• Register Today It's free!

led headlights

mes882

Reaction score
City, State
iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 mountaineer prem
07 mountaineer been thinking about some led headlights. With so many choices out there not sure what to get.
Who has them? What did you buy? Pros and Cons? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cons is they are illegal and excessively blind other drivers. A kit where the housing is designed for them may not be illegal, but will be low quality, probably short lived, and still contribute to blinding other drivers.

Cons is they are illegal and excessively blind other drivers. A kit where the housing is designed for them may not be illegal, but will be low quality, probably short lived, and still contribute to blinding other drivers.
Yeah that my be true. But the newer vehicle with factory leds aren't blinding?

New fresh OEM headlight assembly with clean lens and new reflectors should be considered first.

The aftermarket leds or wannabe xenon upgrades are most common a piece of sh*t

Yeah that my be true. But the newer vehicle with factory leds aren't blinding?
They have engineered housings designed for LEDs, to better focus the light (are an LED array on a PCB, not a bulb form factor), but yes they are more blinding than incandescents, largely due to too cold a color temperature.

There's a great area of the forum for asking about modifications and will let you search for terms. Here's a link to a search about LED headlights.

Check out the '06-'10 Modified area. Be a good place to get your question answered from others who have tried it.

07 mountaineer been thinking about some led headlights. With so many choices out there not sure what to get.
I have had some LED headlights and fog lights in my explorer for the past four years. I bought the JDM Astar brand off of Amazon. They have a built in resistor so I do not get bulb out error messages. All of the newer cars have blinding LED lights. I do not have any guilt running LED bulbs. Nobody flashes me either.

With LED bulbs the key to having them function well with the same OEM beam pattern is for the LEDs to be located where the filaments are for the OEM bulbs. When buying them make sure they are compatible with the bulbs they are intended to replace regarding placement of the LEDs. Some LEDs are way off the mark in this regard and shouldn't be used.

^ They never are, because an incan bulb has a virtually-single-point, near 360' arc of light with nearly the same intensity, while even if you managed to position ONE LED in that location, it is less than 180' with intensity dropping off with the departure from dead center, and the additional LEDs to make up the rest of the beam pattern (need at least 3 more on different planes) are displaced from the original filament position that much more. Even so, of course some are better than others, especially if a projector housing.

Plus many bulbs don't even bother trying to do this right, only use two planes of LEDs on opposing sides, because much cheaper to manufacture that. Sufficient heat conduction while keeping all LEDs in the best possible (still suboptimal) locations to emulate an incan bulb, would practically require a 3D mPCB with an embedded phase change heatpipe construction (or a peltier on the other end to increase the temperature gradient), and would be prone to cracking the solder joints, and would still fall short optically, so OEMs went with a custom design for the whole thing that (mostly) eliminates these issues, even though it costs more still, to do that.

Regardless, the same problem always results. To whatever extent they help the driver see better, it is impossible for them not to blind other drivers more than that. Even the perfect incan bulb and housing, still has light that escapes in a broader beam the further it travels, because it's not a laser, nor would you want it to be.

It's supposed to only light up YOUR path within a safe distance to stop, so has to have some spread but also not be bright enough that this spread puts too much light, too high up, or too far into the opposing lane of traffic, but you can't just aim the light downward and further to the right, unless your only objective is seeing/blinding pedestrians and animals along the side of the road. It was always an engineering problem before LEDs, but make more light, make it colder tinted, and the problem worsens.

Two LEDs placed properly in the bulb structure will mimic the 360 degree dispersion pattern of an OEM bulb very closely. When I switched to LED bulbs I test fit one side and left the OEM bulb in the other. The dispersal pattern of the two bulbs were identical. The horizontal upper cutt off point was the same. As I said previously, it is important to buy a quality bulb that places the LEDs properly.

I have been running LEDs for almost two years. I live in a congested area regarding traffic. I can't recall being flashed by oncoming traffic unless I left the high beams on by accident. There are many cars with LED lights in my area. OEM and otherwise. I don't find OEM or aftermarket bulbs annoying except for those using the ultra cool, very blue, bulbs. If I were getting flashed by oncoming traffic I would either find a better LED bulb or go back to OEM ones. I would like to find a set of quality LEDs that have a 5k temperature rating but haven't found any so far. I think 5k bulbs would provide better visibility. For some reason most are 6k-6.5k.

Two LEDs placed properly in the bulb structure will mimic the 360 degree dispersion pattern of an OEM bulb very closely. When I switched to LED bulbs I test fit one side and left the OEM bulb in the other. The dispersal pattern of the two bulbs were identical. The horizontal upper cutt off point was the same. As I said previously, it is important to buy a quality bulb that places the LEDs properly.

I have been running LEDs for almost two years. I live in a congested area regarding traffic. I can't recall being flashed by oncoming traffic unless I left the high beams on by accident. There are many cars with LED lights in my area. OEM and otherwise. I don't find OEM or aftermarket bulbs annoying except for those using the ultra cool, very blue, bulbs. If I were getting flashed by oncoming traffic I would either find a better LED bulb or go back to OEM ones. I would like to find a set of quality LEDs that have a 5k temperature rating but haven't found any so far. I think 5k bulbs would provide better visibility. For some reason most are 6k-6.5k.

1) If the light is brighter or colder color temperature, you could have the exact same dispersion pattern and it's still a problem.

2) No quality bulb changes this. It's still illegal, and more blinding to other drivers to whatever extent it improves your vision. Even more so, because the cold color temperature tricks the brain into thinking it is more usable light because of the glare even to the driver, when it is less usable to the driver than a warmer color temp at same lumens and beam pattern.

3) Not being flashed is not proof of anything. I constantly see illegal glaring headlight and do not flash them because there is no point, knowing they have illegal headlights and their only recourse would be to entirely shut their headlights off! Please reads this #3 several times because I often see this false argument where people don't GET IT, that if you are being blinded and struggling to see to drive, the last thing most people would do is think "oh, instead of trying to SEE, I'll make an effort to flash this other vehicle instead". No! If you are blinded, any responsible driver puts 100% of their attention into trying to drive instead.

4) Illegal, and blinding others, and you've been given notice that they blind others. What else is there to say? It's like rationalizing an armed bank robbery, claiming nobody complained about it while at gunpoint, nobody was hurt because you didn't shoot them plus FDIC covers this, that it just benefits you with no drawbacks otherwise, which of course is not true. I'd rather people robbed banks because frankly, it impacts me less.

5) If you state you'd "like" to get 5K temp lights but get them anyway at 6K5 temp, that's not a consolation to anyone else blinded by them. It's more a sign that the manufacture only cared about cost and not anything else, to try to produce most lumens possible from their design budget. Plus, even 5K temp is too high. The higher the temp, the more glaring and less useful the perceivable light is to the driver, which was the point in the first place, no? High CRI and lower color temp provides the best acuity with least glare to everyone.

Do you trust the Chinese with your life? It seems like you're just stating you can't resist buying an illegal product that causes problems then rationalize it by downplaying every reason why. If nothing else, there's the lower reliability. Despite the BS claims by LED retrofit manufacturers, none last remotely close to as long as a long life incan bulb.

There is no valid reason to use them on public roads.

We could go back and forth on this forever. IMO, if the problem with LEDs is as huge as you claim then I would be getting flashed constantly. Also, I would be aggravated by other vehicles that use LEDs which is not the case at all. Also, the LEDs I find most offensive are vehicles that came with them OEM. I have said all I care to say on the matter. If you feel you need to make another long winded post then have at it.

^ I'll take your post into consideration and start flashing people, maybe even put in a more convenient circuit to just do it automatically based on sensed light level. The more I think about it, the more I like that idea because this problem is only getting worse.

My post wouldn't have been long winded if you just respected fellow motorists and didn't break the law instead of trying to rationalize/excuse. I much, prefer, when people don't try to cause problems and get along instead. ;) Your vehicle came with adequate headlights. There would have been a recall otherwise. More, is not always better. There are countless examples of this in life.

A year ago,ive replaced mine with OEM new factory headlights (supplied with osram headlamps).
20220128_160941.jpg

Really dont need for chinese led junk.the factory ones works perfectly.dont try to save money on your own safety.

1) If the light is brighter or colder color temperature, you could have the exact same dispersion pattern and it's still a problem.

2) No quality bulb changes this. It's still illegal, and more blinding to other drivers to whatever extent it improves your vision. Even more so, because the cold color temperature tricks the brain into thinking it is more usable light because of the glare even to the driver, when it is less usable to the driver than a warmer color temp at same lumens and beam pattern.

3) Not being flashed is not proof of anything. I constantly see illegal glaring headlight and do not flash them because there is no point, knowing they have illegal headlights and their only recourse would be to entirely shut their headlights off! Please reads this #3 several times because I often see this false argument where people don't GET IT, that if you are being blinded and struggling to see to drive, the last thing most people would do is think "oh, instead of trying to SEE, I'll make an effort to flash this other vehicle instead". No! If you are blinded, any responsible driver puts 100% of their attention into trying to drive instead.

4) Illegal, and blinding others, and you've been given notice that they blind others. What else is there to say? It's like rationalizing an armed bank robbery, claiming nobody complained about it while at gunpoint, nobody was hurt because you didn't shoot them plus FDIC covers this, that it just benefits you with no drawbacks otherwise, which of course is not true. I'd rather people robbed banks because frankly, it impacts me less.

5) If you state you'd "like" to get 5K temp lights but get them anyway at 6K5 temp, that's not a consolation to anyone else blinded by them. It's more a sign that the manufacture only cared about cost and not anything else, to try to produce most lumens possible from their design budget. Plus, even 5K temp is too high. The higher the temp, the more glaring and less useful the perceivable light is to the driver, which was the point in the first place, no? High CRI and lower color temp provides the best acuity with least glare to everyone.

Do you trust the Chinese with your life? It seems like you're just stating you can't resist buying an illegal product that causes problems then rationalize it by downplaying every reason why. If nothing else, there's the lower reliability. Despite the BS claims by LED retrofit manufacturers, none last remotely close to as long as a long life incan bulb.

There is no valid reason to use them on public roads.
Agree with your explanations.
I got the LED Bug several years ago.
Was quoted almost all of your reasons. BUTTTTTTT....Had to try them anyway. After headaches, and wallet aches, I am sworn to OEM headlight systems. Now some Hip taillight lenses, different story!!LOL

Make sure they are FCC approved. Most LED aftermarket lights come from China. Led lights work from a lower voltage of about 3 volts. This requires that the lights be equipped with a resistor for low-current small lights or for large multi-light bars, the more current efficient way is to use a switching power supply. These supplies generate RF noise that that are primarily in the FM broadcast band and swamp the receive FM broadcast radio signals. Even a strong radio station may be affected with noise on their signal when you have the lights turned on. The FCC has primeters for Radio Frequency Radiation. Most China-made LED lights have never been subject to FCC testing for radiation compliance. If you plan to use your FM vehicle radio with your LED's in, better check the label for the FCC compliance certification logo on the item. Why don't the Customs officials inspect for this, I don't know. Probably, they feel it is not their job. To use a non FCC approved device makes you, the used liable for any interference issues your device creates, and the seller can face charges for selling non-approved electronic devices.

If we’re talking headlamp upgrades, you need a beam pattern that perfectly mimics an incandescent. The Philips Lumens (which is a major global OEM supplier) from xenon depot are simply the best you can get. I’ve got them in my high-beams on several vehicles that didn’t come equipped like my 16 sport. The 5K color is correct bright-white without the aftermarket “blue-tint effect” and the “clockable” adjustment is a superb feature…although I’ve never had to adjust off center. I also have their H7’s in several of my superbikes and the pattern is perfect; and greatly improved using both high and low beams. They don’t say “ticket please” and as long as your headlight housing is adjusted to spec, you’ll be blown away at the night vision improvement! They appear to the rest of the world to be original equipment…they’re just that good. I’ve not had any failures the past five years in ANY of my vehicles. They’re expensive, but you know the old saying…

For fog light upgrades, I’ve had great luck with Kensun. High quality, reliable, competitively priced and fantastic customer service! For my ‘16 sport, the color match to my stock low beam led’s coupled with the Philips hi beam led’s from xenon depot beam projection is amazing! I don’t use any of the glass slip-on color lenses…

Everything discussed is plug and play btw! No falsing or flicker…AND I don’t have other motorists ever flashing me! Again, they’re that good!

Enjoy!

PS…xenon calls their lumens “fog lights”…disregard this as it’s strictly for legal reasons!

If we’re talking headlamp upgrades, you need a beam pattern that perfectly mimics an incandescent. The Philips Lumens (which is a major global OEM supplier) from xenon depot are simply the best you can get. I’ve got them in my high-beams on several vehicles that didn’t come equipped like my 16 sport. The 5K color is correct bright-white without the aftermarket “blue-tint effect” and the “clockable” adjustment is a superb feature…although I’ve never had to adjust off center. I also have their H7’s in several of my superbikes and the pattern is perfect; and greatly improved using both high and low beams. They don’t say “ticket please” and as long as your headlight housing is adjusted to spec, you’ll be blown away at the night vision improvement! They appear to the rest of the world to be original equipment…they’re just that good. I’ve not had any failures the past five years in ANY of my vehicles. They’re expensive, but you know the old saying…

For fog light upgrades, I’ve had great luck with Kensun. High quality, reliable, competitively priced and fantastic customer service! For my ‘16 sport, the color match to my stock low beam led’s coupled with the Philips hi beam led’s from xenon depot beam projection is amazing! I don’t use any of the glass slip-on color lenses…

Everything discussed is plug and play btw! No falsing or flicker…AND I don’t have other motorists ever flashing me! Again, they’re that good!

Enjoy!

PS…xenon calls their lumens “fog lights”…disregard this as it’s strictly for legal reasons!
Legal reasons being - the first one is they're not street legal in the USA for headlights. As they themselves admit! If anyone ever comes up with a
GOOD and legal replacement for the very weak headlight setup in the 2nd gen Explorers, for under $150, they would sell volumes!

Stock LED Low beam’s with Kensun 9145 fog light set-up and high beams with the Philips 9005 from xenon depot

A20E8EAA-2E40-48F5-B062-60BC573DCD53.jpeg 62CED946-39C4-456D-AB85-F3102AAA935F.jpeg 06BBF2EE-5862-474C-8CB4-F4B10242CB9B.jpeg 2A621781-EE39-4CA1-ABA7-FE1EE9670B83.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took my headlights apart and put in projectors and run a morimoto xeon bulb and ballast, I picked everything up from the retrofit source and they have been working awesome for the last year. I know they have some LED options that go into a projector housing so you wont blind oncoming traffic. I liked the upgraded lights and the look with the projectors imo look awesome.

Back