• Register Today It's free!

The four hour oil change

Tobashadow

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Callsign
K4TJL
Bought a 02 sport trac in February, today I went to do the oil change on it.

First off it's the factory 02 motor I verified the VIN on it.

Bought the filter and oil, Motorcraft FL-820S, got home and went to take off the oil plug and it looked like it had been chewed up by hungry dogs. Thank you Valvoline oil change center the last owner used. Half hour later it's off and trip number two to parts store for new plug happens.

Pulled the filter and it's a Valvoline V0-88, umm one of these things is not like the other.

Smaller OD and larger thread size then the FL-820S

Trip number three begins

Back to Advance which ended with a cussing to a moron at the counter that swore he worked at Ford for 15 years in the Service department and they only made one 4.0L V6 and the 2002 Explorer is the same as a Sport Trac, and the only difference is the Sport Trac is a two door version of the Explorer. And no he wasn't referencing the Sport he flat out told me the Sport Trac was a two door 2002 Explorer with the same engine and body. Result - Wrong filter number # 2

Trip Number four

Finally with the help of a smart person at Oreilly's we found a Wix filter 57060 that cross ref with the Valvoline filter and screwed right on and fit perfectly. I was thinking maybe the center threads were changed but even the filter base is too small for a FL-820S.

Suffice to say the box flap is in the owners manual now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't think about it till now but the truck came setup with a full trailer setup including trailer brake controller. I wonder if there is a adapter plate for a oil cooler installed.

Likely. Only 2001 Job 1 ST engines built before 6/24/2000 used the SMALLER 3/4-16 SAE thread filter.

All Job 2 engines use LARGER M22-1.5 metric thread filters. Is the filter in the stock location? Pics?

It's in the correct location but I don't know if there is a adapter plate. I was so frustrated at that point I didn't think to look other then the filler mounting plate is the diameter of the current filter with zero overhang. You can not see any of the flange after the filler is on. It is to the passenger side of the block above the drain plug about 2 inches from the exhaust flange.

I've got to put it back on the ramps to do fog light work next weekend if I'm not working. I'll take a extreme close look and take pictures then.

An earlier motor was probably swapped in at some point and just reused the valve covers to make it compatible. FL-1A Motorcraft filter is what you need.

Interesting the Wix 57060 specs are this

Part Number: 57060
UPC Number: 765809570603
Height: 3.450
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM

Interesting that it says its the same 22X1.5mm threads as the FL-820S that I bought, I did not look at a second one but the one I had would not thread on at all, it could have been a defective one and the threads looked smaller then the Winx 57060 threads.

Next oil change ill buy one of each but from the Orielly's I went to and try the FL-820s or the Wix equivalent and take back the one that doesn't fit.

Just looked the FL-820s up on Orielly's, the pictures on the site are way different the filter I got, the bottom where it screws on did not look like that, totally different hole size and design.

Even my wife who seen all the mess and was going with me said the bottom of the Fl-820s I had was way different then the pictures online.

The design of the holes and sizes was different.

I'm whole hearted saying defective filter.

After the Advance Auto fiasco, I didn't even look at the correct filter at Orielly's.

I just told him here's the one off it, find me the cross referenced Wix.

For what it's worth, my late production '01 Sport Trac uses the Metric FL820S Motorcraft oil filter. Our old '97 4.0L SOHC used the SAE FL1A Motorcraft oil filter. As far as I know these are the only oil filters used on the 4.0L SOHC engine.

The FL820S cross references to the WIX 51372 oil filter and the FL1A cross references to the WIX 51515 according to the RockAuto on-line catalog, so I don't know what you've got going on there.

For what it's worth, my late production '01 Sport Trac uses the Metric FL820S Motorcraft oil filter. Our old '97 4.0L SOHC used the SAE FL1A Motorcraft oil filter. As far as I know these are the only oil filters used on the 4.0L SOHC engine.

The FL820S cross references to the WIX 51372 oil filter and the FL1A cross references to the WIX 51515 according to the RockAuto on-line catalog, so I don't know what you've got going on there.

Best I can figure is previous owner went to a Valvoline oil change place and they put on the wrong filter and then the correct one I bought was made wrong.

Odd stuff. There were only two filters used for the 4.0 engines. Funny(dumb Ford) thing is, the FL1A is a much better(bigger) filter than the FL820S, and there is tons of room there for any filter size.

The blocks have an adapter on them, with the filter threads. You should be able to use either adapter and thus choose the filter you would prefer. I like a big damn filter, the bigger the better. I'd prefer the old adapter to allow you to use the FL1A, or the other sizes that are almost double the FL1A size, which use the same threads and o-ring pad.

Follow up - Time for another 3k oil change to keep the ole girl happy.

Time to change this time - 15 mins like it should be!!!!!!

Purchased FL-820S from Walmart instead of Advance this time, threads looked different then the Advance one and the other one they had on the shelf that I bought back in the spring.

New filter screwed right on like a champ.

Decided to go with a different oil this time and if it works out I will stay with it - Havoline 254645474 5W30 High Mileage Synthetic Blend

Easier to get around here and the specs are just as good as what I was using.

1. You are over tightening your oil filters. I do hand tight + maybe a 1/8-1/4 turn with a filter wrench and have never had any problem removing my oil filters.

2. When space is tight I prefer to use the cup-type filter tool and a ratchet, rather than the other variants. Note that if you use Motorcraft filters you need the cup tool that is specially designed to fit the Motorcraft filter base. I have both the Ford tool and the hex-style oil filter tools, although I don't use Motorcraft filters very often anymore as I prefer to use better quality, extended-life filters and oil.

3. When you install your new filter are you coating the gasket of the filter with a little bit of engine oil? This is necessary to prevent the gasket from binding during installation and also helps when removing the old filter when it's time to change it.

Most auto parts stores carry the Ford filter specific and hex-style oil filter cup tools. I know Autozone does.

I've just always was able to use my hand

I've just always was able to use my hand

I find if I'm wearing a clean rubber glove and if the filter is free of dirt/oil I can remove and install filters by hand alone depending on the accessibility. I find that people often over-tighten the crap on oil filters and drain plugs. When I bought my XLS 5.0L the oil drain plug must have been torqued to 75 foot pounds or more. I thought for sure it was going to break or strip on me, but I got it off by using breaker bar and a cheater pipe. It's just a drain plug, if it's leaking over-tightening it will not help. You probably just need to replace the plugs gasket/O-ring.

I find if I'm wearing a clean rubber glove and if the filter is free of dirt/oil I can remove and install filters by hand alone depending on the accessibility. I find that people often over-tighten the crap on oil filters and drain plugs. When I bought my XLS 5.0L the oil drain plug must have been torqued to 75 foot pounds or more. I thought for sure it was going to break or strip on me, but I got it off by using breaker bar and a cheater pipe. It's just a drain plug, if it's leaking over-tightening it will not help. You probably just need to replace the plugs gasket/O-ring.
Exactly I use a box Wrench only. On plugs no power tools

Cost of special wrenches??? They're like $6 apiece and hardly special. I probably have at 8 different sizes of them. The hex-style one below ($6.32 on Amazon) fits all but the Motorcraft filters. The Motorcraft variety is similar, but has a "fluted" design, which may cost around $7. You just need a 3/8's ratchet extension and ratchet to use it in tight spaces. There's no way an oil filter tightened by hand will not easily come off with one of these.

Non-Motorcraft hex-style wrench :
1588769095868.png

Motorcraft-style wrench:
1588769699651.png

@koda2000
Some basic math: ($6 x 8 hex) +($7 x 8 fluted) = $48 + $56 = $104 for a full set of SingleUse filter wrenches,
plus another say $30 for a tool drawer\box for keeping them from laying all over my limited garage space.
My homemade\modifed strap wrench cost <$10, fits the 3 or 4 sizes of filter that I need on multiple vehicles,
and will not twist the bottom end off a stuck filter the way a drunk sailor twists the top off his 10th empty beer can.
That's pushing $130 in savings, or a really nice prime steak dinner for my entire family that I'd much prefer to SingleUse tools.
Yet even better, add that $130 to a decades long investment for my grand kids future.
Collecting & paying for tools for which I don't have space & don't work well for me, is not what this cheap ol' bas'ard envisions as paradise.
But if it works for you, life is a diverse & wonderous experience!

Depending on whether you usually use a Motorcraft or a hex-style filter brand you only need one wrench ($6-$7) which barely takes up more space to store than the lid to a jar of pickles (and how do you figure it's a "single-time-use" tool?) If that equates to $160 in your mind I don't know what to tell you. I thought you were looking for an alternative to your home-made strap wrench, but I'm not sure what advice you're looking for. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@koda2000
You have "8 sizes" that's at least 8x$6 bucks.
I said "SingleUse" not "Single-Time-Use"; to clarify I should say "SinglePurpose".
Not asking for your advise, my experience is for others to use\reject as they may; another option works for you, that option does not work for me.
Again, life is a diverse & wonderous experience; enjoy it while you can!

I have at least 8 different size oil filter wrenches because I've owned at least 50 different vehicles many had different size oil filters. As far as not asking for "my" advice, I'm well aware that you didn't ask me specifically. I was just offering my experience with various ways of removing oil filters. Don't worry, I won't be offering you any advice in the future.

Back