2016 / 19 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 / 19 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different

Are you sure it's only a center of gravity issue? Have you had an problems with your roof mounted stuff? I really want to add a couple of kayak J carriers but I don't want to damage the moon roof either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure it's only a center of gravity issue? Have you had an problems with your roof mounted stuff? I really want to add a couple of kayak J carriers but I don't want to damage the moon roof either.
The weight restriction has been discussed several times and since Ford has not identified why the limits are what they are, some speculation was required on our part.
Roof integrity and center of gravity were the most common thoughts with the latter being the most possible reason.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...16-2017-crossbars-weight-restrictions.448312/

Peter

The weight restriction has been discussed several times and since Ford has not identified why the limits are what they are, some speculation was required on our part.
Roof integrity and center of gravity were the most common thoughts with the latter being the most possible reason.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...16-2017-crossbars-weight-restrictions.448312/

Peter
Thanks. I've poured through all the threads. I guess I was hoping to hear from someone who said they've done it without issue (gone above the limit with kayaks).

Yep. One can't reasonably roof rack anything with just a 45lb weight limit. I had no problems at all with my potentially 120lb load. Was solid as a rock. Kayaks might be a different story. Depends on how they mount and how much clearance you have.

I hate the new flush mounted roof side rails on my 2017 Explorer. I don't like the factory cross bars that will fit and any other side rails systems are about $500. I think they should have given the buyer an option of flush mounted or raised - or at least, be able to convert the flush mounted to raised by taking off the black plastic.

I hate the new flush mounted roof side rails on my 2017 Explorer. I don't like the factory cross bars that will fit and any other side rails systems are about $500. I think they should have given the buyer an option of flush mounted or raised - or at least, be able to convert the flush mounted to raised by taking off the black plastic.
Welcome to the Forum Sherryl.:wave:
Keep in mind that the more options that are offered the more the cost will likely be. It is more cost effective to use one type on all the Explorers. As for the change to the current design, no official reason was ever given to my knowledge.

Peter

Perhaps the mounting holes are the same as the 11-15', and as such may be backward compatible if someone wants to try a rail swap?

FWIW: I have successfully removed the plastic cover from 16' rails. All you have to do is squeeze the plastic and pull upward aggressively, starting near the front.

So I just lost one... any idea what the part number is for the cover on the drivers side?

Edit: never mind. I'll take it to the dealer and get it done under warranty.

re: Wt limit specs;
I saw this on a smaller car with rails and a huge carrier.
The carrier was way heavy and the cross bars were basically touching the roof. (driver didnt care-they had a mission to accomplish I guess).

- mounted carrier can affect the flex of roof (especially sunroof area). As motion and air hits the carrier, it vibrates or shakes up and down along with the ride, causing constant mild/slow elastic bouncing motion of entire carrier on the crossrails - which pushes/vibrates up and down on rails, which flex roof, while car is moving.
Enough wt can cause cross bars to turn concave, then heavily flex their mount point-the rails- inward or down, causing excess roof flex in a mellow U shape.
Less wt is still causing flex and gently bouncing the entire trip-but generally roof can handle this mild constant flexing without popping out your sunroof onto I95 South.
...if the car is built well enough...

Yep. One can't reasonably roof rack anything with just a 45lb weight limit. I had no problems at all with my potentially 120lb load. Was solid as a rock. Kayaks might be a different story. Depends on how they mount and how much clearance you have.

I ended up hauling one kayak with some J style mounts and it worked just fine.

I thought the roof rails were solid for Explorers with sun roofs.
My 2017 Sport has sun roofs (front and back) and has solid rails.

explorer pic 2018.jpg

^^^ I think you just wanted to show off the Explorer. ;) Great photo!

Peter

From reading many posts in this Forum it is clear that moonroofs have their 'lovers' and 'haters'. I'd never buy a vehicle without a moonroof. It really seems to open and brighten the interior. Have had 3 Ford products and no issues with the moon/sunroofs. Can't recall if the Windstar had one or not. From reading the Warranty Guide the moonroof should be covered under warranty with the possible exception of the glass itself.

Peter

From reading many posts in this Forum it is clear that moonroofs have their 'lovers' and 'haters'. I'd never buy a vehicle without a moonroof. It really seems to open and brighten the interior. Have had 3 Ford products and no issues with the moon/sunroofs. Can't recall if the Windstar had one or not. From reading the Warranty Guide the moonroof should be covered under warranty with the possible exception of the glass itself.

Peter

Don't get me wrong. I love the extra natural lighting from a moonroof or sunroof. in a perfect world where there are no defects with the glass roof devices, I'd get one. I have one on my 2009 Cobalt SS Turbo and it has been problem free ever since I factory ordered the car. But my 2017 Fusion Sport led me down a path to discover none of the auto OEMs will warranty the glass on the roof. Whether it is a fixed, panoramic, moon, or sunroof - that glass is not covered at all and you'll end up fighting to the bitter end for 50% off the repair costs. I had to fight the dealer who then escalated it to Ford who did nothing to help. I did research on my own and found a lot of horror stories about Ford's panoramic glass roofs with the edges blowing out or the entire glass just shattering randomly. Luckily on my Fusion Sport, the glass assembly bolts onto the much more expensive frame assembly so it was a matter of removing 4 bolts to take the panel off and just swap in a new one. But I'll never buy a vehicle with glass anything on the roof.

I believe the glass lifted off the adhesive on the Fusion Sport because it wasn't aligned properly at the factory (the angle of attack generated lift) and the adhesive didn't cure properly because it was a clean separation (no glass remained on the adhesive nor did it shatter into the cabin).

The "solid" roof rack rails are what sold me on buying my 18 Explorer. I personally do not like rails. I had 4 Edge's previously with no rails. And yes, I got the crossbars from Ford, and purchased a Sears XCargo carrier for my trips. For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of carriers either, but my wife also over packs and with 5 grandkids, it gets crowded.;-)

The "solid" roof rack rails are what sold me on buying my 18 Explorer. I personally do not like rails. I had 4 Edge's previously with no rails. And yes, I got the crossbars from Ford, and purchased a Sears XCargo carrier for my trips. For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of carriers either, but my wife also over packs and with 5 grandkids, it gets crowded.;-)
When you said "over packs", I hope that you're aware of the weight restrictions. 45lb with moonroof and 100 lbs. without.

Peter

When you said "over packs", I hope that you're aware of the weight restrictions. 45lb with moonroof and 100 lbs. without.

Peter

I have seen this posted many times, but are there reports of people having issues due to overloading? I have seen a lot of people say they have put more than weight without issue and it will be a tough pill to swallow if I decide not to try to put a single kayak on top with quality thule cross bars and j hooks. Not trying to argue i just want to hear peoples actual experiences.

I am not aware of any negative results from exceeding the manufacturer's stated weight limits. I believe that it has to do with vehicle stability. Exceeding the weight restrictions would make the vehicle more 'top heavy' thereby increasing the possibility of a rollover under certain conditions. That is why there is a different weight restriction for those with and without a moonroof which already increases the weight.

Peter

Hmm. I will keep this in mind as i make my decision, whatever i do, i will try to post the results here. Thank you.

No problems here yet with anything popping loose. The design of the rails make them pretty much useless for trying to tie anything down. If it was a redesign merely for water leaks then they should have actually fixed the leak issue. This appears to be a band-aid to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.........The design of the rails make them pretty much useless for trying to tie anything down...….
That's why they included the anchor type eyebolts. They may not be as handy as a raised rail but they will allow you to tie things down.

Peter

Back