[2000' SOHC] Third fuel pump is broken | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

[2000' SOHC] Third fuel pump is broken

An evaporation system fault is an emissions thing related to the evap canister located over the spare tire. A leak in the evap system could make you engine run lean, but it will not ruin/effect the fuel pump.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed, there are two charcoal canisters above the spare tire area, which the fuel tanks vents expanding gases through. the smell is likely from that, or if it were very strong, an opening in the lines or connections leading from the tank vent.

Thanks, do you think dealing with this evaporation system should be done as quick as possible or can it wait until spring? :)

The smell is not strong, so I think it is ok.

Today I will check this "vacuum-like" line (Ford sleeps in heated garage this week). And then I will be able to specify whether I can mount new pump assembly without this "vacuum line" socket.

Evap system can probably wait until spring to repair. While you're in the heated garage, drop the spare tire and check to see if anything looks amiss with the evap canister. It's made of plastic, but the bracket that holds it in place can rust and drop the whole mess into the spare tire.

I've traced this "vacuum line"...and no idea where it goes.
It goes through all frame length - to engine. And then it goes up. And behind the battery it is splitted or joined with other line. Unable to specify where to it goes all in all. But definitely it does not look like DIY patent.

So I have dilemma - should I mount fuel pump assembly without this line or not?

EVAP system will be also subject of my observation, thanks.

That line goes from the evap canister over the spare tire to the evap purge valve, which is located under the battery. Then another hose goes to your intake manifold. Whether that hose is connected or not does not effect the fuel pump operation, though it should throw a CEL if not connected and could also set P0171/0174 lean TDC's.

Thanks for clarifying!

Any idea what could kill pump?

Low voltage, or way too high, clogged/fouled pump pickup screen(bad gas turned to sludge etc), high heat from a lot of low fuel level operation, those are a few.

Thanks for clarifying!

Any idea what could kill pump?

Nothing you've stated so far. Did you say you replaced the fuel filter? Do you regularly run your tank near empty? What brand of fuel pumps were the 3 you've had go bad? Did you find rust/dirt in the tank? Did all the pumps just stop running? Did you verify that in each case there was voltage and ground at the pump?

What I know:
A clogged fuel filter can kill a fuel pump
The fuel in the tank helps to cool the pump
Rust or dirt in the tank can ruin a pump
Airtex fuel pumps are garbage

1) Fuel tank is always above half (I am familiar with consequences of running with low gas level)
2) Fuel Filter was changed too. I can inspect new one and change if necessary
3) Fuel pumps: Autobest and then cheaper ones (cheaper ones runned longer :p)
4) Pickup screen (do you mean this bag - filter?) is clean
5) The tank seemed to be clean. Another one to re-inspect
6) Voltage....I would get focus on this one more time. Inspection procedure from Haynes Manual is good I think?

You are really helpful, I can get it all straight in my head :) Thanks

But another dilemma.
Should I assume that 2.2 BAR (30 psi) fuel pressure is correct or should I suspect i.e. fuel filter and expect 4.0 bar (65 psi) fuel pressure? Maybe this is such EU variant of fuel system which supports 30 psi fuel pressure.
And another trace:
Maybe fuel filter was incorrectly chosen by mechanic and there is too much restrictions with lowers fuel pressure. Is it possible? There were different fuel filters for Ford Explorer from specific years...which could have been skipped by mechanic during purchase.

Issues I see:

1.) Autobest fuel pumps are made in China and are cheap junk.
2.) Smell of gas around the fuel tank
3.) Band clamps on a high pressure fuel line (see #2)

Spend $165 and drop in the complete motorcraft assembly.

s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg

NEW Motorcraft Fuel Pump Module & Sending Unit PFS-978 Ford Explorer 2000-2001 | eBay

It won't last long at this price.

I would assume that the U.S. and EU fuel pressures should be the same (around 65-67 PSI) for a 2000 Explorer, due to the return-less style fuel system. Even the older pre '99 return-style fuel systems are supposed to produce 35-40 PSI.

The the 1999-2001's return-less fuel system pressure regulator is located on the fuel pump assembly, just above the fuel pump, inside the fuel tank. If you said you've replaced the complete fuel pump assembly at some point I don't recall. That's the only way to replace the fuel pressure regulator, as far as I know, because I don't believe it's available separately. If the regulator is bad you would not achieve optimal fuel pressure. If either of the two short pieces of rubber fuel line are cracked/split/loose you would also loose fuel pressure. If the two pieces of in-tank fuel line are not rated for submersible use they will deteriorate and leak over time.

The first Explorer/Mountaineer fuel pump I replaced I installed an Aixtex brand pump. It died within 10k. Just stopped working. Since then I've used Bosch #69128 fuel pumps 6 times (in 6 different vehicles) have had excellent success with them and the vehicles now have a combined 100,000+ miles over 6 years.

The fact that your pumps still ran, but didn't produce adequate pressure, makes me think your problem may not be fuel pump related. With the exception of my one Airtex pump, all 6 of my OE fuel pumps flat out just stopped working (would not run at all) or worked intermittently. Your repeated low fuel pressure makes me think a bad fuel pressure regulator, split hose or obstruction in the fuel line/fuel filter, or even low voltage/bad ground to the pump.

I don't know what else to tell you. Repeatedly replacing fuel pumps doesn't make sense. What are the odds of getting multiple bad pumps? What is it Einstein said? "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity."

In my experience, most mechanics are arrogant, lazy and don't do proper diagnostics for a problem, preferring to just throw parts at it. That's why I do most of my own repairs. When I purchase a part I'm 99% sure it's going to fix my problem. On the rare occasion I take my vehicle to my mechanic, I know exactly what's wrong with it, I just don't want to fix it myself.

Diagnostic time is expensive because it's very time-consuming, requires patients, skill and analytical ability.

I'm Not sure if this is your problem, but I had a 95' f150 that kept going through fuel pumps, and ended up having to pull the tank and clean it out. The truck had dual tanks and the pump for the front tank was out when I bought it. If the tank has been sitting empty or low for a period of time it' a good chance there is rust and other sediment in the tank that is burning up the fuel pump. That was the case for me. After I replace 2 pumps I pulled the tank and cleaned out all the rust and other junk and never had to mess with another pump afterwards. Just my $.02.

3) Fuel pumps: Autobest and then cheaper ones (cheaper ones runned longer :p)

Dude... F those cheap pumps. Drop a whole new Motorcraft unit in and address the hose clamp. That covers all new lines, wires, FPR, filter, pump, float... the whole shebang for $165 and I guarantee it will last the life of the rig.

The fuel pressure you have is very odd, 65psi is the norm for any 1999 and newer Ford.

But we hadn't mentioned this, it is possible to change the computer programming, to have it run any pressure wanted. So it's doubtful you have a PCM program that is that unique, I would check into that. If the PCM was programmed for it, that truck could run on 32psi. It just wouldn't make sense for someone to do that, the higher pressure level is supposed to be better for fuel atomization with the injectors which also changed for 1999.

Two stories.

1.) Had a 97 with a failing fuel pump. Ran perfect for months, under 4000rpm. Low pressure. New pump fixed it.

2.) JoeDirt's Deuce had two fuel issues when I bought it. It still drove normal under a certain rpm but the power would ween higher up and I would smell raw fuel. When he changed the fuel filter, the rusted out guts in the quick disconnect came out and was leaking fuel which lead to loss of pressure. The fuel line was also twisted right before the fuel rail (and hidden under the black plastic sleeve) pinching off the line. Musta happened when the intake was removed. Still can't believe it ran as good as it did with these two issues.

I would really buy this pump assembly - but what next with this "vacuum-like" line?
I have new fuel filter (100% sure that will fit my Explorer).
I have fuel line connectors.
A will inspect if fuel tank is clean and if fuel lines are good.

I suspect that fuel filter can be fitted badly and maybe there are some restrictions?

If you're talking about the evap line(s), One goes from the top of the fuel tank to the evap canister mounted over the spare tire. The evaporation canister has a solenoid valve with an electrical connector and a second line. That's the line that leads all the way to the front of the vehicle and connects to the purge solenoid, which is located under the battery. Another piece of hose runs fro the purge solenoid to the left side of the intake manifold. When the engine is started it sucks the stored gas fumes from the evaporation canister into the intake and burns them. This is done solely for the sake of emissions.

As you said you can smell gasoline at the rear of your truck, something has a hole in it or has become disconnected. Figure out where the problem is as go from there. It's also possible that you may have a rusted filler neck/vent pipe or a leak in one of the hoses that connect both to your fuel tank. There's no way to know what's wrong, or how to fix it, w/out investigating.

BTW - I've never seen an OE Motorcraft fuel pump assembly for a 2000-2001 Explorer that had a filter on the hose going from the fuel pressure regulator back to the fuel tank (and I've seen a bunch of them). That's weird and really makes no sense to me. That makes a little leery of that assembly. What else might be different?

s-l300.jpg

I wonder about the lines/hoses coming from that fuel tank. I know from reading others here, that there is an odd fuel filter, which has three ports to it. I wonder what the differences might be, and how that truck here could be similar.

What does the top of that fuel tank look like? Here's a typical 95-01 Explorer tank from the US; the steel one on the right(left is 93 4dr Limited).

93-98 tank sensors.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder about the lines/hoses coming from that fuel tank. I know from reading others here, that there is an odd fuel filter, which has three ports to it. I wonder what the differences might be, and how that truck here could be similar.

What does the top of that fuel tank look like? Here's a typical 95-01 Explorer tank from the US; the steel one on the right(left is 93 4dr Limited).

View attachment 156888

My '01 ST has the odd 3-port fuel filter. I have no idea what the extra port is for. I've replaced the fuel pump and it was identical to the fuel pumps used in all my other Explorers/Mountaineers. I didn't see anything different about the FP assembly FPR or fuel tank connections either. I asked the ST forum if anyone knew what the extra port and line were for, but I got no responses.

Back