday driver.

Just an update.
Still curious, I contacted a Ford dealer that's a few miles from our house down there, Coconut Point Ford of Estero, Fl.
I asked them about the prospect of us drop shipping a 17' Explorer ordered from my local dealership here in Buffalo to their dealership. They told me that they accept about 60-70 new drop ships a year down there from second location home customers like us all over the United States. There is a handling/delivery charge of $250.00.
They will be installing the accessories that are dealer installed for us. Mud flaps, bumper guard and the Explorer Sport letter kit for the hood. I'm sure that will be extra, but I have no problems with that.

So, that saves me the 1,400 mile drive, a crap load of bug splatter, and I'm sure a speeding ticket that I always seem to get.
Hopefully is goes as smooth as it sounds.

Just an update.
Still curious, I contacted a Ford dealer that's a few miles from our house down there, Coconut Point Ford of Estero, Fl.
I asked them about the prospect of us drop shipping a 17' Explorer ordered from my local dealership here in Buffalo to their dealership. They told me that they accept about 60-70 new drop ships a year down there from second location home customers like us all over the United States. There is a handling/delivery charge of $250.00.
They will be installing the accessories that are dealer installed for us. Mud flaps, bumper guard and the Explorer Sport letter kit for the hood. I'm sure that will be extra, but I have no problems with that.

So, that saves me the 1,400 mile drive, a crap load of bug splatter, and I'm sure a speeding ticket that I always seem to get.
Hopefully is goes as smooth as it sounds.
I'd drop that bumper guard and get one that actually covers the lip of the rear bumper. The Ford one does not unless they have changed it. See; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334244&highlight=bumper+guard

Peter

Good tip, thanks Peter.

2017 Timing on Orders/Delivery?

So I've got 98,900 on my 2012 Explorer Limited, it's been a great car. I've been planning to get a new Explorer Sport....just started looking and like to have a new car in May '17, 30 days from now.

What is the timing on 2017 Explorers arriving? I looked through the ordering guide that just came out, but I haven't seen anyone say when new 2017 orders would start arriving. If it's not until late summer I'll probably pull the trigger on a 2016. I built one out on the Ford webpage...I want the Sport grill so the Platinum is out for me...am thinking Silver with black interior- every option I can add pretty much.

Help me out with what the timeframe is on 2017s vis-vis waiting for Sync3 etc....?

My 17' order is in.
Large dealer with lots of allocation.
Dealer says mid August would be a safe guess.

Grills are cheap. If you want a Plat, just change grilles.

So I've got 98,900 on my 2012 Explorer Limited, it's been a great car. I've been planning to get a new Explorer Sport....just started looking and like to have a new car in May '17, 30 days from now.

What is the timing on 2017 Explorers arriving? I looked through the ordering guide that just came out, but I haven't seen anyone say when new 2017 orders would start arriving. If it's not until late summer I'll probably pull the trigger on a 2016. I built one out on the Ford webpage...I want the Sport grill so the Platinum is out for me...am thinking Silver with black interior- every option I can add pretty much.

Help me out with what the timeframe is on 2017s vis-vis waiting for Sync3 etc....?
Most of the info you seek is in this sub forum. Production of the '17 models is slated to start June 6th meaning a likely delivery of sometime in August. You can try ordering a '16 but it may or may not go through as a '16 since production scheduling of the '17s begins in April 14th. Your dealer will be advised if the order will be changed to give you the option of canceling it.

Peter

Can someone tell me how pricing works when ordering a vehicle? I have always bought off the lot but want a 2017 Platinum as soon as possible. I have been talking to my local dealership and they are quoting me MSRP. When the vehicle arrives we can take advantage of any rebates offered at that time. Is that typical? When we had discussed ordering a 2016 they had mentioned pricing closer to invoice PLUS the rebates of 0% financing.

Can someone tell me how pricing works when ordering a vehicle? I have always bought off the lot but want a 2017 Platinum as soon as possible. I have been talking to my local dealership and they are quoting me MSRP. When the vehicle arrives we can take advantage of any rebates offered at that time. Is that typical? When we had discussed ordering a 2016 they had mentioned pricing closer to invoice PLUS the rebates of 0% financing.

Truecar.com is a good reference for pricing.

You should never pay MSRP, there many people here on this forum who have dealer contacts that will get you much closer to invoice pricing.

Even by building the vehicle at www.ford.com and then filling out a quote request will get you several dealerships trying to get your business.

Please dont pay MSRP thats the worst scenario.

I guess my approach is a little different. The one single thing to remember is that the buyer holds the cards and being "ready to buy" does the talking.
I won't pay more than $500.00 under invoice. If a trade is involved, find local auction comps and that's the wholesale trade price to use with your offer.
Do your homework and know the wholesale price of your trade.

Remember, the open checkbook on the salesmans desk is THE most powerful and pressurizing tool, and it seems the tool that no one uses when buying a car. That gesture gives you the leverage, and shifts all pressure to the dealer. You are the boss and dictate the deal.
I think any dealer would be hard pressed to refuse an instant sale, and especially a gift like an order. I know I've never been turned away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for your responses. That is what I was thinking but having never ordered before I didn't know if it was a different animal. We are going to talk to them this week. I have tried build and price on Ford but can't build a 2017 yet. So don't know how to play that game.

Back