• Register Today It's free!

Water pump

DJW

Reaction score
City, State
Manito, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
I have a 2002 Explorer with the 4.0. I'm replacing the water pump and wondering if I should use the new felt gasket or the metal gasket from what I'm assuming is the original pump. The metal gasket is still in good condition and I like the idea behind it. I don't have a problem with felt gaskets, just getting an idea of what you folks think

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never re-use a gasket. Either use the one supplied or get a Fel-Pro gasket.

I have a 2002 Explorer with the 4.0. I'm replacing the water pump and wondering if I should use the new felt gasket or the metal gasket from what I'm assuming is the original pump. The metal gasket is still in good condition and I like the idea behind it. I don't have a problem with felt gaskets, just getting an idea of what you folks think
@DJW
If you are experiencing leakage of coolant, and it has sprayed all over the top of the front engine area, as well as dribbled down underneath, check carefully in the valley behind the thermostat housing. If a puddle of coolant sits in the "freeze-plug" visible there, look very carefully at the black plastic thermostat housing. I replaced my water pump, almost certain that with 160K it had to be the culprit, even though it turned smoothly and fairly tightly still.

I posted pics of what I finally found. The plastic T-housing is made in 3 pieces, the bottom and middle being gasketed and sealed at the factory. A thin line of coolant was visible with a bright light along the seam between them. Strange thing was, it leaked intermittently, leaving a puddle underneath one day, and not the next. If I can, I'll try to find that thread. imp

Back