• Register Today It's free!

6 inch lift

PapaFresh

Reaction score
City, State
Goodlettsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
Hey all, I just bought a 91 explorer recently, so don't know much about them. I have been looking for a 6 inch suspension lift kit and can't seem to find one. I've heard that ranger kits could work but some parts wouldn't be able too. If ranger kits could work, what kit and what would I also need to get that wouldn't work in the ranger kit? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ranger kits work, but sometimes they can leave an explorer uneven. The rear springs are meant for a truck beds weight (not an SUV). It's easy to adjust out though with a leveling kit, if you can find one. A set of shackles that you can choose a hight can help too.

Ranger kits work, but sometimes they can leave an explorer uneven. The rear springs are meant for a truck beds weight (not an SUV). It's easy to adjust out though with a leveling kit, if you can find one. A set of shackles that you can choose a hight can help too.
So, would I have to do an soa? Someone told me that the ranger springs in rear are over axle instead of under. Not sure if that would change anything by using them on the EX except make it uneven, is that true?

If you buy a ranger kit for an Explorer, you’ll only use the front. Yes, the Ranger is SOA, and the Explorer is SUA.
If you lift the front 6”, you can do an SOA and get 4.5” just from that, then make up the difference with either a block, addaleaf, or new leaf packs.
Best thing you can do is read read and read some more through this section and maybe the off-road builds section and see how many others have done this in the past.

Sua = spring under axle
Soa = spring over axle

Skyjacker has a very nice 6” lift kit for your explorer you should really consider the extended radius arms to improve the ride and front end geometry. Without them you are basically just raising your center of gravity with the suspension lift

James duff abs superlift also make 6” kits for your truck

There are other options as well that are not so much designed as a lift but more of a performance suspension upgrade, offerings from camburg, autofab, giant motorsports, solo motorsports, etc these are all companies that build performance suspension systems based around the ttb front suspension like your 91 explorer has

Sua = spring under axle
Soa = spring over axle

Skyjacker has a very nice 6” lift kit for your explorer you should really consider the extended radius arms to improve the ride and front end geometry. Without them you are basically just raising your center of gravity with the suspension lift

James duff abs superlift also make 6” kits for your truck

There are other options as well that are not so much designed as a lift but more of a performance suspension upgrade, offerings from camburg, autofab, giant motorsports, solo motorsports, etc these are all companies that build performance suspension systems based around the ttb front suspension like your 91 explorer has
Is there anyway you could give me links for any of the 6inch lifts? I feel like I've looked everywhere and can't find anything. Also, those are full 6inch lifts, right? No customization necessary? (Other than lifting it ofc lol)

They are ranger lift kits
They will work for the front end only

The rear axle with a 5-6” lift is easy you just go spring over which requires some spring perches, shock mounts, shocks

I’ll get some links

Search for 93-94 ranger lift kits they will fit your explorer front end

This is just the tip of the iceburg
The ttb suspension has been romping in the desert and trails for many years now there is a large aftermarket from bolt on drop bracket lifts that only raise your center of gravity to full blown super wide
Long travel 4wd modified beam kits and of course the autofab Dana 44ttb long travel conversion that gives you 18” of wheel travel and huge brakes/ bearings
Sky is the limit here

They are ranger lift kits
They will work for the front end only

The rear axle with a 5-6” lift is easy you just go spring over which requires some spring perches, shock mounts, shocks

I’ll get some links
If I did the soa, would I have to weld anything? Or is it just bolt on?

Search for 93-94 ranger lift kits they will fit your explorer front end

This is just the tip of the iceburg
The ttb suspension has been romping in the desert and trails for many years now there is a large aftermarket from bolt on drop bracket lifts that only raise your center of gravity to full blown super wide
Long travel 4wd modified beam kits and of course the autofab Dana 44ttb long travel conversion that gives you 18” of wheel travel and huge brakes/ bearings
Sky is the limit here
Also, let me just say, I'm somewhat on a budget lol. I was thinking around 2k. I don't need anything extreme, just want it lifted and be able to do a little offroading about once a month, sometimes a little more. I'm thinking about just sticking with a 4inch lift because it's easier, unless the soa isn't TOO hard (I just don't want it to take too long) and doesn't require much customization.

4-5" is much better option for a TTB. You can get away with drop brackets/longer coils front and SOA rear. 6" lift is getting to the extreme limits of the front suspension without custom beams. You will need a kit, either pieced together or complete.

When you mentioned a budget, are you including tires and wheels in there?
If you do a search, the forum has all the info you would need.

4” is difficult on explorer to match in the rear which is why we sat 5-6” so you can do a simple soa
Welding is not required superlift used to make a kit that bolted in, I personally would weld new perches on

I would do either a 2” lift and start there or go to 5-6 with radius arms that is how I approach most ttb builds on explorer

My personal favorite is the Dana 44 ttb conversion because it is so simple, uses mostly stock axle parts, gives you huge brakes and wheel bearings…But it is also very wide :)

There are so many options out there research is your friend
1.5-2” skyjacker coil springs and shocks avail on ebay
You need front camber correction shims
Rear extended shackles for an explorer and 2” lift rear shocks

It’s a very good setup for 31-32” tire and it sounds Like what you are looking for
If you want larger tires a 2” body lift and fender flares can help stuff 33’s

4-5" is much better option for a TTB. You can get away with drop brackets/longer coils front and SOA rear. 6" lift is getting to the extreme limits of the front suspension without custom beams. You will need a kit, either pieced together or complete.

When you mentioned a budget, are you including tires and wheels in there?
If you do a search, the forum has all the info you would need.
I'm not necessarily including wheels or tires. I'm gonna take the wheels off my 06 and then I'll get new tires, but that's not counted in the budget. I'm thinking about just sticking with a 4inch. It's simple and easy lol

4” is difficult on explorer to match in the rear which is why we sat 5-6” so you can do a simple soa
Welding is not required superlift used to make a kit that bolted in, I personally would weld new perches on
So you're saying don't just get a 4in lift? There are tons of 4 in kits that are just bolt on that I've found.

If you go 4” you will want shackles and springs in the rear to match it otherwise, some people will use an add a leaf but I hate those things they ride like hay wagon compared to a good set of springs

The only way to improve the performance of your front ttb is with extended radius arms
Otherwise most/a 4 lift will consist of 2” drop brackets and max out the camber and steering geometry with 4” coils stuffed in there
Without extended arms, again all this does it ruin the handling and raise your center of gravity. A 4,5 or 6” lift with extended radius arms… well now you are talking. I like the skyjacker 6” because it is proven to be the best handling of the 6” bolt in kits. Skyjacker is quality.
Most extended radius arms for the Dana 35 ttb only work with 5-6” of lift coil just fyi

So no I’m not a fan of 3 or 4” bolt in on drop bracket lifts on these go with a nice 1.5-2” coil and some rear shackles unless you are ready to ditch the short factory radius arms then go 5-6”

If you go 4” you will want shackles and springs in the rear to match it otherwise, some people will use an add a leaf but I hate those things they ride like hay wagon compared to a good set of springs

The only way to improve the performance of your front ttb is with extended radius arms
Otherwise most/a 4 lift will consist of 2” drop brackets and max out the camber and steering geometry with 4” coils stuffed in there
Without extended arms, again all this does it ruin the handling and raise your center of gravity. A 4,5 or 6” lift with extended radius arms… well now you are talking. I like the skyjacker 6” because it is proven to be the best handling of the 6” bolt in kits. Skyjacker is quality.
Most extended radius arms for the Dana 35 ttb only work with 5-6” of lift coil just fyi

So no I’m not a fan of 3 or 4” bolt in on drop bracket lifts on these go with a nice 1.5-2” coil and some rear shackles unless you are ready to ditch the short factory radius arms then go 5-6”
At this point, I just don't want to spend a lot of money, and I just want to hit the trails lol. So, let me make sure I know what I'm doing, 6inch ranger lIft, soa in the rear (perches, shocks and shock mounts? Can I just look for those somewhere and buy them?) And then something like add a leaf to add height? I'm still a little confused, but I'll do some more research

If your plan is for trail use, you are going to have to spend the money on something that improves the suspension, not just make it taller and less flexy. Search this same sub forum for hundreds of TTB lifted Explorers. You can use the advice given here, and do your own research as well. There are at least 10 threads in the "Similar threads" below.

What type of trails are you running? For general off road and street use, TTB works well. For go fast trails, TTB works better than almost anything. For slow rock crawling, doing a solid axle swap could be considered.

i agree, but if he/she just wants to get out, they can do what is necessary for now, and then later add more flexy leaves, etc... but in the end, suspension can only do much (jmo), and really the tires are where its at, but the suspension does play a critical role too... however for the frequency they go offroad, maybe something like that is something they can get away with and maybe uprgade down the line... all just my opinion:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's all part of building a trail rig. The suspension needs to work, the tires need to be the correct type for the terrain and be on the ground to work.

Back