Rearend and tranny 97' Explorer 5.0 2WD Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rearend and tranny 97' Explorer 5.0 2WD Help

ExplorerMan5.0

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 5.0L 2WD
I will be driving down the road and when I let go of the gas a roaring noise comes from my rear end. Im not sure if its the rear end or tranny cause the tranny grinds when going into OD. Would that be a tourqe converter?
-- Dylan Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably Rearend

I had to rebuild the rear in mine at around 90,000 miles due to one of the carrier bearing giving up the ghost. It would let the ring gear carrier assembly move out of adjustment when coasting and sounded pretty weird. I only know what it was because the same thing had happened to the 8" in my old Falcon Ranchero. The noise is very distinct......

The OD deal sounds like other more expensive problems....

I had to rebuild the rear in mine at around 90,000 miles due to one of the carrier bearing giving up the ghost. It would let the ring gear carrier assembly move out of adjustment when coasting and sounded pretty weird. I only know what it was because the same thing had happened to the 8" in my old Falcon Ranchero. The noise is very distinct......

The OD deal sounds like other more expensive problems....

When I take off my wheels in the back the whole rear end moves in and out. Is that what your talking about the ring gear?

Wo......

I am pretty sure I would tear into that unit......right away. That does not sound good to me. Is it the axle shaft itself that moves in and out? I'd investigate that before I drove it any more.

I am pretty sure I would tear into that unit......right away. That does not sound good to me. Is it the axle shaft itself that moves in and out? I'd investigate that before I drove it any more.

I drove this to flordia like this (I livee in TN) and its getting worst. I'm also talking about were the tire bolts on that hole thing moves in and out.

I drove this to flordia like this (I livee in TN) and its getting worst. I'm also talking about were the tire bolts on that hole thing moves in and out.

the tire bolts on to the end of the axle shaft - the axle shaft is held in by c clips inside the diff. from what youve said i think fordpickupman is right about carrier bearings - pop the diff cover off and take a look - also look at the 4 bolts that hold the carrier in - if one came loose it could let the carrier move around causing that noise.

Back