• Register Today It's free!

No air in front, rear works

KDK241

Reaction score
City, State
Maplewood, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 2000 Mountaineer, 5.0 V8 that has an air problem.

Absolutely no air comes out of the front vents, floor vents or defrost but it blows out of the rear vents just fine.
It's always made a quick noise when you turn off the heat and it still makes it but nothing comes out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2000 Mountaineer, 5.0 V8 that has an air problem.

Absolutely no air comes out of the front vents, floor vents or defrost but it blows out of the rear vents just fine.
It's always made a quick noise when you turn off the heat and it still makes it but nothing comes out.
I would start by checking if the blower is working. Put it at maximum speed and listen.

I would check the blend door actuator behind the glove box.

Does it have the electronic (digital dash module, aka EATC) or manual climate controls?

One of the more common failures is the motor controller on the firewall, or the blower motor itself. You can use a multimeter to see if it's getting power and ground. IIRC, if it isn't getting power then it's probably a fuse in the interior panel (#11?), but the ground on an EATC setup goes through the firewall mounted module. Either way, EATC or manual, you can check for power and ground at the fan connector then follow the circuit whichever direction is faulty, or it's the fan itself if you have power and ground.

Rarely the dash head unit itself can fail, but it's much less common.

I would check the blend door actuator behind the glove box.
The blend door - as the name implies -- only controls how much reheating the air gets after going through the A/C evaporator first. And, incidentally, what's under the glove box is not the blend door, but the external air inlet door (which determines whether you circulate internal air or get fresh air into the cabin). In my humble opinion, failure of either of these two will not cause the problem that the O/P described.

The blend door - as the name implies -- only controls how much reheating the air gets after going through the A/C evaporator first. And, incidentally, what's under the glove box is not the blend door, but the external air inlet door (which determines whether you circulate internal air or get fresh air into the cabin). In my humble opinion, failure of either of these two will not cause the problem that the O/P described.

The OP's description is vague at best.
No air? As in no circulation of air. No heat or no A/C air? No blower motor speeds? EATC or manual controls?
OK..so I may have called it the wrong name. At least it was a suggestion of an area to look into.
What was your suggestion on where to look?

The OP's description is vague at best.
No air? As in no circulation of air. No heat or no A/C air? No blower motor speeds? EATC or manual controls?
OK..so I may have called it the wrong name. At least it was a suggestion of an area to look into.
What was your suggestion on where to look?
Didn't mean to belittle your advice, and sorry if it sounded like that.
Because the O/P said "no air", my suggestion (just above yours) was to check if the blower is working - which is the most likely culprit for total lack of airflow, and as JC mentioned, quite commonly caused by regulator ("resistor") failures. The O/P mentioned that there is airflow in the back, but the console has its own, separate little blower.

Sorry for my vague original post. It has manual controls and when you turn on the heat, vent or ac nothing happens no matter what setting the fan is on. The rear vents blow air out of them but nothing from the front vents, floor or defrost unless I'm on the highway, then you can feel a little heat get forced through.

Sorry for my vague original post. It has manual controls and when you turn on the heat, vent or ac nothing happens no matter what setting the fan is on. The rear vents blow air out of them but nothing from the front vents, floor or defrost unless I'm on the highway, then you can feel a little heat get forced through.
Sounds like you haven't checked the blower yet. Turn the speed control to max, raise the hood and listen. If the blower is silent, first check for blown fuse -- #2, 40A, in the fuse box under the hood. It's unlikely to burn, but if the blower motor is stuck, it may. If the fuse is blown, remove the blower motor and try to spin by hand (after turning it off, to prevent injury should it suddenly wake up). Otherwise it's likely to be the resistor - a little box that sits inside the air plenum. It's not the easiest thing to replace, so first check that the motor gets power. Unplug the connector -- there should be +12V on one of the two wires. Nothing? Bad relay (not very likely). If it has power and does not run, it's either the motor or the resistor (which provides ground). Hook the motor directly to the battery to check it (again, keep your hands away from the blade). If it runs, you have a bad resistor. If memory serves, accessing it requires removing the blower and the moving aside the CC servo. Good luck!

Back