• Register Today It's free!

Repair Prices All over the Map

zap0007

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLS Sport Trac
I have a 04 Explorer Sport Trac 2WD XLS with 83K miles and recently was getting a strange sound coming from tires/wheels at 35+mph - at first I thought it was tire noise - I had them replaced last year and now they only had 10K on them, however the good folks at Discount Tire drove the ST and agreed with me that the noise was coming from the tires so they up graded me to a better tire Kuhmo - for about $125 - well the tires were changed, the noise got quieter but was still there.

I started doing internet search and found this site - Great Info BTW.

I decided to have my front bearings changed based on the info in the forum - here are the phone price quotes I got from three different shops:

(I asked for a price to have the both front inner and outer bearing and seal replaced on my 2004 Ford Sport trac 2 wheel Drive so the price quoted is parts and labor)

1. Team Ford in Marietta GA - $900 to 950 :thumbdwn:
2. Cherokee Ford in Woodstock GA - $485 :thumbdwn:
3. Minakee Auto Repair in Woodstock $185 :rolleyes:

So this is what I did - purchased the national brand parts at Advance Auto all parts (four bearings and two seals) cost $50.32 (with my military discount :salute:) :thumbsup:

Had a local shop Giddeons Automotive in Woodstock install them for $79 labor charge :thumbsup:

Total price of the job was about $130 :D:thumbsup:

I know I could have purchased the parts on the net for less and could have installed them myself (if I had the jack stands and know how)

but my question is how can the prices be so off the wall at the dealerships? If I did not know much about cars, I could see how I could have been ripped off.

BTW it was a bad front right (passenger side) outer bearing - took care of the noise that terrified my wife. (it's always best to replace the bearings as a set since labor cost is the same)

Thanks for the great forum :thumbsup:

Andy :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe they assumed you had a 4x4, but that is still crazy for them. A 4x2 is no different than most cars/trucks....2 cones/2cups/1 seal per side.......simple.

hard to say.. way way different. too bad you didn't get a break down of what the diff in parts and labor was

Parts from the dealer are controlled by what the manufactur charges the dealership plus mark up. Labor is controlled by the Labor Time guide.

Some use Mitchel, some use Motors or Chilton, and many now use ALDATA.

still seems way too much fluctation in price...

dealerships are a rip off?

is that a statement or a question? I guess it depends on what you want, need and value you recieve.

High..? yes
Rip off? some can tend to over charge and their for a rip off. Some are honest and have value with their charges.
did you ever notice how 'nice" the cheap places are? how do you think they got so crappy? because they don't have the money... where does the money come from?

There is a saying.. Charge what the market can bear... too much.. and your out of business because your a rip off.. too little and you are a dump and many don't want to deal with a dump or shoddy looking place of business.
900 vs 130.. That's extreame on both ends...

You will have to decide on where on that spectrum you want to be.. and who you want to do business with

I avoid the dealers. I have found a great mechanic who has a nice shop, does good work, very quick too. He did a radiator on my GF's Kia sorento for 260. 200 of that was the radiator cost. So for 60 bucks he put in a radiator. Thats a deal. He installs shocks for ten bucks a piece, you cannot beat that.

Dealerships around here are known for high labor rates, replacing parts that don't need to be replaced and sub par mechanics.

is that a statement or a question? I guess it depends on what you want, need and value you recieve.

High..? yes
Rip off? some can tend to over charge and their for a rip off. Some are honest and have value with their charges.
did you ever notice how 'nice" the cheap places are? how do you think they got so crappy? because they don't have the money... where does the money come from?

There is a saying.. Charge what the market can bear... too much.. and your out of business because your a rip off.. too little and you are a dump and many don't want to deal with a dump or shoddy looking place of business.
900 vs 130.. That's extreame on both ends...

You will have to decide on where on that spectrum you want to be.. and who you want to do business with

That is why some people refer to dealerships as stealerships.

Dealerships around here are known for high labor rates, replacing parts that don't need to be replaced and sub par mechanics.

The local Ford dealer here hasn't instilled any confidence in me lately. The wife's car had a funky fuel/exhaust smell while running and I didn't have time to mess with it so we dropped it off for diagnosis (I NEVER let them do a repair with confirmation first). The mechanic said nothing was wrong as far as he could tell. Brought it home and decided to look at it myself and found a deteriorated rubber adapter staring me in the face on the front valve cover of a FWD car in less than two minutes! I used some hose lying around to fix it. They also missed a deteriorated hose going to the rear valve cover.

Then to further dig themselves into a hole we had them check out what sounded like a front suspension issue. They came back and said ALL the ball joints needed replaced and the mechanic said it was the worst he had ever seen on a Taurus. He also said it would never pass a safety inspection in its current state. Well I have never seen all the ball joints go bad at once so I took it to a small repair place at a gas station. They said it was a bad tie rod end and replaced it then inspected the car (it passed) while it was there. The car drives great now with no discernible problems.

I think this dealer has mechanics ginning up unneeded repairs to keep them in work. I also think the management knows this is happening and condones the practice. I am sure they aren't the only dealer doing it.

Now that.. my friend.. sounds like a rip off.. all 4 ball joints.. don't do business with that place.

A chain is no stronger than it's weakest link... That statement applys to most businesses,, but sadly.. some business owners, or managers don't get it.

Weed out your crooks... and charge fairly.. profits will fall in place.

I have been a business owner most of my adult life. I have found the best marketing strategy is to have loyal, satisfied customers who give you repeat business. It is also best for your bottom line.

you did the right thing in getting multiple quotes. you did good again by getting the parts yourself. i always ask for a second opinion when getting anything done to my car, be it from another mechanic, a friend, or you guys on the forum, to even google and youtube. we recently took our mini cooper S to our mechanic to have it serviced for a rattling noise (timing chain tensioner) and our mechanic sure enough diagnosed it correctly. he told us that there was a tech bulletin out on the tensioner and that it was a defective part and that we should take it back to BMW to have them replace it for free. he said if they wouldnt, he would do it for 400 bucks, 35.00 for the tensioner, and 100 for a new chain, the rest for labor. so we took it to BMW and they not only told us they wouldnt replace it for free, and that it would cost 2500-3500 dollars. i asked him to itemize why it would cost that much, he said it would take 1, 8 hour day at 150.00 per hour. so i told him that 1 8 hour day at 150.00 does not even come close to equaling 3500 dollars. he had no response. after talking to their corporate office and getting the bureau of automitve repairs involved, the bureau told me and BMW that they would make a recommendation to a judge in small claims court that i was in the right. after then getting a lawyer, they finally agreed to settle out of court and that they would fix everything for free.

moral of the story is, dont ever trust a dealership with your hard earned money! they assume everyone is stupid, and too affraid to ask questions, but the more questions you ask, the more you learn. thatas why i love this forum!

I have been a business owner most of my adult life. I have found the best marketing strategy is to have loyal, satisfied customers who give you repeat business. It is also best for your bottom line.

High Five Eddie !!

Back