4.0 to 5.0...Problems? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 to 5.0...Problems?

Ill see what happens with the drive train when i get to it.

Im really wanting selectable, so ill try to find a 4406.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a 97 truck then you will need a transfer case(or tail housing) with a speed sensor. The Explorers have that in 97 back, but not in 98 on. For the BW4406 out of the other trucks, you can use a 97 or 98, they took out the speed sensor after 1998 in Navigators and Expeditions. If you do go that route, find the threads here of others who have trucks with the 4406 in it, both manual or electric. Those can give you a list of parts needed to bolt in the BW4406's.

Depending on your state inspection/emissions requirements... can't change engine size in PA... Shops will refuse to inspect with different engines specifications (different engine block). Saw a few people turned away with a different motor then originally speced out.

I don't know of any state...including CA and AZ (which are two of the worst) that won't allow you to to switch to any combination that was OE offered for the year of vehicle...or later. What this means is as long as what you are switching to was offered from the factory, and you swap EVERYTHING over (emissions, ECM, etc) you are good to go. You can also go to a later model set up as long as you swap everything over and it was factory offered. If you saw people turned away, I suspect they either didn't do their homework, or they didn't follow these rules.

So i talked to Curtis today about it and he said that as long as i research this thoroughly hell let me do the swap. He wants me to find out what all i need, what its going to take, everything.

Im going to try to take the whole drivetrain out of the eddie and put it into the XLT. that includes the front spindles and front diff. since im taking the whole drive train out im guessing itll just bolt up. If i do that will i have to take the rear end out also or would i be able to keep the rear end in them?

I was told i did not have to switch PCM's which i know ill have to, which will also keep the harness for it. If i do take the harness would i be able to keep the console computer with it or would it not work?

Since this is a factory offered package and manufacturers tend to be lazy this should just drop in with no fabing required right?

You can keep the axles as they are if they are the same ratio. The whole deal should be bolt in.

You can keep the axles as they are if they are the same ratio. The whole deal should be bolt in.

Thats the thing tho...i dont know if they are the same or not.

He would also have to swap in the front diff, spindles, axle shafts and all of the other related things that are 2wd/4wd specific. You can check the gear ratio by looking at the door tag. The V8 will be a 3.73, I assume, I think they all are. D4 is the code for a 3.73 limited slip.

I just checked. The Eddie (5.0) has the D4 code (3.73 gears). The XLT has a C code...what is this?

EDIT:

Specs:
Code Capacity Ratio
43 Open 3200 3.08
41 Open 3200 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3200 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3200 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
L73 Limited Slip 3.73
L - Limited Slip Differential
C - Conventional Differential

So that tells me that it is a conventional rear end...but not the gear ratio.

That's weird, I've never saw a door jamb sticker with an axle code that didn't make sense. There are VIN decoders online that could probably tell you what it is.

you will need to take the PCM. It's about a 2 minute swap. Take the engine wiring harnesses with you too. In some swaps, I've even had to swap the dash harnesses, but that shouldn't be necessary here. But if you want the message center and console too, I would consider doing just that...swap the dash and console harnesses.

By the way, the very first thing you need for this job is a factory wiring manual. Don't even consider starting this without one. And learn how to read and interpret the data.

By the way, the very first thing you need for this job is a factory wiring manual. Don't even consider starting this without one. And learn how to read and interpret the data.

Considering that im doing this at school that has both Mitchel On Demand and Alldata that should cover everything i need to know about the wiring right?

wrong :)
Alldatadiy.com is hit or miss for wiring, it does have some good info for the Explorer though

You dont need to know much wiring though IMO not when you are parking a 97 5.0L v8 next to a 97 4.0L and swapping drivetrains, its pretty damn easy

If you find a 4406 and want to go 4x4 or awd its a bit moer tricky, but still everything is a bolt in affair, ie plug and play

You need the engine/trans harness from the donor, as well as the PCM, exhaust etc. For the message center, since you have the whole donor vehicle, swap the dash harness and console. The wiring is much different for trucks without that high end feature. The AC controls are also matched with the dash harness, and so is the radio, steering wheel controls etc. Take your time on the wiring to unplug it all intact.

Ok, so the truck is in the shop now. About to have the front end cut off. I plan on doing a How To on this if you guys would like me to.

So right now im looking up on how to disable the ABS...dont want to get shot with that.

You must mean the SRS...not the ABS, eh?

I also agree with Jamie...get the factory wiring manual. I've seen too many others with mistakes and just flat wrong information.

Cutting the rad support off sure make it easy to get the V8 drivetrain out :)

I did this with my 96, you still have to pull the center console though, with the V8 thats un-avoidable. I choose to just cut the carpet once the console is out instead of pulling the seats...once the carpet is back in the cut is hidden (if the truck doesnt get crushed like mine did)

I always want to see pics, so yeah a how to is necessary! I am doing an engine replacement in a 98 XLT 5.0L right now... even though I have done this like 8 times, I still take pics and do a write up :)

You must mean the SRS...not the ABS, eh?

I also agree with Jamie...get the factory wiring manual. I've seen too many others with mistakes and just flat wrong information.

No, the SRS blew when i hit the wall. Some ABS systems hold 5,000PSI of pressure (Instructor said some have 50,000 PSI) and by unhooking a line without depressurizing the system could result in getting injected with brake fluid. All it said to do was unhook the negative battery cable and unhook the wires.

A guy here at the school injected himself in the thumb with hydrolic fluid right before i got here. They rushed him to the ER to get it totally removed.

If anyone is looking to buy either an ABS modulator or ABS pump their for sale now.

well the engine and all that is just about to come out. Just a few more bolts and maybe a few stray wires and i think ill have it out.

I think that im going to have a hell of a time trying to get the motor out of the XLT and the 5.0 put back it. Its taken 3 days to get it out without a front end to have to deal with.

5.0 into a 98 Sport

Anyone know if i would have any issues doing this swap into a sport? Mine is 4x4, and I'd like to keep it that way not make it into an awd, but that shouldnt be a problem since i am keeping my transfer case right? Will it bolt up? Have to take the V8 tranny too, since i would probably rip mine apart. Might have to figure out something for the front suspension since the 302 weighs a heck of a lot more than my SOHC.

wrong wrong and wrong

:)

the SOHC is about the same weight as a 5.0L
the V8 transmission is heavier though
You can keep your front diff, but not your 4x4
The 5.0L trucks are only AWD
To get 4x4 in your 98 sport you would, again, need a 4406 transfer case

This thread is for FordNova however, you jsut hijacked it! LOL

I suggest you try searching around the forums a bit, you are not the first person to ask if a 5.0L V8 explorer dirvetrain will bolt into your 98 Explorer sport, the answer is HECK YEAH it will, but you still have alot of things to consider before turning any wrenches = research!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, that definitely gives me some things to think about. I just got a new (for me) civic, hooray for 35mpg! So the X is being retired as a daily driver. I'm planning on turning it into a full time toy. Going to do a SAS for sure, maybe while i have it torn apart for that i'll drop in a 5.0 too. Thanks for the info, although the more i find out what is possible to do with this thing the more i think about selling a kidney to do it, lol.

Back