• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gear Stopped Working

SPQR

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hello forum. I searched around to see if anyone has had this same problem, but google didn't help much, so I joined here hoping that one of you might be able to point me in the right direction...

Anyway, it's a '94 Explorer XLT 4l 4x4 manual transmission. I just bought it a few months ago, to use as a camping vehicle, and one week before it's maiden voyage into the bush, I have a really weird problem with the tranny. I was driving it around yesterday when I suddenly couldn't shift into third. I was in traffic so I gave it a couple of good shoves, but it simply refused to go into third. This took a couple of seconds, so by this time (I was going uphill) I had lost velocity, so I then tried to get into second, which also gave me a bit of attitude, but eventually worked.

I was only about 5 minutes from my house, so I decided to try to limp home, which I managed to do, avoiding third gear altogether. I got home, went inside to try googling the problem, and now I've gone back out and taken it for a spin, and everything *feels* fine, except when I put it in third (yes, the shifter now allows me to put it in third), it simply does not engage anything. It's like it's in neutral.

So The truck still works. I just have to go 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th. WTF? How can one gear cease to work without the whole tranny blowing up or at least feeling like **** has gone really bad?

Maybe another notable point would be that sitting in my driveway trying to think about the problem, I had it running and I tried using third, but nothing. Like I said, it's like it's in neutral *except* that I made a minor discovery... If I really push the stick alllll the way forward (gently), I can feel it start to try to engage. In other words, third gear is still there, the stick just doesn't engage it.

Help please!!

Is it really third because it is only a 4 speed transmission.

it's a '94 Explorer XLT 4l 4x4 manual transmission...

Is it really third because it is only a 4 speed transmission.

Probably because it is a manual 5 speed tranny...

You may have a broken shift fork or a gear that is damaged...I would say that you will need to disassemble the tranny to determine what happened inside unfortunately...

That or replace it with a good used unit...

My bad! Overlooked that, internal problem

Back